Function check on Springfield XD

This is a discussion on Function check on Springfield XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I'm extremely inexperienced when it comes to semi-auto pistols and have finally decided to make the leap. A gun show is happening soon ...

Thread: Function check on Springfield XD

Hey all,

I'm extremely inexperienced when it comes to semi-auto pistols and have finally decided to make the leap.

A gun show is happening soon and I'm looking to pick up a used XD. I'm mechanicly retarded, are there any simple ways to check to make sure I'm not getting a lemon?

My advice to you is to go take a class from a certified instructor before you do anything; they will step you through the process of becoming familiar.

FYI, the XD pistol has two very distinct ways to alert you off the condition of the pistol; First, on top of the slide there is a loaded chamber indicator; on the back of the slide there is a small pin which protrudes to tell you that the striker/firing pin mechanism is ready to fire when the trigger is pulled.

And the difference in price between a used and new XD cannot be that significant, I would buy new, especially if you are as inexperienced as you say you are. then, before I loaded, fired or did any serious handling, I would take that class I mentioned earlier.

then practice a lot before I carried it.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    http://www.gunblast.com/images/Sprin...5/MVC-589F.jpg

in this picture shows if a XD have a bullet in the chamber

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/fc9b3336.jpg

this one shows if the gun is cocked
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Any gun can be a lemon even the $4000 however lots of people got them so take a chance I did and I love mine.
    Work the action it should operate smoothly, test the safeties if its good to go I say buy it. You may be able to call SA and give them the SN and they could tell if they got it back for service.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Buy a new one.IMHO

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Basically, you want to check to make sure all of the safety features are intact and working properly. After checking the gun for clear, do the following.

1. Without depressing the grip safety, attempt to rack the slide - it shouldn't move more than 1/2" or so. Depressing the grip safety is required for the slide to move.

2. With the gun in battery and the striker indicator sticking out of the back of the slide, try to pull the trigger without pressing the trigger safety or grip safety. You should not be able to fire the pistol without BOTH of these safeties disengaged.

3. After dry firing, hold the trigger all the way back, and rack the slide. The striker status indicator should be visible. Slowly release the trigger, feeling for the reset - it should occur about halfway through the range of motion.

4. If the dealer will let you, take the gun down, and inspect the internals. If anything looks broken, very worn, or galled, pass on the gun. Normal shiny spots on wear points are okay, as is the half-moon shaped wear spot on the top of the barrel (visible with slide back). While you've got it broken down, take out the recoil spring and barrel, and inspect the bore. It should be clean and shiny, with very sharply defined rifling. If you can see scratches, or if the rifling is worn and dull, pass. There really isn't much I can suggest beyond this that doesn't require a relatively intimate knowledge of how the gun works (i.e. punching out the striker stop pin and removing the back plate to do internal inspections on the slide components).

Basically, if the safeties check out and the bore is good, the cosmetic appearance is up to you.

I hope this helps!

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

I've been a wheel-gun only kind of guy for a while. I'm the fool in boot camp who took 3 weeks to learn how to fully disassemble the grunt-proof M16 ;)

I've been a wheel-gun only kind of guy for a while. I'm the fool in boot camp who took 3 weeks to learn how to fully disassemble the grunt-proof M16 ;)
    Most of what you've said tells me you're really looking for a GLOCK! No intentions of starting arguments, just my perception here.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Follow the advice Chooie gave you and you will be fine.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I would go to the Local Gun Shop and just talk to them and DON'T be scared to ask questions!! but thats just my .02 also take a look at youtube.com and do some searches on xd's and function checks so on and so forth.

I'm with Ram Rod...If you took that long to learn something as basic as an M-16, and were comfortable with revolvers before, why not stick with them? If you absolutely NEED a semi auto, stick with a Glock and pay someone to clean/service it twice a year.

I think I will take a look into glocks, never shot one and never heard of their reputation for being so user friendly.

I just liked the XD because of the hi-cap and my experience shooting a rented one a couple weeks ago. Had much tighter groups than I made with my J frame and I liked the light(er) trigger.

The xd's are very easy to shoot and maintain. If you can chamber a round on this gun, then you can take it down. Simple as that. As to buying it used, you aren't going to find much of a price difference. A used xd may run 75-100 dollars less than new. If you watch sales, normally you'll find a new one for close to used. I would take a look at that. One thing to know is that the older xd's had a different type of finish than the newer ones and were prone to rusting and pitting. This has since been corrected and these are great guns. Anyways, just some things to note.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛAB

Another thing to look at on a used XD is the extractor hook. It should look sharp and square.

Glock and XD are not so different. I rented both before I bought. The XD felt better in my hands and I shot it much better. This is a very individual thing. They are both fine guns for the money and they are both good choices for SD.

If I were you I would go to a range that both rents and sells guns and has a good selection and I would rent four or five different ones. Tell them what you are doing and have them show you the manual of arms for each including take down and maintanence.

Shoot them!

Then think about it for a couple of weeks and then try the contenders again.

I am a very careful person.

Ken

Links