Unreliable after how much ammo

This is a discussion on Unreliable after how much ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen it discussed----how much ammo before it is considered reliable to carry, but I want to know on your carry weapons after how ...

Thread: Unreliable after how much ammo

Distinguished Member

Unreliable after how much ammo

I have seen it discussed----how much ammo before it is considered reliable to carry, but I want to know on your carry weapons after how much shooting and abuse do you consider it no longer suitable to carry?

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I have seen it discussed----how much ammo before it is considered reliable to carry, but I want to know on your carry weapons after how much shooting and abuse do you consider it no longer suitable to carry?

Z
    No personal experience here (haven't "worn out" any guns yet) but I'd say there's no definitive round count; it's judged by wear on the major parts. When the rifling in the barrel looks dull, the extractor doesn't work well anymore, etc...
    No reason you can't replace the worn out parts with new ones (unless it's some rare collector gun, I suppose) and keep it running indefinitely.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Just my personal opinion, but I think if a quality firearm is fed quality ammunition and cleaned regularaly, it should last longer than the shooter. I've never worn out a firearm, but I have never owned a plactic one.

If it starts to jam/misfire...time to get a replacement.

Depends on the gun manufacturer. Glock OK from 0-10,000 rounds before it needs tuneup.

It depends on quality of metal, quality of springs, single or double stack mags, etc.

Sponsor
    Glock first gen g17 with 77K+ through it since 88. Needed a trigger return spring at 72,3?? rds.

I've replaced the recoil spring three times, no other parts replaced on this gun.

I've worn to broken a 1911 after 33K+ rds in about 15 years of use. All the internals like sear, hammer, etc had worn to the point it was close to going "hot auto".

I've put 35K+ through a sig228 in 5 years with nothing replaced but a recoil spring and no malfs at rds count, still reliable. Thats about 1/2 life for that gun as I understand it [ due to the aluminum frame ].

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    ... on your carry weapons after how much shooting and abuse do you consider it no longer suitable to carry?
    On my first carry weapon, I sold at at just under 40K rounds through the barrel. And it kept on ticking. Never should have sold that one. Dumb.

Other than that, I have yet to send more than 10K rounds through another other carry gun. My current CZ P01 has the most, at this point, at ~3500 rds. Unless the frame cracks, it wouldn't surprise me if this gun could last 50K rds at minimum, if not 100K rds. Regular cleaning, annual of bi-annual tune-up of springs and whatnot, and review by a gunsmith every 10K rds. At some point, any gun is going to start feeling used. At that point, on my carry gun, I'll acquire a twin and break it in. (Have currently done that as a precaution with the P01, as the P01 is relatively new to me.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When the gun stops being reliable it stops being my CC firearm. Pretty simple!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have several guns/pistols that are used as CCW.every one is trained with.if ,in the process of range time, something goes wrong,it's put aside untill I run enough rounds thru it for me to feel comfortable with it again. don't think there is a round count,just a "what makes you feel good." jwr

well after a certain amount of time and rounds there are always things that need to be replaced. it depends on the gun of course. i wouldnt put down a certain number thats for sure, when you have any problems with it, it gets fixed. if you cant fix it, it gets replaced
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I do preventive maintenance on my CCW guns - like changing out springs every however many thousand rounds and such. I think if I shot 250,000 rounds out of my Baer I would probably retire it to range duty, but I'm under 5,000 right now, and with prices the way they are, I don't think I'll ever shoot that much.

Austin

Links