My Sig 220 Carry

This is a discussion on My Sig 220 Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thumper I have the same model P-220 carry and it's one weapon I will not part with! Sweet shooter isn't it? That ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Sig 220 Carry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I have the same model P-220 carry and it's one weapon I will not part with! Sweet shooter isn't it?
    That it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I carry mine in a VM-II and as strange as it seems, the shorter barrel does make a difference!
    It is strange isn't it; but it does make a difference.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Not quite. A P228 holds 13 rounds (9mm) where a 226 Carry would hold up to 18 rounds.

As I mentioned earlier, the 220 Carry is to the 220 as the Commander is to the 1911. The 228/229 is more like an Officer's size.
    My P228 accepts P226 mags as well. I carry a P226 15 rounder as a reload all the time.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I found a solution to the capacity issue I was having with my 228 this weekend. I went to the gun show in wichita (which wasn't much of a show) and happened to find something interesting. This sig dealer had what he said were german police modified mags. They were 226 mags with a base pad that comes up and fits flush to the bottom of my 228. This not only gives my me two extra rounds but also fits my hand a little better. That P220 looks pretty cool though. I have been looking into picking up the new all stainless elite carry p220 myself. My 228 performs better than any sig I've had the pleasure to use, so I hope the P220 isn't a disappointment. I also agree with sixto that if you want a 228 get one while you still can. Around my neck of the woods they are becoming more scarce every day. If you do find one the prices are going up. People that know their sigs know its superior to a 229, and they are pricing it that way.

Senior Moderator
    Yep! Guys have been doing that with the mags with Sigs and Glocks for ever, but I'd rather have 19 in the gun than 18 in a spare mag.

I have seen the claim numerous times that a 228 is superior to a 229, but I haven't seen any evidence to substantiate the claim. If you have some evidence to support the claim other than 'I shoot it better', I'd love to see it. Like, how is it superior?

I just read a discussion about this very thing just the other day on the Sig Forum, and according to that discussion, from the guys that have and shoot both the 228 and 229, they say there's no difference between a 228 and 229.

Honestly I don't have any evidence other than the fact that I have both a 229 and 228 and I shoot the 228 better. I really don't know why that is the case. I know that my 228 is made in west germany. As far as I know the 229 is made in the US. Not a knock on the US, but there are three things I think the germans make better than the US. Guns, beer, and cars.

Senior Moderator
    Yep, there seem to be several here that say that. I wonder if the difference is in expectation?

I'm not doubting you at all here, but I wonder if you'd be willing to share with us how you determined you shoot the 228 better than the 229, and how you determined the 228 being made in Germany is better.

You realize Sig put the 229 in the ICE tests and there were NO reliabilty problems in millions of rounds. Based on what Sig published about the ICE tests in their "Velocity" magazine, there wasn't one failure of any kind. So I'm just kind of curious how much better it can get and what the comparison standard is.

Tangle,

You mentioned flush-fitting 18 round P226 mags. Is this the same as the P226 SCT mags?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The SCT mags are 20 round, no?

Senior Moderator
    18 round flush fit Sig factory mags are available from:

Greg Cote [gusaoz@yahoo.com]

I can't find the pics right now, but they are available in a black phosphate coating or a anti-friction coating.

I'll see if I can run down some pics when I have more time.

Plus, I don't know if Greg has them, but Mecgar has 15 round mags for a 228. I PRESUME they are flush fit.

Mec-Gar Magazines

Congrats on the new gun. I just recently bought my first Sig, also a P220 Carry. Put 200 flawless rounds through it, then shipped it off to GrayGuns for a trigger job. I hear they do wonders. It is a great shooter right out of the box though. Here's a pic I took when I first got mine.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Senior Moderator
    UMMMMM - you're gonna be so spoiled when you get your gun back from Bruce!

Be sure an post your impressions.

UMMMMM - you're gonna be so spoiled when you get your gun back from Bruce!

Be sure an post your impressions.
    Will do. Reckon I have another month or so to wait. Having the action cleanup package, 19lb wolff spring and a short trigger installed.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Senior Moderator
    I presume the 19# is the hammer spring?

Oh, BTW, is this work for carry or competition?

I have mixed feelings about the short trigger. I can't make up my mind if I like the short or the standard.

I presume the 19# is the hammer spring?

Oh, BTW, is this work for carry or competition?

I have mixed feelings about the short trigger. I can't make up my mind if I like the short or the standard.
    For carry. I have small hands, so I figure I'd try the short trigger. What is your impression of the short trigger?
    -- Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    And now they have the 220 Compact to replace the 245...

Sig is confusing me.
    No kidding. Just try and keep up with getting dummy guns for all of them.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links