Would like to add to the collection...

This is a discussion on Would like to add to the collection... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to add a .45 or two to the collection. I would like them to be polymer. I am considering the XD-45 compact, ...

I would like to add a .45 or two to the collection. I would like them to be polymer. I am considering the XD-45 compact, the Glock 30, or the Glock 21sf. I am familiar with how glocks function, but have heard good things about the XD-45. I know that a Glock 21 wouldn't work too well during Kentucky summers, but I like the capacity. Are there other considerations and options I might be overlooking? Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome. Thank you in advance for all of your input.

I have a Glock 21 that I keep on the headboard in the bedroom but don't like to carry it as it's too large. I'm a big Glock fan so I vote for the G30 but I would consider the G36 as well. Just me.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I can't say enough good things about XDs. I have owned 4 and not one has ever had a failure of any kind. I currently carry a XD45c and I can't foresee me carrying anything else. My dad liked it so much that he went out and bought one for himself.

I vote for the XD, or the XD Compact if you don't mind the mag sleeve thingy. I was a hard core Glock guy, but the .45s just plain never fit me. I won't get into the .45 GAP, but that COULD be considered an option for some. Not for me, but maybe for some. The XD on the other hand (no pun intended) fits me like a glove, and if you like the grip profile/function of the compact, even better. Personally I didn't care for the compact grip.

I'd also look hard at the M&P. It's a little different feel than the XD, and with the different backstraps that come with the gun, it may be the way to go for you.

So far as combat Tupperware in .45 acp goes, those would be my choices, in that order.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Not sure what your price range is, but Wilson makes a polymer 1911 (KZ-45)
    Taurus has the 24/7, There is also the S&W MP (mentioned by Mainspring) and the SW99 (S&W's version of the Walther P99) is available in .45 as well
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

New HK45

Heckler & Koch is introducing a new polymer .45 to the market called the HK45. It has been receiving very good reviews.

Defense Review on HK45

Handguns Magazine review of HK45

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have a glock 21 as well. Its jobs is primarily a house gun but I will not hesitate wearing a sob holster if needed. Check out Kahr arms TP45.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I have and enjoy the G36 also, but it is a bit limited to 7 rounds...and if you're at home, why limit yourself. Tha Kahr also has limited capasity.

I'd suggest the .45 ACP stagered column Glocks.
    Last edited by Rbrown777; January 29th, 2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Links