Talk to me about M36 Chief's Special

This is a discussion on Talk to me about M36 Chief's Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a guy that wants to trade me for my S & W M65-3 4 inch .357mag. He has a M36 Chiefs Special that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about M36 Chief's Special

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Talk to me about M36 Chief's Special

I have a guy that wants to trade me for my S & W M65-3 4 inch .357mag. He has a M36 Chiefs Special that although has some blemishes is in great shape. I have been wanting a snubbie for pocket carry for sometime now. So what do you guys think?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The 36, in its standard trim, is not the best configuration for pocket carry. One issue is the weight of the steel gun vs the air-weight. The other issue is the spur on the hammer. I don't mind the weight and the Mod 36 that I have has a factory DAO bobbed hammer. It works for pocket carry, but I usually use my Mod 649 stainless bodyguard.

"The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I agree, since you said "pocket carry" you need to check out a 642.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Ojectively speaking, there may be better choices for pocket carry than the Chief's Special. But it can certainly be used very well in that role.

I love mine, and I pocket carry it very often. I have very small hands and really like the factory grips (walnut, round butt)- - I can get my pinky up on it.

It's a great gun and I'd bet you'd be very happy with it.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Funny you should mention the chief..I just bought an older one today at a gun show in charleston wv in excellent condition for $225.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Dammed fine handgun , i have only owned 12 or 14 of them over the years and have not hung onto one yet .. Since i like them it says something lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Personally I'd hold out for a shrouded hammer humpback. The Holy Grail in 2" .38s for me are the old MSP M49s with stainless cylinders. In the 80s when MSP got rid of 'em they were a dime a dozen at all the gun shows. Haven't seen one since.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Administrator
    I really like my 36, but I think you would be getting the short end in that deal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    What SIXTO said.

S&W recently re-introduced the Model 40 Centennial without the internal lock. It's all steel and a bit heavy for pocket carry, but still a better choice for that role than the M36.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I really like my 36, but I think you would be getting the short end in that deal.
    I thought they were valued around the same with edge actually going to the 36?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I thought they were valued around the same with edge actually going to the 36?
    This is true, however your trading away a solid 357 for a 38... a 38 that you probably wont be happy with for your intended use. I have and really like an older 36. I wouldnt trade it away for anything, but a pocket gun its not.

Your 357 is much more useful gun and better trade material down the road. If a 36 is what you want, the trade is OK. I just think you should be able to trade the 357 for a better pocket gun, like a 642/637/442.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is true, however your trading away a solid 357 for a 38... a 38 that you probably wont be happy with for your intended use. I have and really like an older 36. I wouldnt trade it away for anything, but a pocket gun its not.

Your 357 is much more useful gun and better trade material down the road. If a 36 is what you want, the trade is OK. I just think you should be able to trade the 357 for a better pocket gun, like a 642/637/442.
    Well, I do already have a true pocket gun with my Kel-Tec......

I have just wanted a snubbie for a while and this is a flat latch Chief's Special......

Tough decision. I'll sleep on it since nothing is set in stone yet.

Administrator
    I dont mean to talk you out of the trade, if its what you want go for it. The 36 is a classic for sure.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I dont mean to talk you out of the trade, if its what you want go for it. The 36 is a classic for sure.
    Well that is why I wanted to discuss it. I like to hear others chime in and yours is a very respected opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    The 36, in its standard trim, is not the best configuration for pocket carry. One issue is the weight of the steel gun vs the air-weight. The other issue is the spur on the hammer. I don't mind the weight and the Mod 36 that I have has a factory DAO bobbed hammer. It works for pocket carry, but I usually use my Mod 649 stainless bodyguard.

I like my Chief for all the above reasons: I hate light frame small revolvers. They are very difficult for me to shoot well, but my" heavy"
    old fashioned steel frame 36 is very accurate and dependable for me.
    I like the exposed hammer, even for carrying in a pocket holster (put your thumb over it when you draw-problem over)
    Mine has survived nearly 30 years of carry and is still tight and accurate.

mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links