My first carry weapon

My first carry weapon

This is a discussion on My first carry weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post...so don't flame me too badly. I'm kinda new at buying a pistol. From much research I've decided to buy a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first carry weapon

My first carry weapon

This is my first post...so don't flame me too badly. I'm kinda new at buying a pistol.
    From much research I've decided to buy a 1911. I want a 4" (4 1/4)
    barrel for concealment ease. I want it in 9mm because of the price of ammo, and I want it in S/S.
    I read where shooters have a Colt Commander, in a 9mm, but I can't find it anywhere. All I see is the bigger calibers. If so can I get it in S/S ?
    Kimber has a Pro Carry II in a 9mm, but when I try to get it in S/S it says only .45 or .40.( on their web site) That doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something here?
    I realize that Kimber, has the Pro Aegis II in 9mm, and 4" barrel. I just wanted more to choose from.
    Thanks for your help.
    Larry

jgp
    The Springfield EMP sure looks nice. 3" barrel though.

Springfield Armory

Annoying all-flash website!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lebvette View Post
    This is my first post...so don't flame me too badly. I'm kinda new at buying a pistol.
    From much research I've decided to buy a 1911. I want a 4" (4 1/4)
    barrel for concealment ease. I want it in 9mm because of the price of ammo, and I want it in S/S.
    I read where shooters have a Colt Commander, in a 9mm, but I can't find it anywhere. All I see is the bigger calibers. If so can I get it in S/S ?
    Kimber has a Pro Carry II in a 9mm, but when I try to get it in S/S it says only .45 or .40.( on their web site) That doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something here?
    I realize that Kimber, has the Pro Aegis II in 9mm, and 4" barrel. I just wanted more to choose from.
    Thanks for your help.
    Larry
    Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a 4" 9mm 1911 is a hard thing to find....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome! I found this 9mm on GB: CASPIAN 1911 9MM, not colt agent. It looks like it could be a mid-sized 9mm on a 1911 frame.
    GunBroker.com guns: CASPIAN 1911 9MM, not colt agent (item: 91170694 ends: Feb-13-08 0948 AM)

Good luck and again, Welcome!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    STI has one, the Ranger II, you'd probably have to special order a stainless version.

Kimber has the regular Pro Carry II in 9mm., I think you were looking at the stainless pro Carry II, which does not come in 9mm, again, you can probably special order it in stainless.

Or, You can probably have the gun refinished to the bare stainless.

If the stainless steel is a flexible requirement, it will open up more options.

Para Ordnance
    has a new commander model in 9mm for '08

9mm Commanders fairly scarce

Your research so far is underscoring the fact that Commander size 1911s in 9mm are fairly scarce. I would guess that about 90% of the new and used Commander size guns are .45 ACP, and the remainder are a mix of 10mm, .40 S&W, .38 Super and 9mm. As for the reason, I could only guess that most buyers want the .45 and that fact determines what the manufacturers produce.

I can understand your preference for the cheaper 9mm practice ammo. I just bought some practice ammo at Walmart last week, and .45 is running almost $15 for a box of 50, while 9mm is about half as much.

I think that in your situation I might follow the path of least resistance, which would be to look at other 9mm handgun designs instead of the 1911, and have a wide selection to choose from. The 9mm is very popular and you'd have your choice of many brands and types. In a barrel length of 3.5 to 4.0 inches and compact dimensions for CCW, I'd look at:

- Glock 19
    - Sig P228
    - Sig P239
    - H&K P2000sk
    - S&W M&P compact
    - Kahr K9 or P9

Good luck.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

SIG P225/P6 comes in 9mm and costs $300 to $350.... I love the gun myself.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

If you are going with 9mm because of ammo costs, then why are you looking for such a rare, expensive pistol to shoot it in? There are a great many other designs that were made for the 9mm, and not an adaptation to 9mm. And they will cost far less than a commander size 1911 in 9mm. In addition, parts and accessories would be almost nil for such an uncommon pistol.

The only 1911 style 9mm I would consider would be the new Springfield Armory EMP, which was sized specifically for the 9mm in a 1911 action. At 23 ounces and a 9+1 capacity, I don't think you'll do any better. The only thing that doesn't fit your requirements is the 3" barrel, but I don't think it's much of an issue as far as velocity loss goes, with the 9mm. If I was hankerin' for a 9mm 1911, this is the one I'd buy.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

It sounds like you want to best of all worlds - I like that. I think you'll have an easier time finding a 1911 in .45ACP though. The EMP does seem like the best answer - I have no personal experience with them, but it is built around the 9mm cartridge.

Have you fired 9mm and compared it to .45 ACP?

Austin

Looking for a 9 mm, I would look at a Kahr P9. It's pretty simple and not too expensive.

You might have more luck getting a .45 and then buying a .22 kit for practice. Marvel and Ceiner both make them.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

One more question....is the Kimber Aegis II built around the 9mm like the Springer EMP. I really don't want something that is adapted to shoot a 9mm. In a case like that, I will probably go the extra couple hundred a year for ammo and get a .45 caliber. Either a Kimber, Springer, or Colt. They all seem to be, tic for tac, as for as followers.
    Thanks,
    Larry

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    get a springfield 9mm
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    get a springfield 9mm
    Yeah, I would...... but in my first question I stated I wanted a 4 inch barrel. As you know, the EMP only has a 3 inch.
    I figure if I'm going to spend a thousand dollars on a pistol....I going to try and get what I want......try anyway. The barrel length and the fact I want it to be S/S are more important than the caliber. If I have to go with a .45 I would probably be better off in the end, but for some reason I'm stuck on the 9mm. I guess...that's from being a newbie.
    Larry

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lebvette View Post
    One more question....is the Kimber Aegis II built around the 9mm like the Springer EMP. I really don't want something that is adapted to shoot a 9mm....
    Nope, the EMP is the only 1911 type firearm to date initially designed to work with the 9mm, instead of being reverse engineered to work with the 9mm.

The Para double stack 9s are kinda/sorta designed differently, but that's a whole other story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links