Questions on Glock 22 Generations 1 ,2,3?

This is a discussion on Questions on Glock 22 Generations 1 ,2,3? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the main diff in gen? and what year did they change? Im trying to become the owner of a gen 2 mod 22. I ...

What's the main diff in gen? and what year did they change?
    Im trying to become the owner of a gen 2 mod 22. I see a ton of 23 carried is the extra 1/2 inch that much harder to hide.
    It comes with a ms summer special does anyone carry this combo or had any problems with hiding them in the past?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

not sure what gen one is .. but gen 2 has no finger grooves nor rail for light gen 2.5 will handle the 357 sig also gen 2.5 some have finger grooves but no rail .
    Gen 3 has the rail finger groove and different texture on the grip

No the extra 1/2 on the grip is not hard to carry when i carried a glock i always went fullsize

I have carried a 2nd gen G23 for 11 years and it my steady companion. The difference between 2-3 gens is the acc. rail, and the grip on the 3rd has finger grooves. I use a Hogue Handall with mine and love it. Only you can decide if the extra 1/2" is a big deal. I carry the Glock +2 mag extension in mine and have no trouble concealing it.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I like my full size G17 and G22. No problems concealing them. My G27 is my anytime carry piece, and I am pondering filling some sort of void in the near future with one of the 'in-between' size (G19).

I have a G22 (full-size) and a G19(compact), and either is relatively easy to conceal. The G19 has a few more concealment options if you're not doing the standard IWB holster. I'm a huge fan of the G22 as it combines a great round, with a great gun, and a decent magazine capacity.

Gen 1 is a stippled front strap
    Gen 2 is checkered front strap, starting in 1990
    Gen 3 has finger grooves on the front strap, starting around 1997

I am pretty confident that Glock never offered a .40 in a Gen 1 frame.

Thanks guys

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    "Borrowed picture" probably from GlockTalk. Should answer the question asked.
    Attached Images

Thanks for the picture LenS. Not too many people see gen1s, and Shizzlemah is correct, there never were gen1s in .40 to the best of my knowledge.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    GlockTalk's Glocking forum has a listing for "important info" (don't recall the exact title). Opening that gives you threads with S/Ns, I think "break-points" for each generation are given as well. Most Glocks came out after Gen 2 frames were introduced, so you'll find Gen 2 or 3 . . . I think there is a Gen 2.5 as well for some. S/N info might be found here: http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=412093

For example, my Wife owns a 1989 mfd G17 and that is Gen 2, so the transition from Gen 1 guns to Gen 2 was within few years of the first Glocks on the market. I think that Gen 3 came out in early 1998. Please don't Take these dates as gospel, as I'm shooting from memory here.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    My first EDC was a Glock 22 in a Max-con V IWB. It was not hard to conceal at all.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

sounds like a good gun,but i think im going another direction on the holster. some will know what i mean

The Generations have other differences as well. Some early Gen II guns had a single pin for the loading block and trigger--this is a problem.

The Gen II guns were notoriously 'loose' in the slide to frame fit--you can see right through them with ease.

The chamber support on the Gen I and Gen II guns was pretty loose, modified in later Gen II and all Gen III guns.

Other than that, you guys are right on the money!

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    The Generations have other differences as well. Some early Gen II guns had a single pin for the loading block and trigger--this is a problem.

The Gen II guns were notoriously 'loose' in the slide to frame fit--you can see right through them with ease.

The chamber support on the Gen I and Gen II guns was pretty loose, modified in later Gen II and all Gen III guns.

Other than that, you guys are right on the money!

HK Dan

Is it a fixable problem or just a problem.How big of a problem seldom hear bad things about glocks. It is a gen II
    In a few days mine will come in, then I can check dating by ser.#

Links