What is the least expensive handgun you would trust to get you through the night? - Page 3

What is the least expensive handgun you would trust to get you through the night?

This is a discussion on What is the least expensive handgun you would trust to get you through the night? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cant put a price om my life or that of my families i would buy the best firearm i could afford, untill i got ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the least expensive handgun you would trust to get you through the night?

I cant put a price om my life or that of my families i would buy the best firearm i could afford, untill i got money together for a better one. its a continueing program that will never end. for me. but if i had to choose one pistol to use for one night and stake my life on it, it would have to be a Springfield Mil-Spec.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Russian Makarov (commercial). Bought new for $120 about 13 years ago. Has functioned flawlessly every since.

Of course, if something goes bump in the night I'm grabbing my Dan Wesson PM7 1911. Bought new for $565, not counting the $320 in trade I got for my G27. Resulting cost: $240!

To get me through the night ? Ruger P-series. Actually, they would be good for a long weekend too.

Thankfully I can afford not to worry about this one, I'll stick with my HK thank you very much.

When you're talking cheap house protection, I'd switch my thoughts to a Mossberg or Remingon 12 gauge pump. Used in great shape...under $200.
    With 00 or 000 buck, its a nasty opponent!

Taurus 85. 38spl., rubber grips, fits in the pocket. Quick and speedy.

I thought the Taurus Millennium Pro PT 145 was a pretty affordable pocket cannon in 10 + 1 rounds of .45 ACP. It cost me $ 419 new...It was the DAO model and it serves its purpose: light weight, dependable...and all in .45 ACP!

I no longer carry it...but it sits on my night stand now for home defense.

Distinguished Member
    Your question is hard to follow.

My cheapest hand-gun that I would put on the head-board for any given, average night----Llama 9-mm 1911 type. I bought it new back when Wal-mart actually STOCKED hand-guns, so you know how long that's been. I paid $200-$250 for it.

Then cheapest new gun that I could go out and buy at this time--I would have to say a Kel-Tec PF-9, purchased one several months ago for $260.00 out the door.

Truth be told, I have my first pistol I ever owned, my mom had to buy it for me, I was only 16 at the time. I think its a HS 22lr revolver, paid something like $50.00 for it. I have lived or should we say slept through about 18,000 nights, and have never pulled my gun on anyone, so for one night I would not loose any sleep over it on my head-board.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    To clarify, if I knew I was going to NEED a gun, a used G17.
    To clarify, if I KNEW I was going to NEED a gun, a 12 guage shotgun loaded with 00 Buck.
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

JD
    Administrator
    True, but I'm trying to keep with in the original intent of the thread.

What I should have said was: If I knew I was going to NEED a handgun...

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Easy,....Hi-point,...I DO currently own a .40S&W version, its somewhat ergonomic (fits better in my hand than a Glock! eek!) and its dead on accurate,and reliable,....I can honestly say if it wasn't so huge or had holsters available (other than universals) I'd carry it.

(I bought it solely for a plinker/"beater gun" to enjoy and help sharpen skills,I rather enjoy shooting it,...Of course it helps boost the ego a lil when I put it down for my XD,..LOL,talk about going from a Geo to an Acura)

Next-up would be a Kel-tec (also own),Taurus,or Bersa,...

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

"Of course, if something goes bump in the night I'm grabbing my Dan Wesson PM7 1911. Bought new for $565, not counting the $320 in trade I got for my G27. Resulting cost: $240!"

JasonEuc, that is one hell of a price for a great handgun! Regards, Richard

My $280 Ruger GP100.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I own the "cheapest" handgun I would be willing to trust my life to. Actually both.

One is my Star Ultrastar in .40 cal. It is an ugly gun with tool marks on it from the milling process and it has a thick polymer frame. But, it has over 5,000 rounds through it with not one single malfunction and it has gobbled up any and all ammo stuffed into it. It is also quite accurate.

The other is a gun that was my EDC gun for a few years. It is a Taurus PT-111 Millennium in 9mm. It is the old frame version before they made the ergonomic improvements and added 2 rounds to the magazine capacity. This little gun has over 10,000 rounds through it and it also has never given me any problems.

I would and have carried both and would trust my life to them regardless of what anyone else thinks of them. I have long ago upgraded to Glocks, Sigs, and XD's but I still have those two guns. I also have a couple of Rossi revolvers that were not expensive and are very well made and accurate guns that I would not hesitate to carry and trust my life to.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have been shooting handguns for over 35 years, including quite a few brands of 1911. I have 2 1911's now, both Charles Daly pistols, made by Armscor, who also make RIA's. I carry both of them.
    They are excellent, and I won't add "for the money", just plain excellent.
    Quite a few "cheap" guns have proven themselves to me over the years, including guns made by FEG, RIA/Armscor,Makarov, and a lot of old Smith and Ruger revolvers.
    I don't care what other people carry or use at home-If you insist on spending a large amount of money for no gain, enjoy yourself, but it is not necessary if you are willing to learn a little about how to shop for a handgun and are willing to investigate for yourself rather than just be a sucker for advertising and internet BS.

mark

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links