For 1911 owners-Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II?

This is a discussion on For 1911 owners-Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ron JD, The Kimber web site shows both with a 7 round mag capacity. What am I missing? I see now after ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For 1911 owners-Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    JD,

The Kimber web site shows both with a 7 round mag capacity. What am I missing? I see now after you mentioned it that the frame on the compact is a bit smaller, seems like a smaller grip, but it is also heavier then the Pro Carry II. In your opinion, in a 1911 which is better for carry, smaller frame or lighter weight?

Ron
    Well this is going to sound crazy, but most 1911s with full frames ship with 8 round mags.

Originally, the full frame mags held seven, and the officers model only held 6.

With certain advances (pending on opinion) changes have been made to allow the same size mag to hold 8 in the full frame config. and 7 in the officers while still fitting flush with the bottom of the frame.

So while the Pro is listed as 7, that can be eight pending on mag type.

I thought, I may be wrong, that Kimber shipped the full size and Pro models with 8 round mags, but according to the website they don't.

Personally, I find all 1911s easy to conceal, I carry a 5" all steel model as my average carry gun.

I prefer the weight. When it comes to the officers frame guns, my hand just doesn't like the shorter frame.

When it comes to Kimbers naming, well they all function the same and come in the same sizes, only the appearance, and choice if frame materials change.

IE. An alloy Kimber CDP Compact is almost the exact same gun as a Pro Carry Compact

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well this is going to sound crazy, but most 1911s with full frames ship with 8 round mags.

Originally, the full frame mags held seven, and the officers model only held 6.

With certain advances (pending on opinion) changes have been made to allow the same size mag to hold 8 in the full frame config. and 7 in the officers while still fitting flush with the bottom of the frame.

So while the Pro is listed as 7, that can be eight pending on mag type.

I thought, I may be wrong, that Kimber shipped the full size and Pro models with 8 round mags, but according to the website they don't.
    OK, understood about the 7 against 8 round mags. Thanks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

JD
    Administrator
    You are correct in the bbl length of the Ulrta, Compact and Pro for Kimber.

Ultra = 3" bbl, officers frame
    Compact= 4" bbl., officers frame
    Pro= 4" bbl., full frame

The 5" models don't have any other suffix or prefix other than the model name.

The difference in weight from the Compact Stainless II and the Pro Carry II is due to the different frame material, the Compact has a stainless steel frame, while the Pro Carry has an alloy frame.

Regarding the 3" 1911, IMHO they do seem to have more problems than the larger guns, but the manufacturers seem to have thing under control.

As noted in my previous posts most problems with Kimber are due to people not following the 500 round break in. This goes for the 3" guns as well.

In the past there were lots of problems with the 3" gun design, but it looks like the number of success stories out weigh the horror stories.

However, you risk getting a lemon from any manufacturer, it just bites a lot more when you have an $800 lemon.

Regarding which is easier to conceal, it all depends on personal preference, as stated I like the all steel gun, UNLESS I'm using a shoulder holster.

I'll take the 5" over all others any day, with a true 4.25" bushinged Commander length as a close second, with a 4" bull bbl. as third option, and won't touch a 3" with a 10' pole unless it's a 9mm, I just don't like 3" 45s

I don't have a problem hiding a full frame, but that doesn't mean that you will, it all depends on how you carry it, in what you carry it, and how you cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You are correct in the bbl length of the Ulrta, Compact and Pro for Kimber.

Ultra = 3" bbl, officers frame
    Compact= 4" bbl., officers frame
    Pro= 4" bbl., full frame

The 5" models don't have any other suffix or prefix other than the model name.

The difference in weight from the Compact Stainless II and the Pro Carry II is due to the different frame material, the Compact has a stainless steel frame, while the Pro Carry has an alloy frame.

Regarding the 3" 1911, IMHO they do seem to have more problems than the larger guns, but the manufacturers seem to have thing under control.

As noted in my previous posts most problems with Kimber are due to people not following the 500 round break in. This goes for the 3" guns as well.

In the past there were lots of problems with the 3" gun design, but it looks like the number of success stories out weigh the horror stories.

However, you risk getting a lemon from any manufacturer, it just bites a lot more when you have an $800 lemon.

Regarding which is easier to conceal, it all depends on personal preference, as stated I like the all steel gun, UNLESS I'm using a shoulder holster.

