Looking at revolvers...

This is a discussion on Looking at revolvers... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at revolvers. I am thinking of getting one with a four inch barrel, but an not sure. I don't like a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at revolvers...

Looking at revolvers...

I am looking at revolvers. I am thinking of getting one with a four inch barrel, but an not sure. I don't like a lot of bounce that the snubs give me and I do like the better aim of the longer nose, but I don't like the look of feel of the 6 inch (or longer) barrel. Does any one have an oppinion about a three to four inch barrel revolver that they like for a woman? It would be a second/backup carry weapon. I checked out S&W and liked the Model 22, 4 inch- S&W Classics. I also like the 5 and 1/2 barrel look, but don't know if that would be to long for me. I would love input from the rest of you.

TDPalmer

2. Remove Ads

For me anything longer than a 3" barrel is too long for CCW. My perfered CCW is a 2.5" S&W Model 66. It has perfect balance, a great trigger and is as accurate as any DA auto. Carried in a Milt Sparks IWB Versimax2 holster it's great. For a back up gun to any primary CCW I would always choose a S&W J-Frame. My particular choice is a Model 642. Regards, Dennis

if you want a four inch i would look at the s&w model 19. a great gun and you can shoot 38sp and/or 357 mag in it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

If I understand correctly this will be a ladies backup gun. I would have to say that the S&W model 637 Lady Smith Airweight snubbie would be the best choice. Using the proper ammunition the recoil is very easy to deal with. Using the Winchester lead semi wadcutter or the Speer Gold Dot for short barrels are both effective rounds with nominal recoil. If a heavier gun is the way you want to go then the steel S&W 442 would be a second choice.
    The problem with a 3 inch barrel revolver is weight as a backup gun. It will be difficult to find a comfortable concealed carry holster as well as carrying a primary gun. The 3 inch guns are all steel. One of my favorite guns is a S&W 3 inch revolver but only as a primary gun.
    S&W also makes the 637 with laser grips. A nice combination if somewhat pricey. I have several gun reviews on my blog about 3 inch revolvers as well as snubby revolvers.
    Male or female the snubbie is the best backup gun.
    Gunner’s Journal

Also a friend of mine has a site devoted entirely to snub revolvers. This is a very informative site.
    The Snubnose Files

I know snubbys are supposed to be good guns, but I just don;t like them, that is why I want a longer barrel. Are the 3-4 inch barrels harder to conceal?

TDPalmer

I don't think most men would have a serious problem concealing a 4" bbl wheel gun if they really wanted to but women are smaller and it would be more difficult. With proper attire they could probably keep one in a shoulder harness under some kind of generous vest but otherwise... I don't know.

My wife keep a J frame in her purse. I would say a J frame makes more sense or go with a smaller semi auto. One reason semi autos are so popular is the thinness of their frame compared to a revolver.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    IMO the 3" barreled .357 is the perfect length for a CCW. The longer ejector rod will ensure your empty cases eject when reloading. My 3" model 66-2 is the most accurate revolver I own and is a piece of cake to conceal. Owned a 2.5" 686 and it was not nearly as accurate and was only comfortable OWB due to the thicker cylinder.
    Also carry my model 36 alot. It is my go anywhere gun. Prefer my
    .45 Champion but there are times when going in and out of businesses that do not allow firearms the little Smith is easy to slip into my pants with a Galco IWB clip holster. Good luck shopping!
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; February 1st, 2008 at 09:41 PM. Reason: sp
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

kpw
    SP101 in 3 1/8" barrel.

+1 on the S&W model 66 3". Love mine and accurate as anything I've shot also, 357 or 38sp.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    +1 on the model 19. Also check out the S&W 686, it's a beefier stainless steel version of the model 19 with a fully underlugged barrel. It has lots of weight out front, which makes it very comfortable to shoot, especially with .38 specials loads.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Do we have a budget? Ah, if only to dream.....Well, I just bought an old, but in be-a-u-tiful shape, Model 10 S&W .38 caliber. $125.00, shoots great, 4" blue, and it has, oh joy, a pinned hammer! There are a lot of these on the market used and in good shape. The action is smooth in double action and in single action....it's a Smith.....Great gun and not really expensive. Oh, by the way, lot's of police carried this gun for a lot of years and the recoil isn't terrible if that helps.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tdpalmer View Post
    I know snubbys are supposed to be good guns, but I just don;t like them, that is why I want a longer barrel. Are the 3-4 inch barrels harder to conceal?

TDPalmer
    Speaking as a male of the species I don't find my 4" revolver much more difficult to conceal than my 2-1/2". For me concealment issues are more about the butt of the gun than the length of the barrel. All the cover garments I use to cover my 2-1/2" S&W 686 will also cover my 4" Ruger GP100 easily. I think you are wise to consider a revolver with a 4" barrel for comfortable shooting. A previous poster mentioned th S&W Model 10. I bet that would be an excellent choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I don't think most men would have a serious problem concealing a 4" bbl wheel gun if they really wanted to but women are smaller and it would be more difficult. With proper attire they could probably keep one in a shoulder harness under some kind of generous vest but otherwise... I don't know.

My wife keep a J frame in her purse. I would say a J frame makes more sense or go with a smaller semi auto. One reason semi autos are so popular is the thinness of their frame compared to a revolver.
    If it helps I am not a small woman, I am five eight and aboiut 190lbs. I am working on losing some weight, but I have never been small, so I don't think I will have to worry to much about that. I hide my 1911 with ease and it is a full size handle on a four inch barrel (Kimber Pro Aegis II). I was thinking that something about the same on a revolver would work as well. Price is a limiter to some extent, I would like to stay under $1000 since it is a second gun, but I don't want a cheap $100 gun either or for that matter a cheap $1000 one. Am I helping at all here?

TDPalmer

With that kind of budget I would look for a 3" K frame S&W. The big difference between the 3" and 4" barrels is the grip frame they are built on. The 3" guns have round butts and the 4" guns have square butts. You have a whole lot more options with RB grips and they are much easier to conceal.

You should look at Robertson Trading Post Homepage as they have a really great selection of nice 3" K frames (both .38 and .357) for good prices.

Be still my heart, a woman that wants a 22-4.

To me that rocks! I carry either a 22-4 and a 442 or a GP100 with a 3" Barrel and the 442, but I'm all testosterone.

I really like the 3" guns for carry, but the J-Frames for BUGs. The BUG is for those times when you absolutely cannot hide a bigger gun and to supplement your "Primary" arms.

I would look at the following revolvers for daily carry:

Primary (given that you want a 22-4)

625 4" Barrel
    625 3" Barrel (Good luck finding one)
    22-4 4" Barrel
    GP100 3" Barrel
    13/65 3" Barrel
    686 3" Barrel
    686 4" Barrel
    19/66 4" Barrel
    10 3" Barrel
    10 4" Barrel

BUG

442/642

That's it. Those are my choices and you may want something different. If you wonder why I selected something in the order I did, just ask. I like .357 Magnum and 45acp, but the 38 is a good one too.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links