Buying A Glock?

This is a discussion on Buying A Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last night after class one of my schools administrators (who gave a presentation) and I started talking guns and he said he had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying A Glock?

Buying A Glock?

So last night after class one of my schools administrators (who gave a presentation) and I started talking guns and he said he had a new in box Glock 21 that he would sell for $500.

I've never shot a Glock but I have heard many pros and cons about them; anyone want to shed me some light? Is it a good bargain?

Thanks
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

2. Remove Ads

That sounds high to me, but I get a Glock discount if I ever decide to buy one.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

You can pretty much buy a new one for $500
    -Biker

Administrator
    It is a little high for a used gun. It doesnt matter if it unfired "NIB" or not. If he is not a dealer, its used.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you think about it, it may not be a bad deal. Topglock is about $505 for a G21. On top of that you have shipping and a transfer fee.

Even if you could get one locally for $450 NIB which I would HIGHLY doubt if you had 8% sales tax you would be looking at $486. I've never seen a NIB G21 for $450 around here.

Basically, if you think you want it, it's not a bad deal, but it's not a bargain either. See if he would take a little less or throw in some ammo with it. But make sure you like it first.

i think thats alittle high also. if you're gonna spend $500.00,you might
    as well go to a dealer. i have the 27,also had the 23. i like how there
    fire,handle,never had a promlem(knock on wood)
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member
    I can buy a brand new one for $519.00 here and at the last gun show they were going for $480.00 , that's without night sights . You can add about $100.00 if you get night sights . You can also go to gssfonline.com and check into joining , at one time they would send you a certifcate for $125.00 off the purchase of a new Glock , it cost $35.00 to join , but you can only use it at participating dealers .
    Glock Sport Shooting Foundation .
    G S S F

Dany,

I debated for 6-8 months on type of weapon to carry and ended up going with a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I have shot many 1911 models from family and friends and felt the gun was a good fit for my hand, handled well, and I shoot extremely well with it, etc. My alternate choice was a G36 but just did not like the "fit n' feel".

But after reading Roadrunners post today (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-tonight.html) and the issue of forgetting the safety, I think i'll try out a few different Glocks or maybe look at a SIG.

Of course i'll have to keep the Kimber and tell the wife I need to look into possibly supplementing my concealed carry options...
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Glock prices relatively hover in a certain price range from about 400-550.
    Honestly, used Glocks are a bargain, from companies like CDNN Investsments. The gun is so easy to replace pieces on that if you can find one int he $300 -350r price tag Take it. They are kind of the TOYOTA tacomas of the gun world they hold there value nicely. When Buying Glocks I generally prefer to buy used then new. Expcially if they are Gen III guns. The Tenifer finish pretty much doesn't wear at all. Because, even if there is worn pieces replacing them is so incredible easy.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Glocks are terrific firearms. If I were doing it I would just buy a brand new one from a dealer. If you are spending that kind of money I would just prefer to do that.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    So last night after class one of my schools administrators (who gave a presentation) and I started talking guns and he said he had a new in box Glock 21 that he would sell for $500.
    I've never shot a Glock but I have heard many pros and cons about them; anyone want to shed me some light? Is it a good bargain?
    Thanks
    If there's no transfer fee or tax - that's a Good Price!
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Hey thanks alot everyone, I really appreciate the input. I was looking to get a new carry gun with the big tax return ;-) I'm still leaning towards a Sig226, and still may be!
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Heads up--the old G21 is a bit like gripping a 2x4 (big). I like it, but I have big hands, most people do not like it. The advantage that you have here is that he might let you shoot it first!

Is it a Gen III? I would not own a Gen II G21 (single pin frame and loose as a goose). If it has finger grooves on the grip it's a Gen III, otherwise, it's a Gen II. Look at the trigger pin. There should be two pins in that area--one for the trigger and slide release lever and a second one for the loading block. If there are not two pins it needs to go back to the factory to have the second one installed. Gen II chambers are also excessively loose in calibers over 9mm. This was corrected in Gen III guns.

Does it have night sights? How many mags? Holster(s)? Did he do anything to it in terms of after market parts? What??? (careful on this one, not all 'upgrades' go 'up')

In terms of price--without extras or for a Gen II frame $500 is high. With a couple of extras for a Gen III it's not a God awful price. I just sold my G21 for $500 with two holsters, five mags, and Trijicon night sights (Gen II). We both came away smiling.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Glocks are great guns... unless you are buying a NIB from a dealer, it's not NIB. $500 is the local price for a NIB Glock.

If you have not shoot a Glock you should find a range that rents them and shoot one for yourself. Personally I prefer Glock's compact size guns (19, 23, ...).
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I think $500 for an as new, unfired G21 is good. I honestly don't know where some of you are from that a NIB G21 sells for $500, but if so---get one. IMO, everyone should at least try a Glock once. I've had the G21, and it was nice. Compared to the rest of my Glocks in smaller calibers---the fit for me just didn't hit the highs I expected. It was traded after three years. Now with the advent of the G21SF---who knows? Worth another look? Glock on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links