Kimber 10mm conversion

This is a discussion on Kimber 10mm conversion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wanting a pistol in 10mm for a long time now. What I want is to get a conversion barrel for my kimber eclipse ...

Thread: Kimber 10mm conversion

Kimber 10mm conversion

I've been wanting a pistol in 10mm for a long time now. What I want is to get a conversion barrel for my kimber eclipse pro target. I have yet to find an aftermarket barrel in 4''. Im wondering if I could order a full size 10mm barrel from kimber and have it shortened to fit my gun? Also does anyone know where to find a quality aftermarket option? If I can find the barrel, will I have to change any other parts to make it work? I've also been told you can get a kimber in .40 and have the barrel reamed out for 10mm. Has anyone heard of this, and if so, does it work good?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Member Tubby45 has a Kimber Pro that was a .40, he turned it into a 10mm.

You'll need more than just a barrel to do the conversion, I don't think the larger breech face of the .45 slide will work well with a 10mm, but don't quote me on that.

I had a Kimber CDP Pro in .40 that I was going to have conversion barrels made in 10mm and .357Sig, but the cost was too high.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You could also just buy a Kimber in 10mm.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    You could also just buy a Kimber in 10mm.
    I don't think Kimber makes a Pro (4") in 10mm...

I'm pretty sure the only thing they offer in 10mm is a variant of the Eclipse in 5"

Fusion offers a Commander sized 1911 in 10mm, and so does Dan Wesson, they have the Commander Bobtail in 10mm

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I don't think Kimber makes a Pro (4") in 10mm...

I'm pretty sure the only thing they offer in 10mm is a variant of the Eclipse in 5"

Fusion offers a Commander sized 1911 in 10mm, and so does Dan Wesson, they have the Commander Bobtail in 10mm

You know what, you might be right on that one now that I think about it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

You could also try to find a Colt Delta Gold Cup.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    You could also try to find a Colt Delta Gold Cup.
    Key word try, Delta Elites are getting hard enough to find, let alone a Delta Gold Cup, and even if you could find a Delta Gold, I wouldn't dare shoot or carry it.

VIP Member
    If you PRO is a .45, it has the feed ramp as part of the frame. The smaller caliber frames use a ramped barrel (the feed ramp on those is part of the barrel & not part of the frame.) I don't know of anybody that makes a non-ramped barrel for 10mm.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    ...you can also get a Dan Wesson 10mm...I have one of those and it's an outstanding gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Key word try, Delta Elites are getting hard enough to find, let alone a Delta Gold Cup, and even if you could find a Delta Gold, I wouldn't dare shoot or carry it.
    Yeah. It is the only gun that, in hindsight, I should never have let go.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Yeah. It is the only gun that, in hindsight, I should never have let go.
    My condolences for your loss.

Well thanks for all the info. I didn't even think about the feed ramp not being compatible with my kimber. I thought about the delta elite option, but decided against it. Reason why is I haven't been satisfied with the reliablitity of the colt 1911 I have, only comes in 5", and they are over priced (in my opinion). I think to get what I want Im going to have to modify a kimber .40 to my liking. I personally don't like .40 and would probobly never use the .40 barrel. At the same time I don't want to screw up the resale value if for some reason I sell it. So my question is, should I see If I can get kimber to send me a 5" 10mm barrel and have it shortened to 4", or get them to send a identical barrel in .40 and them have it reamed for 10mm? Also, I was looking for a CDP in my kimber catalog in .40, but all it is offered in was .45. Have they discontinued .40 In the CDP? Reason why I was wondering is a CDP in 10mm looks like it would be nice. I just wonder if the aluminum frame will hold up well with 10mm. Is the barrel all I need to worry about to make the conversion?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    Well thanks for all the info. I didn't even think about the feed ramp not being compatible with my kimber. I thought about the delta elite option, but decided against it. Reason why is I haven't been satisfied with the reliablitity of the colt 1911 I have, only comes in 5", and they are over priced (in my opinion). I think to get what I want Im going to have to modify a kimber .40 to my liking. I personally don't like .40 and would probobly never use the .40 barrel. At the same time I don't want to screw up the resale value if for some reason I sell it. So my question is, should I see If I can get kimber to send me a 5" 10mm barrel and have it shortened to 4", or get them to send a identical barrel in .40 and them have it reamed for 10mm? Also, I was looking for a CDP in my kimber catalog in .40, but all it is offered in was .45. Have they discontinued .40 In the CDP? Reason why I was wondering is a CDP in 10mm looks like it would be nice. I just wonder if the aluminum frame will hold up well with 10mm. Is the barrel all I need to worry about to make the conversion?
    Yep, they don't offer the CDP Pro in .40 anymore. I've only seen two and I owned one at the time, couldn't get the sucker to run right so off it went.

I think they only offer two guns in .40, the Stainless Pro Carry II, and the Stainless Ultra Carry II. I've never seen a NEW Kimber in .40 at a shop, which means if you go that way, you're probably going to have to have it special ordered.

As for the alloy frame and the 10mm, I can't help you on that one, but as the alloy is softer than the steel slide....I'd have to make an educated guess that it will wear faster than a steel slide when using the 10mm.

Instead of going through all the trouble of spec. ordering a Kimber in .40 and having the barrel work done, or ordering another barrel and having it tweaked on. I'd just get a Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB. It's less hassle and you don't have to change anything.

Links