For 1911 owners-Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II?

This is a discussion on For 1911 owners-Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently started a thread where I indicated that I had become interested in a 1911 resulting from a tactical training class I had recently ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For 1911 owners-Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II?

I recently started a thread where I indicated that I had become interested in a 1911 resulting from a tactical training class I had recently attended, where many in the class shot a 1911, and seeking advice on what to consider buying. I got a lot of good feedback, which is appreciated.

This is a follow-up thread to that one. After doing a lot of research, on line, based on the advice given, my perception is that the 1911 Model in general is plagued with malfunction problems of one kind or another. It appears as though it is expected that the gun will not function properly out of the box and will have to be sent back to the factory for repair. My experience with other guns I have bought is that they have been good out of the box, with little, if any, malfunction problems.

So, one of my questions is whether my perception about the problems with the 1911 is correct? I would really love to buy a 1911, but not if it is going to cause me a lot of grief.

I am considering buying a Kimber Pro Carry II in black or stainless because it seems to be within my price range, and suitable for carry. I realize that the Compact and Pro Carry models are not top of the line Kimber models, and wonder whether I will be making a mistake?

Thanks.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

JD
    Administrator
    Kimber mandates a 500 round break in period per the users manual, most reported problems with Kimbers happen before the 500 round break in period is finished or is mag related due to the factory mags being garbage.

I think you are on the right track...

Ron,

In my opinion the issues with the 1911's have been manufacturers trying to "tighten them up" too much for target work. Having said that I will say there are some issues out there but the 1911 is one of the best selling guns on the market. They are very appealing to people.

I will say that I am a HUGE 1911 fan. I don't believe in adding a bunch of after-market junk to mine and doing all the "tuning" for target work. I'm more the out-of-the-box kinda owner. I have owned many 1911's over the years and the only problematic one I ever had was a Curtis Lemay .45 years and years ago. It ended up sold.

Right now I own (4) 1911's and two of those are Kimbers. The ProCarry II and the Compact along with the Colt Officers ACP and Springfield Armory Loaded. My Kimbers are the best shooting 1911's I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. They are a permanent part of my collection and I even carry them when I don't have the little M&P or Glock 27 deep concealed. I can HIGHLY recommend the Compact and ProCarry to you as viable options for a 1911. Here's an often seen pic of my 1911's for your viewing pleasure. Good luck with your choices !

Also wanted to add that Kimber does recommend a break-in period but mine have been 100% reliable all the way through. I only had one issue in my ProCarry and that was with a junk, aftermarket mag. It is gone and my ProCarry and Compact run like cadillacs ! I would suggest if you get the ProCarry, don't use standard split-follower type mags due to the alloy frame. I bought Wilson's (7-round for reliability). What a combo ! The Compact is ok with standard mags.

Last edited by Sarge45; February 3rd, 2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added reliability statement.

yep JDs got it. the main reason any kimber gets any bad talk is that they will misfunction during their break in period. mine did too. after 500 rounds its as reliable as can be.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    I own several Kimbers, 2 are the Pro Carry HD (1 in .45, the other .38super). Both are great shooters. The .45 had magazine issues when I got it & the fix was Wilson magazines.

The .45 gets carried regularly, my wife carries the super on occasion.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

My CDP II had two malfunctions early. I replaced the factory magazines with Wilson Combat mags and have not had a problem since.
    The more rounds through it, the better it seems to be.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

JD
    Administrator
    *Note*

I did say most issues, I've still had two Kimbers that had issues well after the 500 round mark and they did need a ton of work, but those were in .40...

I've had no issues with our Kimbers in .45.

Personal experience

I know that many people complain on these Internet chat sites about the 1911, but I can only comment on my personal experiences. I currently have 8 1911s in various barrel lengths, brands and calibers, and shoot them frequently. I got my first 1911 about 40 years ago, but have been seriously using them for about 17 years.

I have been quite happy with the functioning of my 1911s, which are mainly Colts with a sprinkling of other brands. It has been very unusual for me to have any problems with them. So I can't agree with these "blanket negative" statements about 1911 functionality.

