LDA hmm ?

LDA hmm ?

This is a discussion on LDA hmm ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: LDA Pistols Anyone had a chance to try one of these out yet? Was thinking it would be a good choice ...

Thread: LDA hmm ?

LDA hmm ?

Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: LDA Pistols

Anyone had a chance to try one of these out yet?

Was thinking it would be a good choice for people who like the 1911 but do not want to carry cocked and locked.

Also there PDA looks like a nice gun for hot weather concealed carry or a good BUG.

And ya I already know some of your 1911 purists prob hate the things on 1st sight heh.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

IMHO, the LDA is, in the paraphrased words of Jeff Cooper, an interesting solution to a non-existent problem........or something like that. YMMV
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    IMHO, the LDA is, in the paraphrased words of Jeff Cooper, an interesting solution to a non-existent problem........or something like that. YMMV
    I hear you , but there's probably plenty of room for folks who are looking for a longer / heavier trigger pull in a defensive firearm. I think the PDA looks like a pretty nice little pistol. The 3" barrel gives me some pause in a semi-auto, but I likely don't know all there is to know about that.

Plan B

Not to be a serious "purist" or anything here, but the reason I fell in love with 1911 pistols is because of the light, crisp trigger pull and the safety of condition 1, cocked-locked-and-ready-to-rock carry. A double-action trigger seems to go against that grain... If I was looking for a SA/DA pistol I'd probably go for a Sig SA/DA. Just my two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I am a true Para believer....I love the lda trigger. I am one of those that Jeff Cooper probably talked about. I have only owned 1 true 1911 and I was not comfortable with the cock and lock. When I heard about the LDA I knew I had to have it (I actually have 2).

I just saw the PDA and I am already planning to look at one seriously to update my Carry 9.

I've shot the Nightwatch Companion. Interesting little gun and, as the previous poster illustrated, some people would like the 1911 format but with a DAO type trigger.

I also like the Para LDA firearms, I have one and the trigger measured at 4 LBS pull, I'm not sure what other trigger pulls would be but the ones I've tried have been pretty lite.
    Best,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

I have an LDA as well and love it, also have a "real" 1911 and don't find any major difference between it and the LDA (as far as trigger pull goes)

As for those who think it's "an interesting solution to a non-existent problem" or "an answer to a question no one asked", I'd have to disagree......One of the reasons a lot of PD's stopped carrying 1911's was due to the sheeple not liking the look of a cocked-n-locked gun on the hips of officers (and like it or not public perception dictates a lot of what PD's can do).

The LDA solves the problem by giving the appearance of a "safe" gun, with a trigger pull that is nearly identical to an SA, allowing an officer to carry a bigger caliber, that's not to say that some Dept's don't carry DA .45's (nor am I saying that the LDA's have made in roads with PD's).

In fact a lot of knowledgeable 1911 shooters will tell you that the LDA is still essentially an SA trigger and not really DA (which is debatable) and I once saw an article that compared it to a pre-loaded striker fire set up.

As for the PDA, I'll hold of judgment on it untill I get to see one in person, as it seems the only real difference between it and the Carry 9 is the PDA is a little slimer.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

It is pre-loaded, but with a loooong light trigger pull. So what makes that any safer than a C&L 1911?

Administrator
    I'm one that thinks the 1911 design shouldnt be fooled with, and any variation other than barrel length makes unable to be called a 1911.
    I do like the LDA trigger though, its glassy smooth... but I wouldnt touch para with a ten foot pole right now. The have some serious quality control and customer service issues. I hope they get a handle on those issues, but it might be to late. Thats a shame because they have some neat products.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 31st, 2008 at 10:18 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Haven't seen the PDA in my hand yet. I had my boss order one for the shelves. I think it will be a good seller. It pretty much appears to be a carry 9 with a nice finish. As far as the any Para LDA triggers goes. They are not a true DA trigger as if you have a primer that does not ignite and you are of the school of if you can do it and try to fire it again you can not with a LDA trigger. Also the reset is just as long as the initial trigger pull. The pro as some people have said yes it gives the impression that it is a safe fire arm since it is not cocked. My couple cents as I tell every one who is looking to buy a gun or another gun what ever it may be. It is a personal choice. You should be thinking what your most possible scenario is gonna be that you think you would have to use the fire arm and make the decision of weather you can safely and effectively manipulate the firearm to save your life or loved ones. Personally I am not a fan of the LDA trigger as it is hard to make fast accurate shots. I would rather prefer a SA 1911 or Glock or a new SIG elite with the SRT trigger trigger. This coming from me who carries Springfield XD's and or Smith and Wesson Heavy DAO internal hammer revolver. Of course this is only my opinion and it doesn't matter because it is you that must make the choice. Good Luck and stay armed.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    So what makes that any safer than a C&L 1911?
    Absolutely nothing.

But like was mentioned in the XD With Thumb Safety Thread, and mentioned above here, it's a viable option for LEO off duty carry where single action guns may be a no-no.

I've had two LDAs, a single and a double stack.

I liked them, as well as the other Paras I've had, I sold them off to buy a couple of Kimbers when I should have kept the Paras.

The one thing I don't like about the Para "Carry" line is the abbreviated grip safety, while it's nicely rounded not to poke you, it's not comfortable to shoot more than a couple of mags through.

The LDA trigger is fantastic for a DAO, and I'd even go as far to say that it's the best DAO trigger out of the box in an auto, the only other non auto gun I can relate it to is my Dad's Colt Python that he shot PPC with.

My biggest gripe on Para is the Parakote finish, on the two Parakoted guns I had, the finish just didn't hold up, those were both a 1st run NiteTac, and a 1st run Nitehawg, hopefully the issue has been addressed, but from the looks of the used Paras with the Parakote I've seen, I'd say it hasn't been. As I usually suggest, go stainless, or just get it refinished, while I don't normally care about carry wear, this was well beyond "character marks" and just looked like crap after six months.

Another suggestion when it comes to Paras, unless you specifically want a double stack, go single, the double stack mags are pricey.

FWIW, I've had four? Paras and never had an issue other than not being happy with the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    very true
    i think its silly.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The trigger is good (for what it is) but the QC questions would give me pause. The one guy I know who had one said that the inside of the gun was full of sharp edges and parts. Having a safe full of 1911's already, he sold it.

Mostly SIG P226 P229 P239 P232 - 380 - 9 - 40 - 357 - DA/SA - DAK

Sometimes GLOCK 17 19 22 23 27 21 32 33 - 9 - 40 - 357

I have one PARA-ORD since 2002, single stack, "LDA", 5", Elite Series, 45 ACP - Yes I like it too, good shooter for sure, but after a couple to few hundred rounds without cleaning or lubing like any 1911 it seems - failures seem to start setting in.

Sponsored Links