Condition 1 Left Hand Safety Fix

This is a discussion on Condition 1 Left Hand Safety Fix within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some will probably remember in another thread about carrying in condition one that I had talked about a problem I was experiencing with the safety ...

Thread: Condition 1 Left Hand Safety Fix

Condition 1 Left Hand Safety Fix

Some will probably remember in another thread about carrying in condition one that I had talked about a problem I was experiencing with the safety on my Kimber 1911. Well my original problem was that being a lefty that I would find the unprotected thumb safety would on occasion be in the off position during normal carry. My first thought was to find a holster that would cover the exposed safety, which turned out to be an impossible task. The second option was to have an ambi safety installed and the mill the safety lever on the left side completely off, thus making it a truly left hand only safety. While looking at the Kimber site I saw the safety on the Aegis and thought I would instead give that profile a try first though. So a little work with the dremel and the finished product is exactly what the doctor ordered and has worked perfectly now for several weeks. Obviously the extended safety just allowed too much leverage and didn't take much pressure to release the safety. Here's some before and after pics.
    Attached Images
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

2. Remove Ads

Lefty

Jeff F,

Hello from one lefty to another. I carry a Hi-Power that I had a gunsmith install a Cylinder and Slide ambidextrous safety. It uses a spring pushing against a ball that clicks firmly into the dent. In a Crossbreed holster this safety does not come off safe.

That is a great job you did on your carry pistol.

-- Richard
    Last edited by RKirk; February 2nd, 2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Wow - brave to do it on the gun like that! If you detail strip it, you might be able to thin it out a "groove" or so easier. FWIW. Here's a handy guide that helped me a lot my first few times through: Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2005) - Surplusrifle.com

Looks like you did a nice job!

Austin

Well I took it slow and easy and ran the dremel at lowest speed. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish. I'm very pleased with it. I'm in the process of purchasing another 1911 with a shorter slide and it will have an ambi safety that will get nuetered to a left hand only safety.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Nice job on the home gun-smithing! I didn't see your previous post, but if you ever want to go back to the extended safety, I would be happy to make you a holster with full coverage to the outside. How easy/difficult is the new profile to re-engage the safety?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Thanks for the offer on the holster, I'll keep that in mind. It's definitely a little more work to manipulate the safety, but by no means difficult. There's a lot of leverage in the extended safety lever, and it seemed that it was catching on something I was coming in contact with and swiping it off. Never could figure out what was doing it though.

Administrator

Thumbs up Nice Neat Job.

I always match my 1911s to the original old thumb safety configuration. I never had any need for an extended thumb safety.
    I could never even figure out why anybody ever even extended the first one. A totally useless enhancement in my opinion.

An old Colt grip safety.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For some reason they do seem to be all the rage now don't they

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Thanks for the offer on the holster, I'll keep that in mind. It's definitely a little more work to manipulate the safety, but by no means difficult. There's a lot of leverage in the extended safety lever, and it seemed that it was catching on something I was coming in contact with and swiping it off. Never could figure out what was doing it though.
    usually car door or doors in general this is where i noticed i would find mine off before i got a holster with the safety molded into the body shield and then after that no more safety off problems it all depends on the holster

My 1911 is the old GI issue style by armscor, and it doesn't have nor need an extended safety. It work great just the way it was designed to be. Sure it isn't as pretty as some, but when the shtf, it'll go bang better than most.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Bud, that's what I figure the culprit was. I'm in and out of the vehicle all day long. Just couldn't actually catch it happening to be 100% sure. Since I bobbed that safety though I haven't had a single incident.

S3ymour, agree don't see much need for an extended safety either. BTW was in Ohio last week. Grew up there most my life but left around time CC was finally there. Gotta say those gun free zone signs are a real PITA. I had my carry with me and leaving it in the vehicle so much sucks. Gotta love Wyoming.

Links