I'll take the 5" over all others any day, with a true 4.25" bushinged Commander length as a close second, with a 4" bull bbl. as third option, and won't touch a 3" with a 10' pole unless it's a 9mm, I just don't like 3" 45s

I don't have a problem hiding a full frame, but that doesn't mean that you will, it all depends on how you carry it, in what you carry it, and how you cover it.
    Thanks, JD. That was very informative. I appreciate you taking the time to write this post.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Here's the photo of the Bobtailed Pro and the Compact. I find the Pro easier to hide than the Compact due to the bobtail, and it still provides a full length grip.

Thanks, Sarge. That was very helpful. Can I trouble you with a couple more questions. Since you own both the Compact and Pro Carry II, which do you suggest I get, bearing in mind that it will be a carry gun for me? And does it make much difference, in terms of reliability, if I get the black or stainless model? Lastly, do the 4 inch 1911 barrel models conceal well?

Thanks.

Ron
    Ron,

I like the ProCarry for the lighter weight and I like the Compact for the shorter grip. If you don't mind all steel (weight) the Compact is great. My favorite ? That's like choosing your favorite child !

Reliability isn't affected by finish so buy your fav with confidence. I prefer stainless for added corrosion resistance but the blued is fine with a little extra TLC.

Yes and no on the barrel. The barrel isn't really the issue for concealment to me. I find the grip length to make the bigger difference in ease of concealment. I have NO problem concealing either. Your quality of holster and belt are the makers or breakers, really.

Both are fantastic guns.

In my family we have a S&W 1911Sc, a full size Kimber Custom II, and a Pro Carry II. Not a problem with any of the three. They have all digested any factory or handload we have fed them without a hitch.

OD*
    I've been shooting the 1911 platform for awhile now and in my experience, if it takes 500 rounds to "break-in" a pistol, it ain't built right to begin with.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

And that right there is some real truth, OD.

"I had become interested in a 1911 resulting from a tactical training class I had recently attended, where many in the class shot a 1911"

They must have skipped the online research. How did they do?

i got a kimber desert warrior for christmas and i am up to 300 rounds with the factory mag and i have had 0 malfuntions
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

I carry a Pro Carry II and it's run flawless. I have not had a single gun related problem but as stated before get some good mags for it. I use KimPro Tac Mags or Wilson combat.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

AZ Husker,

How and/or where do you get the gun Bobtailed? Thanks.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by hayley View Post
    "I had become interested in a 1911 resulting from a tactical training class I had recently attended, where many in the class shot a 1911"

They must have skipped the online research. How did they do?
    I didn't keep track of all of them, but the ones I noticed shot well, although, interestingly enough, the 1911's had the most malfunctions. Maybe that should have told me something.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I've been shooting the 1911 platform for awhile now and in my experience, if it takes 500 rounds to "break-in" a pistol, it ain't built right to begin with.
    That was my initial impression since I never had that experience with any other gun I have owned.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

AZ Husker,

How and/or where do you get the gun Bobtailed? Thanks.

Ron
    A friend of mine is a machinist (Slydok, a member here) and he did it for me using the Ed Brown jig. Since it's stainless, no refinishing required. He also did the rebuild with Ed Brown internals, bobtail MSH, and beavertail. The golfball texure on the front and rear was done by Chuck Rogers. It has become an amazing carry piece. My first bobtail was a Brown Kobra Carry, and I fell in love with the design the first time I held it. Subsequently Chuck bobtailed and golfballed a full-size Colt S-70 repro. I was nervous about 'tailing a 5" gun, but it turned out flawless, and is just as easy to shoot.
    Tracy
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    A friend of mine is a machinist (Slydok, a member here) and he did it for me using the Ed Brown jig. Since it's stainless, no refinishing required. He also did the rebuild with Ed Brown internals, bobtail MSH, and beavertail. The golfball texure on the front and rear was done by Chuck Rogers. It has become an amazing carry piece. My first bobtail was a Brown Kobra Carry, and I fell in love with the design the first time I held it. Subsequently Chuck bobtailed and golfballed a full-size Colt S-70 repro. I was nervous about 'tailing a 5" gun, but it turned out flawless, and is just as easy to shoot.
    Tracy
    Thanks, Tracy. I will keep the information on file for possible future reference.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links