??? about different 1911 models

This is a discussion on ??? about different 1911 models within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plan to buy my father a 1911. I want to get something from springfield armory. My father doesn't have his CHL yet, but has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??? about different 1911 models

I plan to buy my father a 1911. I want to get something from springfield armory. My father doesn't have his CHL yet, but has expressed interest. B/C of the possibility of it being a carry gun I was think a SA Loaded Champion. Its got a 4" barrell and stainless finish. I was also looking at the 5" Loaded Lightweight. Its got the more traditional 1911 look being full-size.

My dad is a little old school so I think the 5" might be better and it's lighter. Added barrell length is less cumbersome than added weight IMO for a carry gun.

I've heard the non 5" 1911s are more problematic. Is that true?

I was also thinking a Light weight Champion from SA would be the best choice for more comfortable carry, but time at the range would be less enjoyable.

Which 1911 would you want if you were an old school guy who has never owned his own 1911 before and you will likely carry this gun?
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Lightweight Commander

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    Which 1911 would you want if you were an old school guy who has never owned his own 1911 before and you will likely carry this gun?
    I have a variety of 1911s in different barrel lengths, frame materials and calibers. For carry purposes my favorite is Commander length (4 to 4.25 inch barrel), aluminum frame and thin grip panels. This results in a gun that weighs about 28 ounces empty with a slide width of 0.90 inches and grip width of 1.05 inches. It is nice and thin for easy IWB concealment and not so heavy that it pulls down on your pants. And a gun like this is quite large enough to handle .45 recoil and be fun to shoot at the range.

Most of the major vendors make a gun like this, including Colt, Kimber, Springfield, S&W, Para Ordnance, etc. Each brand has its supporters. Personally I use a Kimber Pro CDP and am happy with it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I too have several 1911s. Two that I think are suitable for carry. A Colt Lightweight Commander and a Kimber CDP II. The 5" guns are a bit too heavy and more difficult to conceal.
    There are so many 1911 options being produced now that it's difficult to make a clear decision. I've always been a Colt guy but Kimber makes a fine product.

The Lightweight Champion sounds like the best of both worlds for your dad. It will still be a pleasure to shoot at the range.

If he ends up not liking it, which I seriously doubt, you should have no problem selling it.

If you don't already have an SA 1911 I think you will be impressed.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

With a good stiff belt, I have no problems carrying a Govt. size steel Kimber. There are a lot of good guns out there in varieties of sizes in a 1911 style. It's very personal, so try out what you can, and what feels good. Have fun, good luck, and be safe.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

I just looked at the Kimber Pro CDP II and the Pro Carry II. Both have alloy frames at 28oz empty and 4" barrels. The CDP is more fancied up with the two tone and melt job while the Pro Carry is more plain jane. The Kimbers also seem to fit the bill and Kimber seems to have more models to choose from. These two kimbers might just fit the bill perfectly. I'll have to take a look at the prices and see if the difference is huge. If they are close I'll probably go with the CDP b/c its nicer.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

I carry the Kimber Ultra Carry II and love it.

If i could have afforded it, I would have ponied up the extra $ and gotten the CDP II.

They're great guns and a joy to shoot / carry.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

i would say weight is more important than barrel length. but having said that, mine is a 3" alloy framed one, so i take the best of both worlds.
    personally i would get an alloy 4", but if ur dad likes the oldschool ones, then 5" will be fine too.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I've heard the non 5" 1911s are more problematic. Is that true?
    There are differing schools of thought on this. Wilson Combat's shortest 1911 barrel length is 3.6 inches and their literature says that this is the shortest that they believe they can go without having problems. While the original design was with a 5-inch barrel, I've heard of very few problems with the Commander-length pistols.

Personally, I have a Colt Defender (3-inch barrel) that doesn't get along with hollowpoints at all and it can also jam on hardball if I limp-wrist it in the slightest. I've heard from others with Defenders that'll feed rocks.

The general consensus is that if you get one of the "good" 3-inchers, it's great, but many people report problems with them.

A 5" or 4 1/4" barrel should be just fine.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I'd ask him how he feels about C&L carry. I know a bunch of people that love to shoot; but, they would never carry a 1911 in condition 1. Perhaps he would be more comfortable with a DA/SA Sig as a lot of peole are. I'm just guessing.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The only 'problem' I have with the CDP II is that the large amount of checkering begins to hurt the heel of my hand with extended range work. I've solved that by wearing a light, leather glove on my gun hand.
    The pistol also 'prints' (for me), about 1 1/2 inches to the left compared to my Commander 'Lightweight'. A fellow shooter who really can blow out the 10 ring at 50 feet, puts them all in the middle with the Kimber. (It's not the gun --- apparently). Am I turning my wrist????
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

A 5" Colt or Springfield loaded

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Can't really go wrong with the SA Mil-Spec Govt model or the SA Champion (I'm a Springer lover). Own one of each and carried the full size for many years. Recently started carrying an older model
    (1994) Champion and find it easier to carry and draw. Both guns are reliable and will feed hollowpoints and SWC's with no problem. Try that with many of the 3" .45's out there and I know you will see problems, something you definately don't need or want in a CCW. If he is really old school go for the full size. JMO and have fun shopping.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Well, I'm an old guy if 56 counts. Don't say a word:-) I agree with Bud a Springfield Armory loaded full size or a Colt Government model.
    Kimbers quality control has been spotty lately so I'd stay with one of the other two. I have carried the LW Champion and it's comfortable to carry all day.
    You can check this page on my blog. You can compare several there.
    1911 45’s « Gunner’s Journal

Before I purchased a Kimber, I bought a Springfield. (It was less expensive). I took it home, cleaned it and loaded it with my Corbon 'carry' ammo. To make certain all rounds would feed, I tried to eject them through the clip. The gun failed to eject a live round. Returned to the dealer and ultimately to Springfield, it seems the ejector rod was much too long. (Quality control problems can strike even the best of companys).
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links