Defensive Carry banner

Your Advice Solicited of Rebarreling a .45

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  frankmako 
#1 ·
The barrel on my old Commander is shot out. I can't complain. It has forty years of use. I still carry it frequently and it will still do the job if I do my part. But the accuracy is gone. And at 25 yards there is evidence of keyholes.

So I am thinking of sending the gun to Bar-Sto and having it rebarrelled. Do any of you have any first hand knowledge of the Bar-Sto performance? Is there a better option?

#5 ·
I would just buy any aftermarket and put it in myself.

First check the muzzle crown to make sure it isnt dinged up. I've seen a few that got dropped that the accuracy dropped to nil on. A cleanup of the crown was all it took to get it back to original.

If you've shot it alot though, it may just be tired and worn out.

#6 ·
If you've shot it enough to wear out the barrel, it may be worth the money to take it to a gunsmith who specializes in 1911s to have it checked over while you get a new barrel installed. They're tough guns, but everything wears out eventually. Better to do preventative maintenance than have it fail when you really need it.

#7 ·
You could order either of these two barrels from Brownell's.

The Storm Lake or the Ed Brown.
Both are pre-fit "drop in" but may or may not require minor fitting. Usually not and both are excellent barrels.
1911 AUTO DROP-IN MATCH BARRELS at Brownells

1911 AUTO PRE-FIT BARREL KIT at Brownells

Even "dropped in" both will be fit better than a factory Colt.

Actually since it's Brownell's. Order them both.
Try dropping both into your Commander.
Simply return the other one for a satisfaction guaranteed refund.
Just tell them when you call - I'll be buying both of these but, I intend to return one or the other.

They will say: NO PROBLEM! That Fine! Even if neither fit...return them both. No Hassle.

Or if by some chance the one you like requires minor fitting & you feel that you can't do it.
Then take your gun and the one barrel you like the most to a decent local smith and have him do the minor fitting.
If anything only minor fitting to the barrel hood would be needed.

#9 ·
i got a bar sto and it is good. i did the work myself. but i would look at kkm and/or efk. they both make great match grade barrels. i got both in different cals. they are drop ins and are the best going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.