My Sig 220 Carry

My Sig 220 Carry

This is a discussion on My Sig 220 Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've sold some guns recently and their absence left a black hole in my safe. The vacuum was sucking the air right out of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Sig 220 Carry

Senior Moderator

My Sig 220 Carry

I've sold some guns recently and their absence left a black hole in my safe. The vacuum was sucking the air right out of the house, so there was only one thing I could do - repair the damage. Soooo, I bought a Sig 220 Carry. That seems to have stablized the imbalance for the time being.

I'm typically a 9mm fan, but I do like .45ACP too, well, until I went to Walmart to by some .45 ACP ammo and went into sticker shock! The 9mm was going for $15.88 per 100; the .45 ACP for $28.99 per 100. Talk about re-evaluating!

But I am totally happy with the 220 Carry. It is my current carry gun. For those not familiar with the Carry model, it is a 220 with a 1/2 shorter barrel. Grip and everything else is the same.

Hmmm, looks like I've got a little lube sneaking out of the slide on the 220.

I was expecting some major recoil, being accustom to 9mm and having a shorter barrel, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. In fact, it didn't seem any more than a 9mm, but I'm sure it was.

I've only shot 150 rounds through it so far, but it does shoot good! The sights index just a bit low; well, lower than my P226R and P229R.

Didn't have a problem of any kind except running out of ammo before I was ready quit.

So why the Carry? Well, since it has the full size grip, it holds 8 + 1 rounds, and that 1/2" shorter barrel can be significant. For my carry method, it seems to be just about the perfect barrel length and I don't have to give up capacity to get that.

If they come out with a 226 Carry, I'll have to sell another gun, 'cause I'm gonna get one.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

JD
    Administrator
    I think the 229 pretty much fits the bill of a shorter 226, but I may be wrong, seems that shortening the slide of a 226 and chambering in .357Sig and .40 would have the same problems that the older 229s had before they increased the slide mass.

While it's not an exact short model of the 226, I don't know why they would come out with something that would almost be identical in specs to the 229.

Now watch, right after Shot Show, there will be a 226 Carry

Senior Moderator
    Well, the Sig 245 was to the 220 what the 229 was to the 226. In that regard, it does make one wonder about a 220 carry.

But I think they may be on to something. The shorter barrel and standard grip is a good combination. I like it much better that the 245 configuration.

As for the 226, it has a mag capacity of 15 from the factory and 13 for the 229. Certainly that's not much difference, but there are now 18 round, flush fit mags available for the 226, and the 229 remains at 13. For whatever that's worth.

Edit:
    I meant to add that the Carry is to the 220 as the Commander is to the 1911 - I guess.

JD
    Administrator
    And now they have the 220 Compact to replace the 245...

Sig is confusing me.

The longer grip of the 226 with a 229 slide...that would be dang cool, I've been thinking about picking up a 229, but the one thing that I don't like is that the frame is just a hair too short for my liking, I like to have all fingers on the front strap, without them hanging onto a pinky rest...

COME ON 226 CARRY!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Very nice gun!

Congrats on a very nice gun!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Oh...very nice Tangle. Yep, that should fill the void.

"I meant to add that the Carry is to the 220 as the Commander is to the 1911."

You are wise Grasshopper.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Nice gun!

That is a good looking Sig. How do you carry it?
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    That is a good looking Sig. How do you carry it?
    I was afraid someone would ask that:

By Eric Larsen.

The holster was made a good while back, for a Sig 229R. Sig 220R Carrys don't quite fit a 229 holster, but with the right 'adaption' techniques the holster will stretch enough to work perfectly with a 220 Carry.

Kydex holsters for the 229R may work to a degree. I know the Blackhawk SERPA and the Galco Matrix work - to a degree. The issue is that the 220 carry is just a bit wider in a few spots than the 229 and it's just barely enough to cause drag.

Administrator
    Nice!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    If they come out with a 226 Carry, I'll have to sell another gun, 'cause I'm gonna get one.
    They did. It is just called a P228.

Nice piece btw.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

Nice piece btw.
    you might have to sell two guns, the prices are climbing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OD*
    Very nice, Tangle.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

Nice piece btw.
    Not quite. A P228 holds 13 rounds (9mm) where a 226 Carry would hold up to 18 rounds.

As I mentioned earlier, the 220 Carry is to the 220 as the Commander is to the 1911. The 228/229 is more like an Officer's size.

VIP Member
    I have the same model P-220 carry and it's one weapon I will not part with! Sweet shooter isn't it?

I carry mine in a VM-II and as strange as it seems, the shorter barrel does make a difference!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links