Ruger LCP vs. Kahr PM9?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP vs. Kahr PM9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This discussion was only inevitable. Might as well get it over with. "Best" choice for front pocket carry? I think I'd be getting the Ruger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. Kahr PM9?

Ruger LCP vs. Kahr PM9?

This discussion was only inevitable. Might as well get it over with. "Best" choice for front pocket carry?
    I think I'd be getting the Ruger if I didn't already have the Kahr.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Kind of hard to match them up seeing as how I don't think anyone has the Ruger LCP yet...

9mm vs. .380? I think that's an easy win for the 9mm.

As the LCP is wider than the P3AT, it doesn't seem like the currently abundant choices of P3 pocket holsters will work for the LCP, they could probably be stretched, but who knows until it can be tried.

Well, the Ruger will be smaller and much easier to carry, but at the expense of a lesser caliber.

Administrator
    Since the LCP isnt out yet, it would be more comfortable in my front pocket.

I still would choose the PM9 though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The only time I have an interest in pocket carry is in the winter when I'm likely to have my coat buttoned. An overcoat pocket will accomodate a lot of guns comfortably. I can see a .380 as a LE backup or deep cover gun. I wouldn't be real happy with a .380 as a main gun when I could just as easily have a 9.

It seems to me that since the Kel-Tec .380 is already available and you chose to carry the PM9, you have already answered your own question. After all, we don't yet know that the new Ruger is any better than the Kel-Tec. We do know that it isn't smaller or lighter. It can be an improvement only if it has a better trigger and is more reliable.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I had a bad experiance early on with ruger handguns ( shot a prototype p85 i never forgave them for ) . I cannot comment good on them so i will refrain from further .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I would be interested. I am looking for a pocket pistol other than a Kel-Tec.

It is enough smaller than my PPK/S that it will actually fit in a front pants pocket, and it is light enough that it is practical for an ankle holster. This looks like a Carry a lot, shoot a little sort of gun.

It is competition for the Kel-Tec, NAA, and Secamp market. I've seen several Kel-Tec's malfunction at the local range that I'd be reluctant to buy one. I've gone to the store to do that twice and left with out buying one.

This one, being from Ruger, just might get the card out of the wallet.

I'd have to shoot one first though.

I've shot a PM9, did not like it much, and it is too big for my pocket. Other folks have them and love them. Probably it's just me. Kahr makes a good product. I need to shoot an MK9 once.

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    As the LCP is wider than the P3AT ...
    0.05" wider, only. Otherwise, it's shorter, marginally taller, and still under 10oz. If they have built in the rugged Ruger reliability and durability, they might have something for those who doubt KelTec's ability in a fight. It's still .380, but then it would be a Ruger.

I, too, would prefer 9mm over .380, if I could find a highly reliable alternative. The Kahr PM9 is about the max size (IMO) for pocket carry. Bigger than the KelTec PF9 and the Rohrbaugh, but still pocket sized. Had one, but couldn't get it to go. So, it had to go. Too bad, as it would have been a good companion to the CZ P01 9mm. Still mulling. And while I'm doing that, the P3AT's still the go-everywhere and backup unit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a Kahr P9. It is flawless. If the Pm9 is somewhat similar I can not imagine anything better.

Having several Ruger revolvers, rifles, and a P89 that I gave to a step-son, I'd take the Ruger. They are built like a tank and go bang when the trigger is pulled. It's nice to see Ruger actually making a small pistol. I'm betting that it's a major seller for them.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    It can be an improvement only if it has a better trigger and is more reliable.
    Another improvement, although funky, is a manually activated slide lock.

I appreciate all of your opinions on the ongoing decision of what handguns to own. The conclusion is that there are lots of great choices. Based on all of my research I have concluded (as of today) the following:
    Currently have: Beretta PX4 Storm 40 for my basic handgun. Browning Buckmark Camper for plinking and varmit shooting. Will acquire: PX4 Storm sub-compact in either 9mm or 40(if available) for basic CCW. Ruger LCP .380 for pocket or deep carry when clothing requires. I would also consider a Taurus "judge" for use on the farm. I would appreaciate your reaction to each of these selections for the noted usage.

EW3
    IMO, you are trying to compare apples and oranges there.

A better comparison would be to contrast the LCP vs:

1. Kel-Tec P3AT, which it looks like a much better copy of
    2. NAA Guardian .380, a great little pocket .380, but heavy for its' size
    3. Seecamp LWS .380, very similar to the NAA

I've owned #1 and #2, and have put an order in for an LCP. I saw some hi-res pics of it from the SHOT show, and it looks like the fit & finish are way ahead of the Kel-Tec.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

PM9. Mine has been great but maybe I'm just lucky? It's certainly not a range gun due to somewhat snappy recoil but once you get used to it, it's decent. It takes some practice and concentration to shoot it and be good with the PM9 but it provides for some excellent practice. When you go back to your plinking/range gun, you'll appreciate it.

Seriously, IMHO it is one of the best CCW handguns around if you're looking for concealability and comfort. The 6+1 capacity may seem inadequate but the 7+1 mag is easily carried in your back pocket.

VIP Member
    If the new little Ruger is what it's cracked up to be it's going to be a hot seller! My first response to it was it's a .380, too small. Now, I'm already planning on waiting just long enough to see if it's solid weapon and then get one for a BUG to use in my SmartCarry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links