Pf-9 vs. P-11

This is a discussion on Pf-9 vs. P-11 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When ever I see someone suggesting a keltec 9mm it is always the pf-9, why is that. I would assume that being that they are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pf-9 vs. P-11

Question Pf-9 vs. P-11

When ever I see someone suggesting a keltec 9mm it is always the pf-9, why is that. I would assume that being that they are the same size and price people would want to go for the added rounds?

ps.
    I know the p-11 is thicker but barely even noticeably. I also now the rigger is better on the pf-9 but is the p-11 trigger really that bad?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Not familiar with the p-11 so it's hard to recommend it. I do own a PF-9 , so I can give advice about it. Hate to say it, but I do like the looks of the PF-9 better. (Yes I know I am shallow)

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

EW3
    Save your money, spend a little bit more (not much) and get a Kahr CW9. I honestly cannot recommend anything by Kel-Tec to anyone at this time. I rented and shot the CW9 at the range yesterday, and it was really nice.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I do have a PF9 but it's not the only thing out there. It is indeed easy to conceal, recently I purchased an ankle holster from Passport. I am pleased with it. I can't speak about the Kahr or any of the others but I waited over a year to find a PF9, then I lucked into a used one. The trigger is not the best, but with regular cleaning and maintenance, It will be ok. It is everything I expected, no more, no less.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I know the p-11 is thicker but barely even noticeably.
    It's not much, but it makes a pretty significant difference if you want to pocket carry. The weight of the PF-9 is significantly lower too.

I also now the rigger is better on the pf-9 but is the p-11 trigger really that bad?
    It's pretty bad.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

the p11 is some what bigger and carries more rounds. to me both the p11 and pf9 are to big for pocket carry. the p3at is the best for pocket carry. i have a p11 and it has never given me any problems. now my p3at i had to do the f&b to get it right. drop the p3at in your pocket and you will forget it is there.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have both a P11 and PF9.

The P11 is a double stack using Smith 59 or 69 series mags, longer firmer trigger, very reliable except for 147gr square nose ammo and perfect size for a 12+1 carry gun.

The PF9 is a single stack using propriety mags, very good trigger, with 7+1 round mags which makes for a very thin package. Even the slide is thinner than the P11.

Buy them both!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have a P-11, not something I often carry, but it always goes bang. When I want a small pocket gun, I take the P-380 along...it disappears in a pocket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    The P11 is a double stack using Smith 59 or 69 series mags, longer firmer trigger, very reliable except for 147gr square nose ammo
    Square nose ammo? Never heard of that.

I have carried a P-11 in the pocket of my cargo pants or cargo shorts for years. When I first compared the dimensions of the PF9 to the P-11- ON PAPER- I was not impressed. But once I held a PF9, I realized that there was a significant difference. The PF9 is 3 ounces lighter when loaded and an eigth of an inch thinner, enough to make a real difference in pocket carry. I have replaced my P-11 with a PF9 and find I can carry it in jeans and other pants where I could not carry the P-11. I hated to give up the extra rounds and the second strike capability of the P-11, but the PF9 is just so much easier to carry.

The trigger is significantly better- and I am happy with the P-11 trigger. Significantly easier to shoot at distance though up close in self defense, I doubt if there is any measureable difference. The sights on the Pf9 are better too, same front sight but much better rear sight.

If you don't plan pocket carry, then the advantages of the PF9 are greatly reduced. Not that much difference in IWB, none in outside the waist band. Then it is a contest of more rounds/second strike verses better trigger/sights.

If you plan to get a PF9, get one with a serial number of R4xxx or above. Current production is in the R6 range ( above 20,000 guns) .

hope this helps- conwic

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I like them both,...Plan on getting a pf9,...I really prefer the feel of it,and trigger is alot better.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

9mm needing a second strike is so minimal that I would not consider that a factor, for me the p-11 trigger just was too much to overcome, I switched out, but at 7 yards and under the p-11 works fine, I dont want to limit my engagement range because of my own insecurity/inability to shoot the p-11 at 15 plus yards, I choose to move away from it. This is an operator issue and if you can shoot a p-11 at 15 plus yards with its heavy recoil and less than friendly trigger you can shoot anything out there, I used to love that p-11 till I moved away from it, now it sits and collects dust in my safe. Having said that I tell anyone and everyone I can who asks why I dont like it, its the trigger, its the trigger, NEVER HAD RELIABILITY ISSUES, but several friends did when they limp wristed the p-11. One problem I did have with the p-11 was witht he kel tec 12 round mag I bought direct from kel tec, it would not feed consistantly so I went back to the 10 round mags.
    Also having said I dont like the trigger it is only fair to say that the gun performed as needed when my life was in danger, its just my opinion that there are better options out there, the pf-9 is one of them. xd9sc is another choice but its a heavy weapon and wider, my wife has one and I like it as far as a subcompact 9 goes, but mainly because my compact 9 experience was limited to the p-11, the kel tecs main advantage is its weight, either the pf-9 or the p-11 shine there, but you suffer the consequences when shooting, (im not worried about a sore hand if I compare the alternative) In short I think the main reason people say go with the pf-9 is the same reason I do, they dont like the p-11 trigger system, the pf-9 uses a similar trigger system as the p3at, which is a smoother shorter trigger pull. If you can go to the gun store and ask to compare side by side, put a bore sight laser system in the end of the barrel and ask to dry fire both, if that does not convince you the pf-9 is a better choice then get the p-11.

Have any of you tried to do some trigger work to make it shorter and lighter. I found a website that has steps to do it??

Trigger mods

i have a pf-9 and a p-11 i like both i also have a p-40 conversion so the p-11 can shoot 10 rounds of .40 S&W

The P11 has absolutely the worst trigger of any handgun I've ever owned or fired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links