A little gun swappin'

This is a discussion on A little gun swappin' within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So anyway I did something a little different today. I happened to meet 2 other CCW permit holders at the range, let's call them "Richey ...

Thread: A little gun swappin'

A little gun swappin'

So anyway I did something a little different today. I happened to meet 2 other CCW permit holders at the range, let's call them "Richey Rich" and "Melissa". "Richey Rich" I'm nominally acquainted with and he has a case full of new toys every time I see him.

"Rich" suggested we try out each other's primary CCW pistols. We all surprised each other. I unholstered the XD40, removed the magazine, and locked the slide open. "Rich" had never seen an XD in person before and had no idea you could get it in stainless, and "Melissa" thought it was ugly. Both of them are confirmed Glock haters and initially thought it was some kind of weird Glock model.

"Rich" surprised me an awful lot. I was expecting a Sig or a Colt or Para Ordnance or an HK or Wilson Combat or something else super expensive, but he produced instead the new Commander sized Springfield GI. I think they call it the GI Champion Lightweight or something. I call it a 4" bbl Springfield GI.

"Melissa" floored us both with, of all things on earth, a Smith and Wesson 22A with the 4" bbl. I had no idea they even made a Model 22 with a barrel shorter than 5 and a half inches.

I found the GI Lightweight Champion or whatever the heck it's called to interesting to shoot. In actual operation it was fun and the action felt smooth and crisp. It was actually a very good size, pointed well, and had a nice flat profile. I didn't like the sights one little bit for some reason, and the controls felt small for some reason. The other thing I didn't like about it was that to carry it safely you have to rely on a safety that feels too small or somehow misplaced. While I would enjoy this gun, I don't think I'd carry it unless I was very familiar with its controls. I have to admit I did enjoy the flat profile and the easy to manipulate single stack magazines. Discounting 3 fliers (which were my fault I'm sure... at least they were inside the rings) out of 27 rounds it held a 3 to 4" group at 7 yards with rapid unsupported fire with only one malfunction when the very last round I was supposed to fire misfed, however simply tapping and racking fixed the problem in about 1 second. I was impressed even though I found the gun a touch awkward.

The 22A didn't make out so well. While it felt right and handled well and was a lot of fun to shoot (wish we could shoot at tin cans on the range!), the thing that killed it for me was it misfed two times. TBoth were quick and easy fixes, but took more effort than the small misfeed with the Springfield. The 22A is definitely an interesting choice for a CCW pistol. I think I'd get a Browning or a Ruger first, but if I ever see a 22A cheap enough I wouldn't mind having one. I think you could probably switch ammo or tweak it to fix the reliability issue. There is something to be said for the idea your .22 could also be CCWed if you wanted to.

I was proud of the XD. It did not misbehave for either of them and they each fired 2 magazines out of it. "Rich" was suitably impressed and cut a nice neat hole with it, "Melissa" thought it had too much "kick" and that the grip was too big, and she had to choke up on it too much to depress the grip safety, but she thought it was a better choice than her gun. But even at that every shot hit her silhouette target inside the 4 or 5 point zone.

The end result? I've figured out if I ever get a 1911 I should get a full sized one first. "Rich" wants an XD now. "Melissa" liked the GI much better than the XD and wants something like a 1911 but in 9x19. Rich suggested the S&W 3913, and I contended if she really liked the cocked and locked aspect a BHP would be the way to go.

It is interesting what you learn about a person (and yourself, and guns in general) when you shoot their carry gun for a little while.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    True enough Euc - been there and done that - more than once.

One guy at club recently got an XD-40 - and I tried it out - loved it!

He had already tried my 226 - and liked it.

I think over time I have about tried all carry platforms - which is more than useful and I'd suggest to anyone - get your sweaty paws on any potential carry piece and shoot it - it is the only way to know what you like and helps greatly in making your personal choice that bit easier.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well and the other thing is, when you start reading up on this subject you get the idea that 98% of people CCW a very small variety of guns, when in fact there's probably as many good CCW choices as there are people.

It floored me when I saw a low end compact 1911 and a .22 caliber pistol were the CCW choices of people who seemed to have thought about it a lot. Makes you wonder if they know something you don't.

Of the things you mention on the springfield a loaded models fixs bigger sights there tiny on a Gi even though i shoot very well with Gi sights i dont care for them.

The thumbsafety is tiny on a Gi but again bigger on other models i prefer a 5inch my self again personal choice.. Ever get up this way ill let ya shoot my 1911 goodies

You just never know

Yes, how true it is that you often think you "know" someone until you see their choice in something very personal, like their jewelry, favorite TV shows or their choice in weapons. Especially surprising is when the person can probably afford whatever they want and decides on something completely out of character... like a millionaire who drives a Chevy instead of a BMW or prefers a Timex over a Rolex. I have close to 60 handguns of various designs and styles, from BP revolvers & dueling pistols to some of the newest semi-autos. They also range from less than $100 new to over a $1,000. My personal choice in a CC gun, a Bersa Ultra Compact in either 9mm or 45 ACP. They're reliable, have all the features I want, are just the right size for me and are actually affordable at about $300 new. BTW, I also still drive the Dodge Daytona Turbo Z I bought new back in Feb of '85. I like the looks, it does what I want it to do, has all the options I want and it's been paid off for over 15 years.

Attached Images
    Last edited by rachilders; August 28th, 2005 at 02:56 AM. Reason: EDIT
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Lead Moderator
    intresting. No .22's for me as a primary. but maybe some day a 1911.

Links