Here are 3 of mine that work consistently:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    yep JDs got it. the main reason any kimber gets any bad talk is that they will misfunction during their break in period. mine did too. after 500 rounds its as reliable as can be.
    OK, let me see if I understand correctly what you and JD are saying. Are you saying that I can expect manfunction problems during the 500 round break in period, or only that if I experience problems it will likely be during that period?
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

JD
    Administrator
    Both, it's kind of 50/50. You may experience problems, you may not. One thing is for sure, you'll want to have some better mags on hand just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Ron,

In my opinion the issues with the 1911's have been manufacturers trying to "tighten them up" too much for target work. Having said that I will say there are some issues out there but the 1911 is one of the best selling guns on the market. They are very appealing to people.

I will say that I am a HUGE 1911 fan. I don't believe in adding a bunch of after-market junk to mine and doing all the "tuning" for target work. I'm more the out-of-the-box kinda owner. I have owned many 1911's over the years and the only problematic one I ever had was a Curtis Lemay .45 years and years ago. It ended up sold.

Right now I own (4) 1911's and two of those are Kimbers. The ProCarry II and the Compact along with the Colt Officers ACP and Springfield Armory Loaded. My Kimbers are the best shooting 1911's I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. They are a permanent part of my collection and I even carry them when I don't have the little M&P or Glock 27 deep concealed. I can HIGHLY recommend the Compact and ProCarry to you as viable options for a 1911. Here's an often seen pic of my 1911's for your viewing pleasure. Good luck with your choices !

Also wanted to add that Kimber does recommend a break-in period but mine have been 100% reliable all the way through. I only had one issue in my ProCarry and that was with a junk, aftermarket mag. It is gone and my ProCarry and Compact run like cadillacs ! I would suggest if you get the ProCarry, don't use standard split-follower type mags due to the alloy frame. I bought Wilson's (7-round for reliability). What a combo ! The Compact is ok with standard mags.

Thanks, Sarge. That was very helpful. Can I trouble you with a couple more questions. Since you own both the Compact and Pro Carry II, which do you suggest I get, bearing in mind that it will be a carry gun for me? And does it make much difference, in terms of reliability, if I get the black or stainless model? Lastly, do the 4 inch 1911 barrel models conceal well?

Thanks.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

JD
    Administrator
    I've had both the Pro and Compact CDPs, there's really no difference in functionality, they have the same length slides, just different frames.

The Compact is a bit easier to conceal, due to the officers sized frame (modeled after the Colt CCO), but you're loosing one piece of ammo, and when you're talking single stack .45s, I want all the cartrideges I can stuff in the mag.

Personally, I favor the Gov't length grip over the officers, but that's just me.

The CCO style (4.25" / 4" over an officers sized frame) is often considered the ideal configuration for carrying a 1911 concealed.

I really should have kept my Pre Series II CDP Compact.

However, I think it was AZHusker that posted a picture, of a bobtailed Kimber Pro next to a Compact, and the bobtail does make a big difference.

VIP Member
    Here is a side by side of a Kimber Ultra Carry & Pro Carry HD...

I usually conceal a full size 1911, so either of these are easier to hide. The Ultra is a 7+1, the Pro 8+1.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

The Compact is a bit easier to conceal, due to the officers sized frame (modeled after the Colt CCO), but you're loosing one piece of ammo, and when you're talking single stack .45s, I want all the cartrideges I can stuff in the mag.

Personally, I favor the Gov't length grip over the officers, but that's just me.

The CCO style (4.25" / 4" over an officers sized frame) is often considered the ideal configuration for carrying a 1911 concealed.
    JD,

The Kimber web site shows both with a 7 round mag capacity. What am I missing? I see now after you mentioned it that the frame on the compact is a bit smaller, seems like a smaller grip, but it is also heavier then the Pro Carry II. In your opinion, in a 1911 which is better for carry, smaller frame or lighter weight?

I just noticed that you are referring to the CDP models. I am looking at the basic compact and Pro Carry II Models.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Here is a side by side of a Kimber Ultra Carry & Pro Carry HD...

I usually conceal a full size 1911, so either of these are easier to hide. The Ultra is a 7+1, the Pro 8+1.
    The Ultra Carry has a three inch barrel, and the Pro carry a 4 inch barrel, correct? I was led to believe that the 3 inch 1911's are less reliable. Any truth to that?

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links