Para Ordnance

Para Ordnance

This is a discussion on Para Ordnance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to get in the 1911s and went and held some last night at the gun shop. I thought a Rock island or taurus would ...

Thread: Para Ordnance

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Para Ordnance

Looking to get in the 1911s and went and held some last night at the gun shop. I thought a Rock island or taurus would be a good place to start and the guy behind the counter handed me a para ordinance and man it felt good. Double stack in 45acp and was very light, very. I think it was lighter than my XD. Not sure what model but I wonder if any of you guys may own A Para or have in the past. Sound off and let me know your plus and minus on Para. Thanks.

Administrator
    Para's offerings are tempting, but do a little research before you plunk your hard earned cash down... they dont have the best quality control track record.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Para

We have some as rentals at the gunshop and they have been less than reliable in the long run. Too many parts breaking, including the new extractor design, for me to want one. There are plenty of people who love them and carry them with no reservations. If you do, I sugest a regular inspection and maintenence schedule.

Proceed with caution. Do a little more research around here before you buy a Para.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Paras generally aren't bad guns. They are proprietary in parts, so if something does break you're kind of stuck. I've seen a lot of barrel bushings (and guiderods) go down range--but they always hit the "A" zone (so you know they're accurate). The P-16-40 is a soild offering, and their LDA is tempting if you like polymer-impaired guns.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Proceed with caution. Do a little more research around here before you buy a Para.
    I strongly agree --

I have an older P14

great shooter

did have to replace springs - it had an unknown round count - I got a great price on it during the hi cap ban - and it came with 6 hi cap mags...

I have consistently fired at a 18" disc at 100 yards I usually hit 13 times out of 15...

some people have had issues - they do have good service - but often it is like playing the phone game- got to be clear on what the problem is...

I owned a Para 7.45 LDA.

Plus- Sweetest trigger I have ever squeezed. Made a marksman out of new shooters. Most accurate 45 I owned, at the time.

Minus- Unreliable, single shot, POS. It would only feed from one Specific Meg-Gar magazine. Then, it started coming apart. The thumbsafety was constantly needing to be pressed back in during a range session.

The black finish wore badly, quickly. In two weeks of carry, the 7.45 was missing so much finish, it looked mottled. Then the recoil spring began gouging the dustcover.

Sold at a loss, to a young man, who upon hearing all it's flaws, still had to have it. That finished me with Para Ordnance.

Two guys on my squad, at my old agency, had similar experiences with the compact 45 LDA. Good luck. Regards 18DAI.

Wow, some serious Para bashing. I must have had a stroke of luck. My para has fired 5000+ rounds down range without a single problem and will reliably feed from any magazine I use. Of course mine is a newer model - maybe they have improved things?

Para

It is a toss of the dime. As to date I have not had any problems with my Para Tac 4 after changing the mag springs to wolf+10's. The LDA trigger is wonderful and it shoots very tight groups. With that being said I hear all kinds of bad poop about them but have never experienced it yet. I may have 1000 rnds through mine.

.02 worth
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

My para 12.45 LDA had a sweet trigger pull also....very accurate.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Any input in regards to the Hawgs??

Haven't had my Slim Hawg long enough yet to give you a decent report. As of yet, I've only put about 200 rounds through mine. The first magazine fired had a FTF on the last round. It hasn't happened since.

So far, I've been happy, but 200 rounds is not a long enough test to give a definate answer.
    Last edited by MoMike; February 1st, 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

don't know why,,, some peoples don't have any problems with theirs and then you have some that their guns all ways goes down. no reason for this. if it was me i would look at the glock 30. the older para guns seem to hold up better that the new ones. they are like kel tec guns, either you like them or you don't.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have a 7.45 LDA, the CCW model. It is an awesome shooter, great trigger, and it's very nice to carry. However, it does give me an FTE about every 100 rounds.

I have decided to keep it and troubleshoot the jamming though, because I like the gun. I know, stupid decision, but hey I am merely a man.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Links