Kimber Pro and Ultra Aegis II

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro and Ultra Aegis II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been super pleased with the performance of 9 mm Pro Aegis II so this week I traded in the last of my SIGs ...

Thread: Kimber Pro and Ultra Aegis II

Kimber Pro and Ultra Aegis II

I have been super pleased with the performance of 9 mm Pro Aegis II so this week I traded in the last of my SIGs a got a new 9mm Ultra Aegis II as a companion piece. I took both to the range this morning and ran about 200 rounds of 124 grain FMJs and a handful of Gold Dot HPs through the new Ultra. No issues at all except for one magazine that is still not always locking back ater the final round. Shooting off the bench and standing 2 hand shooting both guns were very accurate at 15 yards. Off the bench I got several 1-1.5" groups when I did my part. Great guns! The Ultra Aegis will serve as my primary CCW as soon as I get a few hundred more rounds through it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DennisE; January 26th, 2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Add photos

2. Remove Ads

yep. my fav as well! congrats
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I own the Kimber Pro Aegis II and I love it, It is my carry peice and It has given me no problems so far. It is a good looking peice on top of it all. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who loves this weapon.

TDPalmer

My carry gun is an Ultra Aegis II. It would not lock open on an empty mag when new. Kimber sent me a new slide stop and it has not failed since. It has never had a FTF, FTE, or FTRB. It is very accurate for such a small pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    yep. my fav as well! congrats

Is it your fav because that's what you have or because you have tried many different models, types and and sizes of 1911's and the Aegis is what you settled on? If this is the case what have you also owned, tried and compared to the Aegis and what makes the Aegis stand out over the rest of them? Why would the Aegis stand out over my Ultra CDP?

DennisE, all you need now is a compact!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I agree with TDP that the Aegis is my favorite 1911. I have owned 2Colt Commanders, a couple of S&W 1911s, a Kimber CDP II and a Kimber Pro Carry II. Of these the CDP II would be an equal perhaps if I could afford to shoot as much .45 ACP as I can 9mm. Also a provisional tie but for the same reason would be the S&W 945 which outshoots any other .45 I owned or touched but then it's not really a 1911. All things considered I love the Aegis trigger, reliability, low maintance on the range and quick shot to shot recovery times. As to why anyone else would share this preference...that's between you and your guns. Dennis

I just pickup a kimber Aegis ultra II. It has not been to the reage but if it is like my other ultras i am sure it will be on of my carry guns.

Here it is pictured with my 45 black & 40 ss
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

yea. ill admit that my aegis is my fav cuz its my only pistol,
    but i do work at a range and have tried MANY 1911s. including subcompact ones. and i still like mine the best.
    Georg Büchner

I got an email asking why I got rid of my SIG 239 SAS. I case it might be of interest to others here is what I replied:

I love the 239 pistol. It's a great gun to carry and I've owned many versions in 9mm, .357 SIG, and .40 S&W. That said I've never liked the DA/SA trigger set up in a CCW. Yes with that 10 lb DA trigger it's very safe but as a long time range officer I've noticed in myself and others the tendency to frequently miss with the first shot or at least not place it well especially under time stress as in IDPA competition. My head tells me that in a life threatening situation the first shot is most important, and it may be all you get. So I started shooting the 239 and 229 SAS. Much better performance on the first shot but with the uniform 7+ or - lb trigger on all the follow up shoots overall I wasn't shooting as well on follow ups as with the 4.5 lb SA trigger on the standard DA/SA models.

As a result I now carry and shoot either the 9mm SA Kimber Pro or Ultra Aegis II pistols which both have consistent 4 lb triggers. I shoot faster and better with 'em than with the SIGs. I've become comfortable with cocked and locked carry and they CCW easily in my Milt Sparks Versimax2 IWB holster.

What's up with that funky hammer on the Aegis? Can a "normal" 1911 hammer be dropped in as a replacement? The stock hammer looks like a snag hazard and looks like it would be hard to drop the hammer by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by arsaks4ever View Post
    What's up with that funky hammer on the Aegis? Can a "normal" 1911 hammer be dropped in as a replacement? The stock hammer looks like a snag hazard and looks like it would be hard to drop the hammer by hand.
    1. Yes you can replace the 'funky hammer' with a 'normal' hammer.

2. In my experience the Aegis stock hammer does what it is designed to do...it never snags on anything!

3. It is not possible to drop the stock hammer by hand...but then why would you want to? I've had and carried various 1911s for years and never had reason to drop a hammer by hand on any of 'em...but then I only carry in Condition 1, not Condition 2. Thanks for your interest, Dennis

I have always been a Colt fan but purchased a CDP II a few months ago. I think Kimber makes as fine a pistol as you can buy!! For me, the single action 1911 style gun is much more simple and faster to operate than a DA. That long trigger pull on a DA gun just too slow ---- (for my taste). Carrying cocked and locked has never bothered me either.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by arsaks4ever View Post
    its called a bobbed hammer. i actually like it better.
    no it doesnt snag at all, and yes you can always get spurred (normal) hammer for it.
    the main difference is that when it is not cocked, the hammer lies completely flat. (which means you cant cock it by pulling it back, you must rack the slide- but i see no reason to do it by hand)

edit: drop the hammer by hand? why would you?
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    Very nice!

Links