Mother-in-law looking for a carry gun

This is a discussion on Mother-in-law looking for a carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mother-in-law is looking for a carry gun and is having trouble operating the slide on the models she has tried. With age and arthritis, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother-in-law looking for a carry gun

Mother-in-law looking for a carry gun

My mother-in-law is looking for a carry gun and is having trouble operating the slide on the models she has tried. With age and arthritis, her grip strength is a little lacking.

I have already suggested a revolver but she didn't like that idea. She has tried a Colt 2000, a S&W model 39, and a SigPro and didn't like any of those.

Any suggestions for something with an easy to operate slide, preferably a 9 mm?

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I'd push a revolver harder. Try to find a S&W with a light-ish double action trigger, I've seen them tuned down around 6.5lbs or so. That should be easy to operate for someone with arthritis, etc...

IIRC, the couple Beretta's I've handled were reasonably easy to rack the slide on. Probably a function of spring weight....

Could we get some of the forum, uh, seniors to contribute? :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I'm a semi-senior, but ten years ago walked my Mom through her CCW class at age 68. She'd never shot before, but used my Ruger .22 for the range, and passed perfectly. When we went shopping (she didn't like any of my 1911's) I pushed her toward a .38 revolver. She too didn't like them. She saw a Glock 19 and wanted to try it out. We rented one for an hour and she bought a new one. As she got older, it became more difficult to rack the slide, so we just decided to leave it loaded. When the great-grandkids come over, it gets put away, otherwise it's always on her counter. Every few months, we go shooting and I reload her mags and leave it ready to go for her.

Not that I'm a fan of the smaller caliber, bit the Beretta Tomcat has a "tip-up" barrel that makes racking the slide moot.

They're 32 Auto:

From Beretta's site: Sub-compact

Although light and super compact, these Beretta semi-automatic pistols are no less precise. They are as secure and reliable as their bigger, more famous relatives. The blowback locking system and open top slide are common features as is the tip-up barrel, which allows a rapid inspection of the barrel and maximum safety in reloading cartridges in the chamber. All models have a “V” rear sight and a blade front sight for rapid acquisition of the target. They are manufactured in Maryland, USA for the American market.

I have a fair amount of arthritis in my hands. 9 mm glocks seem to be some of the easiest autos to rack the slide (in my experience). I believe they have 17# recoil springs.
    My wife has a Taurus Millenium 9mm (small gun) , that gun is also pretty easy to rack. Especially with my wife's small hands. ( 4' 11")

+1 on the tomcat
    also have a look at this article at Cornered Cat. Describes ways to rack the slide for weaker hands.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    )Beretta also makes a model 86 with a tip-up barrel in .380 that's pretty nice.)

In my experience the H&K USP has the easiest slide with it's spiffy double spring system.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Administrator
    Wait a minute... smaller guns are harder to rack when we are talking about someone with limited hand strengh or arthritis; dont fall into that common trap. Think about it for a minute... I'm sure you will come up with why this is true.

Tip up barrels are great, as are revolvers for people with these problems. She probably isnt going to get any stronger. I would also work on technique, and maybe look into something with serrations or a tall and sturdy rear sight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd say a 4" Model 10 for a house gun.

Yes, one handed reloading can be learned, but if she is having problems now, what will it be like as she gets even older? The Glock 19, I even have one, is about the most reliable "bottomfeeder" out there that I'm willing to carry, but I wouldn't want to carry or use it if I had wrist problems that made it hard for me to maintain a proper grip. Can you say "limpwristing"?

The idea of a taller rear sight and one handed methods are valid, but how long can an already partially incapacitated person use these methods before they are impossible for her? The revolver is the easiest for loading/unloading and doesn't care how strong of a grip you have.

For a carry gun I would go with a 442/642 and lots of practice. She will find that the skills on the model 10 transfer over to the 442/642 with no problems. Or you could go with a Ruger SP101 with a 3" Barrel to "split the difference" if she doesn't mind the weight.

Check out the Cornered Cat sight too, lots of good stuff there. Bear in mind I'm partial to revolvers as I have wrist issues. On Duty I have to carry the issued "bottomfeeder" but off duty I can carry what I want, and it's usually a couple of roundguns.

Biker

My mother in law has a gun, but is looking for a holster. Does anyone know who makes a holster that will mount on a broom?
    What Would Gumby Do?

Broomland???

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    My mother in law has a gun, but is looking for a holster. Does anyone know who makes a holster that will mount on a broom?
    BROOM-STICK HOLSTERS!!!!!!!!!!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Oh man what did you do to her???

if she doesnt like the revolver i would def show her the beretta with tip up barrels. they are great. i have one and it is a blast to shoot and lets face it....dont neet to rack the slide at all to load it. just might find that she will warm up to one of them very easily

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have heard Broom- Stick holsters are the best, I am thinking of getting one for my Mother in-law's broom

As far as the original post, I think you should find a way to demonstrate why the revolver would probably be a better choice. Glocks are certainly a fine weapon, but the potential limp wristing issue may become a serious problem.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links