Smith & Wesson Model 40 "Classic" "Lemon Squeezer"

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Model 40 "Classic" "Lemon Squeezer" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plead guilty once again. I had some free time yesterday so I indulged myself and visited a gun shop (or more than one...). I ...

Thread: Smith & Wesson Model 40 "Classic" "Lemon Squeezer"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

I plead guilty once again. I had some free time yesterday so I indulged myself and visited a gun shop (or more than one...).

I found an interesting item. I already have a Smith & Wesson Model 36 Chief's Special. It's a great little gun and it is Smith's modern incarnation of that classic. In fact, it is part of Smith's "Classics" series, or so their website tells me.

Anyway I happened upon another one of those "Classics", one without an internal lock. It is a Model 40- it has a (unique to revolvers?) kind of squeeze-off/un-squeeze-off safety. Much like the beavertail on a 1911 or the safety on an XD.

The doggoned gun is occupying my spare moments- I LOVE my Chief's Special for many reasons- old skewl kewl looks, straight shooting, easily concealable (very easy to stick in a pocket) and reliable, to name a few.

The 40 looks like it would be much the same, with the added advantages of no hammer to worry about when being pulled, it would fit in my J-frame holsters, and that squeezer-eezer is pretty cool.

It also has that (very) old school ("classic"?) look.

Does anyone have one of these? Has anyone ever had one of these-like back in the day?

Talk to me...like the bad guy in "Dirty Harry", "I gots ta know!"
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

1943 - 2009
    I owned a Model 42 Airweight Centennial back in the day. It was my BUG when I carried a badge for a living.

The re-introduced Model 40 is identical with the original Centennials with one exception. The originals had a pre-drilled hole thru the grip frame and grip safety, and came with a factory supplied pin so you could lock out the grip safety. Just depress the safety, line up the holes, insert the pin, and voila! the grip safety is deactivated.

Any gunsmith could drill the holes and make a pin so you could do the same thing to the new model.

The new Model 40 is all steel, and IMO is strictly a holster gun & a bit heavy for pocket carry.

Yes, the new Model 40 Centennial is a classic. +P rated and no internal lock!

Now if only S&W would re-introduce the Airweight Model 42...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Combat Handguns magizine had a good article on the "Lemon Squeezer" about a month ago.

How much did they want for it?

"I gots ta know"

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    NCHornet:

Well,that's kind of the problem, too. Their asking price was $ 585.00, which is a bit much IMHO. They might come down some, to like $ 570.00, but not much more than that.

Ordinarily I might try to do some sort of a deal with them on it, but they are extremely limited in the trades they'll make.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

nice gun and nice price. that is the problems with some guns. the price gets high.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

that one caught my eye as well, very nicely done. The lack of an internal lock really appeals to me.

on a side note...those "deals of a lifetime" that people talk about...a guy on another forum found an original in great shape for $180 at a pawn shop a week or so ago. Why don't I ever stumble across stuff like that?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Only thing I don't like about the new model is the lack of the lock out pin for the grip safety like on the older models..

Old school is cool.

Sponsored Links