Glock 26 or S&W 642

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or S&W 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting a subcompact pistol or a lightweight snub nose revolver for summer carry. I already have a Ruger SP101, but it's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or S&W 642

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Glock 26 or S&W 642

I am looking at getting a subcompact pistol or a lightweight snub nose revolver for summer carry. I already have a Ruger SP101, but it's a little on the heavy side. If and when I do get a smaller handgun, I'd like to use an ankle rig, but I'm unsure of which rig to go with. I know Uncle Mikes and Galco make ankle holsters, but I don't know how good they are. I wear semi-baggy pants, so printing at my ankle shouldn't be a problem. I'm leaning more towards the G26 at this moment.

Edit: One more thing, how accurate are these two guns at 10-15 yards?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I am looking at getting a subcompact pistol or a lightweight snub nose revolver for summer carry. I already have a Ruger SP101, but it's a little on the heavy side. If and when I do get a smaller handgun, I'd like to use an ankle rig, but I'm unsure of which rig to go with. I know Uncle Mikes and Galco make ankle holsters, but I don't know how good they are. I wear semi-baggy pants, so printing at my ankle shouldn't be a problem. I'm leaning more towards the G26 at this moment.

I carry the same guns in the summer that I carry in the winter.

With that said, one of them is a 442. That's the darker version of the 642. I find it draws easier from the pocket than a Kahr PM9 or a Glock 26. Also, it's lighter on the ankle and easier to carry there than the Glock 26.

I'm currently using a Galco Ankle Glove when I carry on my ankle, which is only when I'm driving. Then I move the gun from my ankle to my weakside pocket, as it's my BUG. Alessi also makes a very good ankle holster. I wouldn't "skimp" when it comes to an ankle holster to save a few dollars. The difference in comfort level between Uncle Mike's and Galco is night and day.

As far as accuracy, how accurate are you at that distance? I'm not trying to be a wisenhiemer, but the gun is probably more accurate than you are at that distance. I shoot mine out to 25 Yards routinely, with no problems. At that distance, using the 442, I can keep them on a pie plate.

I hope that helps.

Biker
    wheelyfun101 likes this.

For ankle carry or pocket carry - S&W 642.

For the 10-15 yard accuracy the Glock 26 easily.
    wheelyfun101 likes this.

Pocket carry, ankle carry: the 642.

Accurate at 10-15 yards (and with plenty of firepower): G26 hands down.

If you can carry the SP101 ankle wise, more power to ya. Go ahead and get the g26. It weighs about the same as the Ruger, I think.

My choice (with a caveat): The Smith and Wesson 642. If only it did not have the ILS lock (Internal Safety Lock, i.e. giant hole in frame of gun). I am not trying to turn this into a "I hate the Locks" thread. Im actually pretty sure the S&W's with lock will shoot fine. I just dont like a giant hole in the side of such a wonderful gun. I would definitely buy a prelock S&W tho. I have a late 80's Model 10 2" and love it .
    wheelyfun101 likes this.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

kpw
    The 642 for ankle or pocket. 10-15 yards is very doable with it but it takes a lot of practice to be good with it. Same for drawing from an ankle rig. The Galco rig isn't bad, the UM I don't like. As Biker said, Alessi makes a real good one and I'd add Bulman and Null to that list.

The 26 weighs about the same as an sp101...but it's thinner.It CAN be pocket carried,but it takes getting used too.I have a Taurus pt111 that is the same size as a 26,and Have pocket carried..but the 642 is waaay lighter and easier to pocket.But if it's a metter of # of shots,and power(9mm+p is now shlouch)the 26 can be carried in big pockets.Can't go wrong either way IMO.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I hope you find ankle carry more comfortable than I did!! I used the Galco Glove, but still couldn't get use to it. Because of this I believe you will resort back to pocket carry so my choice would be the G26 as it is thinner and easier to conceal in a pocket.
    Good Luck
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

since i have a g-27, i would vote for the 27's little brother.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

The Glock should be easier to make good hits with at 10-15 yards. I have a Model 642 and don't have a Glock so suppose that's my answer.
    wheelyfun101 likes this.

I agree. Tried to carry the Walther PPKs in an ankle holster and never could get use to it.

I’m also considering buying a 38-Chiefs special or G26, but I want it for carrying in my coat pocket.

The 642 would definately be more comfortable to carry on the ankle. IMO the Glock is too bulky for ankle carry. I have a 640 that I CAN shoot out to 25 yards, but it is more of an up close and personal 5 COM. The Glock is easier for me to aquire x ring hits at 25 yards and beyond. Not to mention a lot more capacity and quicker reloads.

If you are set on ankle carry I would go for the 642. If accuracy to greater distances is important, I would get the Glock. It would take much more practice to get the same results with a j frame than a Glock.
    wheelyfun101 likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Get em both...

642 is a nice little piece...it will be the easier one to carry

I've got a 442 and a Glock 27. The 442 conceals easier in a front pocket, due to the contours of the revolver. The G27 can be concealed in a couple of my pockets, but it looks and feels like I'm carrying a brick, due to the blocky profile of the gun. I can't stand ankle carry with any gun, just can't get used to it.

I'd get both! The G26 is perfect for belt carry, under a sweatshirt in cooler weather or an untucked shirt when it's a little warmer. If you can carry this way, the capacity, faster reload and more powerful 9mm make this a no-brainer. When it's really hot out, and shorts and T-shirt is the uniform of the day, nothing beats an Airweight in the pocket. And if you like ankle carry, the Airweight will be far more comfortable for you.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I've settled on the S&W 642. I know my sister has the 638 Bodyguard and I really like it.
    wheelyfun101 likes this.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links