Defensive Carry banner

which ccw would you recommend?

5K views 34 replies 32 participants last post by  palmgopher 
#1 ·
In a easy to conceal. A S@W 38 airweight , a Kahr pm9 or a Walther PPS? The Glock 26 and 27 are down the list .Now for home use I am looking at the Glock 30 or 36. Still researching . Thanks .

#23 ·
Make that at least two. Definitely worth a look. It seem's that most everyone that has an XD has a bias for XD's but than there is a reason for that. They are a truly excellent every day carry. IMO as good or better than everything else available. True, it a personal choice. Opinions will vary. That said try an XD, you'll like it and you won't regret getting it.

#7 ·
Get what is comfortable for you, and you can shoot accurately.

Hit the larger guns hops and chain stores where they have just about every hand gun made on display.

Size and weight makes the biggest difference when you start talking about the method of carry, then your body type comes into play. A good leather OWB pancake holster will distribute the weight of a heavy gun better than a narrow belt or clip holster.

Just because it is not one of the most common or popular guns, does not mean that it is no good. It does limit you holster options a bit.

#8 ·
Since you are the person who would be carrying it and shooting it, I recommend you go to several gunshops and try every pistol of any type that looks good to you. Handle them, check the features you see, see how it feels in your hand, don't worry about "what is best".
Pick what feels most comfortable to you.
If you buy a gun on someone elses recommendation and find you don't like it, you will not carry or shoot it.
Buy something that seems right to you, learn to shoot it and you will be better off.

Good luck
mark

#9 ·
Pros and cons

A S@W 38 airweight , a Kahr pm9 or a Walther PPS?
A lot depends on how you intend to conceal the gun, which you haven't mentioned. The .38 airweight and the Kahr PM9 are both good pocket guns, while the Walther PPS is a little larger and probably best for inside the waistband belt carry.

Both the revolver and the Kahr are very lightweight with small grips, and difficult to shoot accurately because of this. They are definitely intended to be short range defense against an attacker who is right on top of you. Some owners use them as backup guns in a weak side pocket and rely on a larger primary gun carried on the belt.

If this is your first CCW gun I would recommend one of the larger guns you mentioned (Glocks 26, 27, 30 or 36) and belt carry on your strong side. Of the four, the 9mm Glock 26 is by far the easiest to shoot well, and would give you 10 rounds of capacity.

Here is Ken Lunde's Glock 26 photo:

#11 ·
A S@W 38 airweight , a Kahr pm9 or a Walther PPS? The Glock 26 and 27 ...
For ease of concealment, on that list, the PM9 is hard to beat. But the Walther PPS has promise. If it proves to be reliable and durable, it's every bit as small as a snubbie revolver, yet thinner. If you want known reliability and durability, in a semi-auto, the Glocks should be given serious consideration. Had a PM9 and my specific gun as a tad less than reliable. That said, of the list provided, I'd probably opt for the Walther PPS.

#12 ·
What ever gun feels right and points naturally for you! Home defense duty get a full size gun.

I like Kel-tec and Smiths for my carry guns all in DAO flavor so no remembering where the safety is because it is my trigger finger! :yup:

#13 ·
whatever gun you are going to carry, make sure it has a track record of reliability.

#14 ·
I love Glock's, but prefer at least a full size gun for home defense. Mine being a Ruger GP100 and SIG P226 (.40S&W), but I see no reason that I could no use with of my Glock compacts (19 or 23C) being 12+1 and 15+1 capacity respectively. All of these guns feel great in my hands and are 100% reliable.

#15 ·
It all depends on taste. I've shot all of those guns, and not a one of them is a slacker. How easy do you want to be able to carry. Bar none, an airweight revovler is the easiest to carry, but is it always the easiest to shoot...some people have trouble holding and shooting revolvers while other have more difficulty with pistols. Finding the new PPS is a difficult task in most areas so trying it before you buy it is unlikely. The trigger on it is a bit grainy at first but smooths out after the first 1000 rounds or so.

#17 ·
When I want power and concealment, and I'm not taking my Kimber, I take my Glock-36, its a great weapon that will ALWAYS go boom...very easy to conceal, very comfortable.

#18 ·
Definitely up to the individual for choice!
You'll need to first try anything you consider.
Find a Range that rents what you want.
The gun needs to fit your hand.
You need to be able to hit the target, at defense distances.
I can't tell you how many I've seen who can hit well with a hefty 1911, but if they pick up a snubby or sub compact, forget it.....

#19 ·
When I first cut my teeth on CCW, I started out with the Kel-Tec P32. Now I carry the Kahr PM9 and love it. It's very easy to conceal and is comfortable with just about anything I wear.

#20 ·
+1 on the PM9. However, it all boils down to personal preference and what works best for you. I have always had the opinion that CCW would be moderately uncomfortable for me until I tried the PM9. Because of the thin, flat profile, it's very easy to carry IWB and prints minimally, if that. In fact, IF it does print, it looks like a pager or a cell phone on your hip. The only thing I didn't like was the 6+1 capacity which I remedied by carrying the 7 round extended mag in my back pocket. I gotta admit, it takes some practice to get used to the PM9, to this day I am still WAY MORE accurate with my Sig P229 but for personal defense encounters, the PM9 is plenty accurate.

#21 ·
Find a range that rents lots of different kinds of guns...or mooch them from your buddys....and shoot, shoot shoot. THEN make a decision based on the handling qualities of each gun as they relate to YOU and YOUR hand.

#24 ·
I have been carrying a PM9 for about a year now. It has been very reliable and accurate with about 1500 rounds through. Started with belt carry but now have been very happy with pocket carry. It took me 4 different firearms and a dozen holster options to get to where I am now. It is definitely a process to find what works best for you. Good luck in your search for the right carry firearm and rig. Enjoy the process!

#28 ·
I'd go with the Smith. That little J frame Airweight has been around for over half a century. And it has a great reputation for reliability. Ammo is readily available in a very wide range of choices. You don't have to break it in. You don't need to run a couple of hundred rounds of your preferred carry ammo through it to make sure it won't jam. It is cheaper than a PM-9, so you have more money for ammo.

#33 ·
If you've read any of my post you've probably figured out that I like revolvers. :smile:

I have a S&W 442 and a Kahr PM9. Of those two I prefer the 442. the reasons are, simple to operate, draws from the pocket easier, while it creates more of a "lump" in my pocket it is not as easily distinquishable as a gun, and last, but not least, for me it carries better on the ankle than the PM9.

Also, for pocket and ankle carry I tend to favor the revolver because IMHO, it's just a tad more reliable. You will be amazed at the amount of "junk" that a gun in the pocket or on the ankle accumulates in the course of a "normal" day.

As for home defense and the Glocks, go with whatever floats your boat. If you can handle the 30 and it's not too big for your hands, that would be my choice.

Biker :urla9ub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.