which ccw would you recommend?

This is a discussion on which ccw would you recommend? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a easy to conceal. A S@W 38 airweight , a Kahr pm9 or a Walther PPS? The Glock 26 and 27 are down the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In a easy to conceal. A S@W 38 airweight , a Kahr pm9 or a Walther PPS? The Glock 26 and 27 are down the list .Now for home use I am looking at the Glock 30 or 36. Still researching . Thanks .

Administrator
    Depends on a few things, mainly how experianced you are, how you want to carry the gun and how much risk you want to take on a new design.
    "Just blame Sixto"

PPS if you don't like Glocks.

Sixto makes a good point with his post. Check it out.

Im A Big fan of the Springfield XD's.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboyz View Post
    In a easy to conceal. A S@W 38 airweight , a Kahr pm9 or a Walther PPS? The Glock 26 and 27 are down the list .Now for home use I am looking at the Glock 30 or 36. Still researching . Thanks .

Depends on a lot, but if those are your choices I like the Airweight for concealability.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Kahr pm9
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

Get what is comfortable for you, and you can shoot accurately.

Hit the larger guns hops and chain stores where they have just about every hand gun made on display.

Size and weight makes the biggest difference when you start talking about the method of carry, then your body type comes into play. A good leather OWB pancake holster will distribute the weight of a heavy gun better than a narrow belt or clip holster.

Just because it is not one of the most common or popular guns, does not mean that it is no good. It does limit you holster options a bit.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Since you are the person who would be carrying it and shooting it, I recommend you go to several gunshops and try every pistol of any type that looks good to you. Handle them, check the features you see, see how it feels in your hand, don't worry about "what is best".
    Pick what feels most comfortable to you.
    If you buy a gun on someone elses recommendation and find you don't like it, you will not carry or shoot it.
    Buy something that seems right to you, learn to shoot it and you will be better off.

Good luck
    mark

Pros and cons

A S@W 38 airweight , a Kahr pm9 or a Walther PPS?
    A lot depends on how you intend to conceal the gun, which you haven't mentioned. The .38 airweight and the Kahr PM9 are both good pocket guns, while the Walther PPS is a little larger and probably best for inside the waistband belt carry.

Both the revolver and the Kahr are very lightweight with small grips, and difficult to shoot accurately because of this. They are definitely intended to be short range defense against an attacker who is right on top of you. Some owners use them as backup guns in a weak side pocket and rely on a larger primary gun carried on the belt.

If this is your first CCW gun I would recommend one of the larger guns you mentioned (Glocks 26, 27, 30 or 36) and belt carry on your strong side. Of the four, the 9mm Glock 26 is by far the easiest to shoot well, and would give you 10 rounds of capacity.

Here is Ken Lunde's Glock 26 photo:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member
    Out of your list---1st Kahr, if its reliable, then Walther, fairly new design, so a little untested.

Good-luck

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

A S@W 38 airweight , a Kahr pm9 or a Walther PPS? The Glock 26 and 27 ...
    For ease of concealment, on that list, the PM9 is hard to beat. But the Walther PPS has promise. If it proves to be reliable and durable, it's every bit as small as a snubbie revolver, yet thinner. If you want known reliability and durability, in a semi-auto, the Glocks should be given serious consideration. Had a PM9 and my specific gun as a tad less than reliable. That said, of the list provided, I'd probably opt for the Walther PPS.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What ever gun feels right and points naturally for you! Home defense duty get a full size gun.

I like Kel-tec and Smiths for my carry guns all in DAO flavor so no remembering where the safety is because it is my trigger finger!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

whatever gun you are going to carry, make sure it has a track record of reliability.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I love Glock's, but prefer at least a full size gun for home defense. Mine being a Ruger GP100 and SIG P226 (.40S&W), but I see no reason that I could no use with of my Glock compacts (19 or 23C) being 12+1 and 15+1 capacity respectively. All of these guns feel great in my hands and are 100% reliable.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

It all depends on taste. I've shot all of those guns, and not a one of them is a slacker. How easy do you want to be able to carry. Bar none, an airweight revovler is the easiest to carry, but is it always the easiest to shoot...some people have trouble holding and shooting revolvers while other have more difficulty with pistols. Finding the new PPS is a difficult task in most areas so trying it before you buy it is unlikely. The trigger on it is a bit grainy at first but smooths out after the first 1000 rounds or so.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links