Anyone try Airsoft pistols?

This is a discussion on Anyone try Airsoft pistols? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at the Airsoft Sig P226 specifically. I think they make a couple different models, as i've seen the all plastic one at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try Airsoft pistols?

Anyone try Airsoft pistols?

I was looking at the Airsoft Sig P226 specifically. I think they make a couple different models, as i've seen the all plastic one at Wally World, and the Sig website has a steel model that actually cycles the slide.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    What is the purpose of the airsoft pistol????? just curious
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

88m
    thought about it and they do look like fun but........... can never make myself pay that much money for a good one when i could save it and get a real gun.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    What is the purpose of the airsoft pistol????? just curious
    You can practice at home for one. The slide cycles just like the real one, and it is all metal, very cheap to shoot, weighs the same as the "real" pistol...a lot of advantages.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

And they hurt like hell if you get shot with one at close range. I went to an airsoft range here in Albuquerque where they have an urban course setup...the only problem is that most shots are at 1-6 feet. Damn things hurt!

Probably 20,000 little yellow pellets in my backyard.

(only 4,000 or 5,000 in my neighbors hehe)

They do sting a bit, and I'm sure they weren't intended to be played with as casually as I do (you'll shoot your eye out kid) but they sure are fun.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have a Tokyo Marui Glock 26 Gas Blowback pistol, that I occasionally use for backyard soda can shooting. It cycles and locks back just like the real deal. I hope to add a real Glock 26 to my gun collection soon though.

Oh yes, the airsoft pellets do hurt at close range, I shot a buddy of mine in the neck during a skirmish at point blank range (snuck up behind him), and it left a nice scab.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Check out Gabe Suarez' Force on Force training. He uses airsoft gas guns, and it is an EYE OPENER. I hit the "Holy Crap" phase on page two of the book--what I had been practicing would get me killed, and it's obvious once you try it.

Airsoft guns are good training tools.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Airsoft can be used for

(1)(shooting when you cannot get to the range). Set up a big plastic tub, hang a towel near the rear, and put paper target in the front of the tub. When the pellet goes through the paper it gets stopped by the hanging towel.

(2) FOF - that is where it shines. I am involved w/ a FOF group and doing FoF with an airsoft really opens up one's eyes to how effective/ineffective their training is.

they are cheaper than a real handgun. Good tool for training. Get one. But ALWAYS wear safety equipment (read: at least protective eye wear while shooting at target, full gear while on FOF).

I have gotten mine at Airsoft Guns, Free Shipping on rifles, pistols, spring, electric, Soft Air Gun - Airsplat

I guess that they could be good for trigger control and seeing if you can keep your sight alignment. But there is no recoil for real training. I have a Beretta that must have the slide racked for each shot. Are there models that actually go through a whole mag like a real semi auto?

I bought mine for a goof many years ago. I'm actually going to the Hunting/ Fishing Expo in Harrisburg PA this weekend. They always have a few tables set up with a whole mess of air soft pistols, rifles, and shotguns. Maybe I'll get another if they are truly semi-auto.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    ...Are there models that actually go through a whole mag like a real semi auto? ...
    Go to the link in my previous post and look at the gas guns. You will find that most will use "green gas" to send the pellet downrange and reset the trigger and put another pellet in the launching pad. I think there is even a glock 26/27 model that might interest you.

I have an Airsoft 1911 that functions like a 1911, it is heavy and ideal for in the house practice. It is especially good for practice at draw and shoot from different situations. No ranges around here permit draw and shoot. It is adequately accurate for this type of training, inexpensive,cheap to shoot and a lot of fun.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I have 2 Para's made by Western Arms and a Glock from KSC that are all metal/heavy weight plastics and are very close to their real steel cousins apart from magazine capacity. They make up for most of the body weight in the magazines, but once it is in the magazine well the weight is there. Decent gas blow-backs will run you up in the 175-300 dollar range, but as stated before are great for times you can't get out to the range to just use around the house. Also very good for drawing drills as well. Decent place to find most of the upper end of the scale for airsoft would be the following link:

www.redwolfairsoft.com

Again Western Arms makes really nice pieces, but they are mostly of 1911's. Tanaka, KSC and Tokyo Marui follow behind them just a bit as far as the real feel goes. You can also find companies that make and sell modifications to the Western Arms airsoft guns. If you don't see a specific model you are interested in, say you are looking for a Kimber slide- You can pick up a no frills base model and then find a place that sells the kimber slide assembly to slap on it.

I can not find a XD airsoft for the life of me. :(

However I have two glocks, 4 1911 variations, a shot gun, a m4, and a ak-47... Airsoft can be fun. :D
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

A bunch of guys and myself got some to mess around at work, and they work great for FOF and trigger control training, and just plinking. I've found that the .20 gram pellets are much more accurate than the .12 gram pellets, just a sugestion if you are thinking of getting one.

And it's always fun to snipe your friends in the butt when they are not expecting anything... *oops*
    "I'd rather be judged in a box by a jury than carred in a box by my friends!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links