Ruger SP101 Help

Ruger SP101 Help

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys- I want to purchase a Ruger SP101 to have another option in my CCW choices, I want it to be .357....... But I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ruger SP101 Help

Hey guys-

I want to purchase a Ruger SP101 to have another option in my CCW choices, I want it to be .357.......

But I need to know what you guy's think 3" or 2" barrel, also what grips do you guys recommend. Also does anyone know an actual decibal rating of a 357 fired from a 2 inch barrel, I dont think I buy the saying, you'll go deaf from a 357.

Also what ammo do you guys recommend for low recoil and low flash, I was thinking about CorBon 357 Mag DPX.

Also what holsters go you guys use to carry your 2 or 3 inch SP101's in?

So what do you guys think or recommend?

Thanks,
    Josh

VIP Member
    I carry a 2" in a soft leather IWB.

I haven't fired either round you are asking about through it, I keep Winchester 125grn power points in it.

I don't know that you can reduce muzzle flash too much on such a short barrel.

As for recoil, I have the stock grips in place and the recoil is almost all straight back into the elbow. Very little muzzle flip.

As for how loud... it's just loud. Although not nearly as loud as a friend's Desert Eagle in .357. That is much worse.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I carry a 357, 2-1/4 bbl, stock grips with wood inserts. Usually loaded with Fed Hydrashok +P. Anything's going to be pretty loud. Holster depends on dress/occasion. Often HighNoon tuckable IWB; or Galco ankle holster; or Galco Speed Paddle OWB if need quick on-and-off. Usually speedstrips for reload.

I have the 2 1/4" SP101 and carry it via a "Clipdraw" which is working out very well.

For carry, I generally stick with the original grips. For practice (lots of shooting) I switch over to "Trausch" grips which are a little bigger and really tame recoil of .357, much better than the Houge's. I'll carry with the Trausch sometimes, too, depending on cover garmets.

Any handgun (or rifle or shotgun) will kill your hearing, shot by shot. I would recommend never, ever shooting without hearing protection. Every really loud noise kills a few of those "whatch ma call its" in your ear (little hair like things) They don't grow back, they're gone forever. You can spend a small amount now on hearing protection or, like me, $4,000 on hearing aids late in life. I use plugs and "Pro Ears" electronic muffs so as to try & save what hearing I have left.

For lighter loads, I load up reduced loads with cast bullets.

Cloudpeak

For barrel length it depends how you will carry, for pocket I would want the 2" for OWB or IWB I would want the 3"-4" barrel. For the round to use I like the Hydrahoks, as I have seen what they do on deer sized game, the 125 grain HP is suppose to give the best stopping power according to FBI testing. No way to reduce muzzleflash from a snubnose, it is what it is and the same with the noise so ear protection should be doubled up.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I've shot an associate's short-barreled SP 101 on occasion and really love the factory grips. The shorter barrel looks cool but realistically one can conceal one about as well as the other. I'd probably select the longer barrel if I were purhcasing the gun. In .357 Magnum I'd carry a heavy 158 grain handload and be happy.

SP101

My wife has a set of stock grips with wood inserts in hers and they carry well and look good with a bit of work. I got them cheap from Gun Parts. Hers is .38 and 3", but a friend carries one in .357, also a 3" with Remington Gold Saber. He chose them specifically because they're medium velocity and milder than full power 125gr. My suggestion is to go buy a few boxes of ammo and spend a bit of money. Get some .38 standard, +p, and +p+. Buy a box of DPX, try a box of 145gr Silvertip, and try some Gold Saber and a box of 125gr Federal or Winchester or Remington JHP. It will cost you a bit, but shoot some of each (with good ear protection) and pick the most powerful load you can comfortably control. IIRC the shot will be around 155-160 decibels, instant and permanant hearing damage range.

I have them both

And the 2" stays in the truck with Hogue rubber grips since I want something to grab on to in case. The 3" has Badger rosewood boot grips and stays in a Del Fatti OWB. Both are loaded with 158g GoldDots.

As to recoil, well, they are short barreled .357's, yet, as the 3" is ported, it's a little less annoying.
    Attached Images

Administrator
    All good advice so far, the only thing I have to add is that I think a 8 special is a little more damaging and painful on the ears than a 357. The 357 might be louder, but the 38 has that sharp pitch that just makes my ears ring when they come out of a snub.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the 3" version, but let me ask, why .357 and why a 5 shot revolver? I have one and love it but there are a lot more effective weapon choices that will give you more rounds, conceal better, reload faster, etc. etc. So why? Having said that, I LOVE the SP101 and I bought it because I saw some that others had customized and just loved it but, it's heavy compared to a J frame .38 and shooting even moderate .357's is a kick (literally).

