g19

g19

This is a discussion on g19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what is it about this gun? i cant seem to stop thinking about getting one but everytime i hold one the grip just feels big. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: g19

g19

what is it about this gun? i cant seem to stop thinking about getting one but everytime i hold one the grip just feels big. maybe it is in my head but i want one but the grip just seems odd. anyone else suffer like that?

I agree with your point

I've owned a Glock 19 for about 10 years and it is an excellent gun in most respects. But I would agree with you on the feel of the grip.

The G19 grip tends to be rather rectangular in cross section, rather than oval, so it doesn't fit the human hand as comfortably as the grips on some competing guns. It has these fairly sharp corners that you have to wrap your hand around. I have always thought that the grip on some other double stack 9mm guns was more comfortable, such as the Walther P99, the H&K USP compact, and the Sig P228.

There is a small industry of gun modifiers that will offer to reshape the Glock grip to make it more pleasing to your hand.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Buy one, shoot the heck out of it, and get used to the Glock grip.

The G19 is the next Glock I would like to purchase. Not too big, yet plenty of firepower in a very concealable package. I would carry G17 mags for reload.

Seriously, if the pistol is on your mind you gotta go out and get one.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I purchased a Glock 19 just about 6 months ago, and love it. It shoots everything I've feed it (including my personal reloads) and keeps asking for more.

Recommend: Go to a range that rents them and shoot one for yourself. If you don't love it, find something else that you do love.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have had one as an off duty for a long time. It is a great pistol that fits my hand like it was made for it. Super reliable and easy to carry. High performance 9mm ammo is GTG and really does work despite some popular advice from the gun rags. I have a couple of extras in the safe as well. If you get one, stock up on mags now.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I love my G19. grip and all, as is. I could use about another 1/4 inch on the grip length, but not a pressing need. I have larger hands though, so it feels smallish to me.

There isn't a Glock made that doesn't fit my hand good. I guess it would mattet if you have smaller hands but I hand longer hands and thus the Glock's fit me great.

Personally, the gun's are so good and so reliable that I would consider having the grip reduced to fit anyone that has issue with them. I wouldn't say that about a lesser quality of firearm.

Also, I have a few buddies that also bought a Glock thinking that the grip was strange and a little big for them but now love the grip/angle and gun in general so, go figure!?

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

maybe it is that i got spoiled right off the bat with the kimber the wife bought me a few years ago. i am sure if i carried it and shot it i might eventually get used to it and MAYBE even get to like it. who knows. just keep thinking about getting one that is all.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I do like the 1911 and own two of them. However, while my two Kimbers have run just about flawlessly, I rely on the G pistols for a variety of reasons.

Magazine capacity
    Durability
    Reliability
    Manners
    Availability of leather
    Forgiving of dirt crud etc.

These are just the things that are important to me. YMMV.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Glock definitely has a different grip angle & feel (I have small hands). I routinely alternate between 5 different carry handguns (M&Pc, G19, HK P2000, Commander, Kahr PM9) all with a different feel to them. I usually just give a good old grip & point prior to holstering and adjust accordingly. If the G19 is just something you can't get used to, consider another gun which may provide better feel for you. Alternatively, consider a grip reduction job.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

you either like them or you don't. to me there is no better gun than a glock. i have several and they never,,,never,,,never given me any problems. i can not say that about my s&w, rugers, and colts. the grip on the glock has not been a issue for me,,,but i shoot many different guns so little things don't matter.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

kpw
    There are a lot of pistols with a more comfortable grip than the G19. There isn't another pistol out there that I have found that I can shoot as fast, accurately. That is where they shine for me. The flat sides of the grip actually help me point the pistol better. The low bore axis and funky grip angle really reduce muzzle flip in my hand and the trigger has a short reset. My reccomendation to anyone that really wants to like the Glock is to buy a case of ammo with the gun and shoot the snot out of it. If you don't like it after that, sell it, there will be plenty of buyers.

what you think new 19 or 26 for carry? kinda small guy.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    what you think new 19 or 26 for carry? kinda small guy.
    The G26 is a little easier to conceal... not much. I know a guy that's 5'7" and about 145 lbs. that carries a G23 (same size) with no problems. Good holsters and proper attire will help you hide a howitzer. The G19 is the best of both worlds. Conceals easily like a compact but shoots like a full size gun.

There's a Gen 2 at a pawn shop in town with a take home price of $380. It's been hard to tell myself to not pick it up for my girlfriend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links