Defensive Carry banner

Talk to me about M36 Chief's Special

5K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Steve48 
#1 ·
I have a guy that wants to trade me for my S & W M65-3 4 inch .357mag. He has a M36 Chiefs Special that although has some blemishes is in great shape. I have been wanting a snubbie for pocket carry for sometime now. So what do you guys think?

#2 ·
The 36, in its standard trim, is not the best configuration for pocket carry. One issue is the weight of the steel gun vs the air-weight. The other issue is the spur on the hammer. I don't mind the weight and the Mod 36 that I have has a factory DAO bobbed hammer. It works for pocket carry, but I usually use my Mod 649 stainless bodyguard.

#15 ·
I like my Chief for all the above reasons: I hate light frame small revolvers. They are very difficult for me to shoot well, but my" heavy"
old fashioned steel frame 36 is very accurate and dependable for me.
I like the exposed hammer, even for carrying in a pocket holster (put your thumb over it when you draw-problem over)
Mine has survived nearly 30 years of carry and is still tight and accurate.

mark

#4 ·
Ojectively speaking, there may be better choices for pocket carry than the Chief's Special. But it can certainly be used very well in that role.

I love mine, and I pocket carry it very often. I have very small hands and really like the factory grips (walnut, round butt)- - I can get my pinky up on it.

It's a great gun and I'd bet you'd be very happy with it.

#5 ·
Funny you should mention the chief..I just bought an older one today at a gun show in charleston wv in excellent condition for $225.

#6 ·
Dammed fine handgun , i have only owned 12 or 14 of them over the years and have not hung onto one yet .. Since i like them it says something lol .

#7 ·
Personally I'd hold out for a shrouded hammer humpback. The Holy Grail in 2" .38s for me are the old MSP M49s with stainless cylinders. In the 80s when MSP got rid of 'em they were a dime a dozen at all the gun shows. Haven't seen one since. :frown:

#9 ·
What SIXTO said.:yup:

S&W recently re-introduced the Model 40 Centennial without the internal lock. It's all steel and a bit heavy for pocket carry, but still a better choice for that role than the M36.

#19 ·
I don't mind the weight of the steel-framed Model 36 nor do I object to its hammer. I find that I prefer carrying and shooting it over my Model 642. I cover the hammer with my thumb when I draw it, whether from waistband or pocket and havn't had a problem with the spur snagging.

#22 ·
I carried one for years as my “bug” on duty and the primary off duty. Then in 1990 my wife took it away from me and I went to the model 60. I bobbed the hammer on both and never looked back. I put the Clip Draw belt clip on the model 60 and I love it. I would go for it. Hard to beat S&W model 36.

#23 ·
Doc,

I would keep the 65. There are other 36s out there that are a whole lot less. The one in my pic cost me $250 and that was the upper end of what I would have paid for it. Keep looking, deals are out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.