I added Pachmyr Compac grips and they do a good job absorbing .357 recoil, they still recoil well and don't grab shirts and they're relatively in expensive.

The 2" barrel is going to be a tad easier to conceal but it's not a pocket gun unless you're a larger guy with good sized pockets who can handle the weight.

the cmost concealable version will be the 2" in a high ride OWB holster.

To give you a comparison, I also carry a Kahr Mk9 that shoots better, is much flatter and easier to conceal/carry, gives me 7 rounds and a much faster reload.

Just some thoughs, but I sure do love my 3". I think the extra length looks good but doesn't add any real practical value for what this weapon is intended for and that's a 7 yard point and shoot.

I also recommend getting the lighter springs that are available on the internet for $8. I changed the one main spring and it makes double action much lighter and still relaible.

I use a SP101, 2 1/4 inch 357 as my BUG in a Galco pocket holster. Golden Saber 125 grain are my load.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I think the gun is a little heavy for pocket carry so the 2" may or may not be an advantage for you. The 3" would still be easy to conceal and would also make a nice general purpose revolver for hiking, camping, etc. if you do those kind of activities.

I have a snubbie SW and it is useless except for throwing in a coat pocket and carrying when I can't be made. Any other time I prefer a larger gun. Good luck to you!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post

But I need to know what you guy's think 3" or 2" barrel, also what grips do you guys recommend. Also does anyone know an actual decibal rating of a 357 fired from a 2 inch barrel, I dont think I buy the saying, you'll go deaf from a 357.

Also what ammo do you guys recommend for low recoil and low flash, I was thinking about CorBon 357 Mag DPX.

Also what holsters go you guys use to carry your 2 or 3 inch SP101's in?

So what do you guys think or recommend?

Thanks,
    Josh
    I must like the SP101, as I have three of them in .357 with 2.25" barrels, and one in .32 H&R mag with a 4" barrel. I have at least one of the snubbies with me ALL the time, often two of them. For me, in MY hands, no auto in the same size range conceals nearly as well, while still being fast to deploy and shoot well.

I like the 3-1/16" SP101, but I like to cherry-pick my Rugers rather than order them sight unseen, and I don't see as many of this length offered for sale. When I bought my third snubby, I was actually shopping for the longer size, but I handled the snubby and the 3-1/16" size, and this particular snubbie had such a sweet action, I bought it instead.

As for loudness, I would not recommend firing either barrel length without really good hearing protection, unless it was a life-or-death situation. I have several 4" .357 sixguns, and there is little practical difference in loudness, IMHO, between those two lengths.

I buy mainly two types of .357 carry ammo, the classic Federal .357 125-grain JHP, and Winchester Silvertip 145s. I tend to use the Federals in my 4-inch GP100 sixguns, and the STHPs in my Speed Six and SP101s. I have read good things about the DPX, but have not yet seen DPX offered for sale in my area except for autoloader cartridges. The STHPs are a bit milder than the Federals. Both of these loads have a long history with LE agencies.

I usually use Milt Sparks PMK holsters to carry my SP101 snubbies and my 4" Speed Six. This is a great outside-waistband rig, with just the right carry angle for my preference. I have a Sparks Summer Special for the snubbies that I can use for IWB carry, but rarely use that method for such short-barreled weapons. (The IWB rig I use for my longer DA sixguns is out of production, and would be off-topic here.)

Almost forgot the grip issue; give me the factory grips any day; they are perfect in my hands, and comfortable enough even with 180-grain hunting loads. Other rubber grips are either too large or too sticky. I recently obtained a set of wood "boot" grips from Badger, but have yet to test-fire with them in place.

Hopefully something I have said will be helpful, even though I have no experience with the 3-1/16" size.

I've got a 2.25 DAO (.357) and I love it, but I don't consider the SP comfortable for pocket carry (because of weight). It is, however, the most comfortable platform for shooting stiffer loads-.38 +p or .357. Like some others have said, I like the .357 Remington Golden Saber stuff. Shoots accurately and comfortably with stock grips (which I think work great).

3" or 2.25"? I think they're both great. Some day, I may have to add a 3" gun.

I bought a 2 1/4" back in 1995 and it's been GREAT!
    It rides in an IWB Don Hume w/Winchester .357mag Talons
    Attached Images
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links