Glock 26 grip extension

This is a discussion on Glock 26 grip extension within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I already own a Glock 17 and G19 and I am considering purchasing one of Glockís Subcompacts. I really like 9 mm therefore, Iím considering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 grip extension

Glock 26 grip extension

I already own a Glock 17 and G19 and I am considering purchasing one of Glockís Subcompacts.

I really like 9 mm therefore, Iím considering the G26. However, I donít like the handle being as short as it is, but I understand they now offer an grip extension that allows it to hold 11 rounds instead of 10, and it should fit my hand better.

My questions are:

Does anyone have any experience with the grip extension?
    Does the grip extension weaken the spring, therefore interfering with rounds cycle normally?
    Does the grip extension allow the G26 to point shoot like it should?

Last question:

The reason Iím thinking of changing is most of the time when I go to the range I find myself practicing with the G17, and therefore I am currently most familiar with Glockís trigger system.

However, due to itís concealability Iíve carried the Walther PPKs 380 for over 20-years, but I fear that in an emergency situation I may forget to take the safety off.

So Iím thinking I need a smaller Glock that will fit in my motorcycle jacket pocket like the Walter does.

Whatís your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I carry a G26 and don't like the extensions. I have a larger Glock but bought the G26 for one reason... small size. I personally don't see the need to add anthing to it. I shoot great with it and the grip doesn't bother me at all. I would suggest getting it and shooting a bit before you decided to jump right in and start making it larger than it needs to be. Just me opinion.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I own a G27 and carry w/o extension. Once you get use to shooting w/o the extension, there really is no issue with controllability, even when shooting .40. Aside from that, when you add the extension, the grip is nearly as long as the G23. I carry with an IWB holster at 4:00 and feel that the grip extension makes printing more of an issue b/c the pointed portion sticks out farther. If you're heavier, this may not be as much of an issue. As far as the clips go, I have noticed no issues with mine that do have the +1 Pearce extensions. I have read that you want to add the extension before using a new clip. There have been feeding issues posted on other forums when an extension was added to a used clip. So, my advice is try before you buy or stick with a G23 or G19.

Why buy a deliberately built shorter framed gun then just add length back on?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I carry a G26 from time to time and do so without the finger extension.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I agree with the others. I carry a G27 in the summer. I don't need the extensions to make it comfortable to shoot.

Another issue is reliability. The Pierce and GLOCK extensions tend to pop off unxepectedly (we call this the 'speed unload'). The GLOCK extensions are particularly prone to this. The +0 extensions seem to be fine and very rugged, but the +2 or higher extensions will bite you eventually.

If it's a real issue, I'd advise you to use mags for a G19 or G17. They even make spacers for those mags to makes them more 'grip like', but they also make the mags bulky to carry.

For what it's worth,
    HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

My primary carry gun is the G26 with the extension. Contrary to popular belief the extension doesn't make a difference in the concealability of the weapon because it tapers. The extensions are pretty cheap -- try one for yourself.

As far as how it points -- it points like a G19.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Lots of bullets means lots of chances to make use of expert marksmanship skills" --- Gecko45

"Some people ask: shoot to maim, or shoot to kill? I say, empty the chamber and let the good Lord decide." - Deputy Garcia (Reno 911)

Administrator
    I dont see the point in an extension. If you want a longer grip, get a 19.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont see the point in an extension. If you want a longer grip, get a 19.
    My thoughts exactly.

10 points for Sixto.

However, as the OP is looking for a pocket gun, why make the gun bigger?

I could go either direction on the issue. I have the magazine grip finger extension on all of my G27 magazines. The one depicted here:

I have shot my sub compact both ways---with and without the grip enhancement. Without, my pinky finger just curls up and rests on the bottom of the flat magazine base tightly. With the enhancement, point of aim is not changed far as I'm concerned, and it doesn't necessarily mean I have to load ten rounds in the mag just because I can. I also have a couple G23 magazines with the adapters that I'll use once in a while, and since I'll normally carry the G27 IWB on strong side, or SOB---any difference in concealability is not much of a factor for me. I suggest you try the finger extensions (sold in pairs usually) at the range to ease your own mind about 'functionality'. IMO-if you carry an extra mag on you anyway-I see no need in testing with that extra capacity and stick with the originally designed round count of the magazine. This is not a permanent modification, and you can always go back to the original flat base pads. You could also have two with the extension, and more without. I have six mags total for my G27. Opinions are always good, but when there are somewhat equal pros and cons from the masses-----it just makes sense to try it out yourself. I've never had a well designed base pad 'eject' itself from the bottom of a mag. Install them properly and you shouldn't have any issues. Good luck.

I have a G22, G23 and G27 (see avatar). I added the +0 Pearce extension to the G27after I tried it without. The G27 is lighter and has a smaller profile than the G23. It all comes down to personal preference.

I vote for the +0 Pearce pinky extension. It does not add room for another round, but does give just enough for your other finger to ride on. I think they run around $6 - $7. It is not like mag extensions - give it a try. If you don't like it you have only invested a few bucks - and you can re-gift it to someone.

You could also try out the concealable control deal. I've never used it but I've heard good things about it from others. The guys on glocktalk seem to really like it.

T A C T I C A L A D V A N T A G E
    ďThey who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or securityĒ Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tns0038, if I understand your question correctly, it looks like you want to carry the G26 in your bike jacket pocket and shoot at the range like your G17. If this is correct, look into a A&G grip extension it slips over a G17 magazine filling the void when used in a G26. Therefore, you have the same amount of grip as your G17 when at the range. You have no concerns shooting the high capacity mags out of the G26. Shoot Straight.... Moondo

I have the 26 and carried it with the Glock OEM +2 extensions. I liked the extra controllability it gave me. But, after a while I decided that it didn't really make much sense so i got the 19. Same length grip and more sight radius.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links