Colt Detective..6" at 20 feet?

This is a discussion on Colt Detective..6" at 20 feet? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought a 'new', unfired, nickel plated 2" Dick Special....I was going to sell it and then thought it would make a good gift for my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Detective..6" at 20 feet?

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

Bought a 'new', unfired, nickel plated 2" Dick Special....I was going to sell it and then thought it would make a good gift for my daughter one day. Okay, so I thought it was really pretty and decided not to sell it. I'm still gonna' give it to my kid someday, honest. Well, I took it and shot it's first 12 rounds today....poor showing. Six inches at 7 yards. Is it because it's never been fired? Is the nickel plating INSIDE the barrel and screwing me up? I know that it's a belly gun, but ......20 more feet and I'm not sure I'd of been on paper. I'm going back with a bunch of different ammo in a couple of days. I'll try to find out what it likes...heavy or light. Any suggestions or similar experiences?
    Last edited by rocky; January 30th, 2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: language
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Sounds like you need to spend more time with it at the range. Snub nose revolvers take more time to shoot well with than a conventional revolver. So give it time, and I think you will see an improvement.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Normally the Colts are pretty accurate. Was this single action off a rest or double action freehand. Ammo definitely can make a difference. Try some different bullet weights and see what happens.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I've got the same gun. I love it but can never get good groups from it. I also don't spend a lot of time practicing with it.

Administrator
    Old style Nickel plating would not normally plate the inside of the barrel. Just FYI.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Practice practice practice. There is a reason that they refer to snubbies as an experts gun.

VIP Member
    +1 for TimM's comment.

I practice dry firing a lot. Make sure the gun is unloaded. Check it again, is it unloaded? Let me check again - is it unloaded? Now I pick a fixed spot on the wall, like a wall switch from about 3 feet way. Practice squeezing the trigger while watching the front site. See the movement of the front site? That is the most likely accuracy culprit in a snub nose. Learn to grip and squeeze the trigger so the front site does not move. When you can do that consistantly, add some speed to the trigger squeeze. With the snubbie, its all about grip and trigger control. Then practice with light loads - the accuracy will come.

You mean practice with the light loads at the range and not the light switch on the wall? :)

First of all nice purchase. What did you pay for it? I’m considering picking up one.

I use to have a small S&W Chiefs 38-special and in single action it grouped nicely at 10 feet, and to my surprise my Walther makes very nice groups at 25-feet.

My advice is don’t target pink in double action. Let’s face it, a belly gun is something ya pull and fire in less than 2 seconds from the hip, at very very close range.

Senior Moderator
    Did you fire it from a brace.

I often have bad groups then brace a gun and find that it is me and not the gun.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

You know, Steve McGarrett could take out a sniper on a rooftop from 300 ft with one of those suckers.

It's gotta be you!

David in FL;613759]You know, Steve McGarrett could take out a sniper on a rooftop from 300 ft with one of those suckers

Good one
    Last edited by tns0038; January 30th, 2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: messed up the quote part

My 2" blued DS is quite accurate, provided I do my part. I'm not big on shooting paper targets, but I can roll a coke can around with it pretty efficiently out to 20 yards, or ring a 12" gong at 40. I've even used it on a revolving 5 pointed star, and managed to walk away with a round left in the cylinder. Ok, it was only once... and I was way slow... but I hit 'em :)

Put it on a bench rest. I doubt you'll find that the gun is inherently inaccurate.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Off hand with my 686, 2 1/2", I'm grouping 4" at 25 yards.. when I take my time. I'm hitting plates (6'') with it at twenty yards, shooting a bit faster.

I'm not Bill Hickcock, but I'm getting better the more I shoot.....

I was shooting the colt (paid $350 with the old brown cardboard box) single action. I oiled the it, 'cause it felt rough, by pulling the hammer back, removed the wood grips, turned it upside down and sprayed a lubricant into it. Then, Pachmayr grips. It was never fired and sat for a loooong time. I know it's not meant to be a tack driver, it's a belly gun....but....ya know?

Oh, yeah...just remembered...I did get a 10 ring with one round of a wadcutter. The other five wadcutters were 7's and 6's. I took my time, hammer back and POP.

The action is real rough (never fired?) compared to the Smith's I own....Model 10 and the 686. But it's real pretty....can a gun be pretty?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    You mean practice with the light loads at the range and not the light switch on the wall? :)
    Right Arisin Wind. If I have to explain that one, Darwin will take care of the rest of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links