Range Report

This is a discussion on Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went to the range and rented a few guns. A Springfield XD-9, a Glock 23, and a Ruger ___(don't remember). The XD and ...

Thread: Range Report

Range Report

So I went to the range and rented a few guns. A Springfield XD-9, a Glock 23, and a Ruger ___(don't remember). The XD and the Glock shot nice and I liked them both; but the more I handled them the more I didn't care much for the Glock. The mag release was not ambidextrous(sp?) and I felt awkward when I tried to release it. The Ruger just didn't "do it" for me, so... sorry Ruger. I think the winner right now is the XD. It felt good, shot well, and although it isn't much, I do like the idea of the safety on the grip. I didn't want anything where I would have to remember to disengage (like a trigger safety); but I do like the idea though of having just a little extra back-up, just in case. I know when I'm trap shooting/hunting it seems to have become second nature for me to raise the gun, disengage the safety, and then fire without thinking about it. BUT I have missed a bird or two because I didn't, and I'm not under any pressure or have the fight/flight stimulus and adrenaline kicked in. At first I thought not having an external safety was nuts, but after reading a number of posts, reflecting on my own experiences, and the birds I've missed, if the time ever comes, the external safety may be a regret. Let me know what you guys think about that, and any thoughts you have on the XD. Also, the XD is shot had the 5" barrel, this seemed a little big for a CC gun, I believe they have a 4" and a sub-compact models that might be more suitable. Any thoughts on that as well would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    bm

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Now that's how you make a choice, trying them for yourself. Coming from a die-hard Glock guy, the XD is a fine pistol that should serve you well. The XD, Glock and M&P type pistols have the easiest learning curve when it comes to draw and fire. Releasing manual safeties during the draw needs to be instilled through repetition and training. Once it's done, you'd find yourself swiping the safety off during the draw no matter what weapon your carrying.

Welcome from St. Louis. Glad you like the XD. I got one for many of the same reasons you mentioned: I don't want a safety I have to turn on/turn off, but I also appreciate the grip safety since I carry in the groin area. I've never grabbed the gun to fire where it wouldn't fire because I did not engage the grip safety. It's like the grip safety is not even there.

Concerning your thoughts on gun length for CC, all I can do is guess about the 5" because I've never carried a 5". It stands to reason that the 4" and the 3" will be easier to conceal, although the most difficult part of concealing will be the grip. I went with the subcompact 9, so I have the option of a small grip or the regular grip just by changing a magazine. I highly recommend the subcompact if you buy the 9mm or the .40, and I also recommend the compact if you buy the .45 (I'll be buying the .45 compact soon).

I have a friend who has the service 9 (4" barrel) and I shoot it about the same as I shoot my 3". For me, the extra inch of barrel wasn't worth it. The 3" subcompact is so easy to conceal.

I don't know if you are interested in the .40 or not. If not, disregard this, but if you might be, I read of a drop-in 9mm barrel that will fit the .40. I think it cost just under $200. You can drop a 9mm barrel into a .40, but you can't drop a .40 into a 9, if I read the instructions accurately. That's if you want to shoot two different calibers without buying another gun.

Whichever caliber you choose, I think you will be happy with it. I don't think the XD is a pretty gun, but I didn't buy it to look pretty. It's a combat weapon, and IMO it performs its job well.

I plan to put some night sights on mine eventually, probably after I get another one, but other than that, I'm very happy with it.

You know it's hard to stop at one, right?

I carry an XD40 Subcompact and it's a great gun...fun to shoot, accurate, and it conceals very well with a good holster.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

yep. when it comes to that style gun i would pick the XD any day
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

kpw, I agree that turning the safety on/off should be instilled through repetition and training, and become second nature. That being said, I shoot trap 1-2 times a week, and although it doesn't happen often, there are times I forget to release the safety. Poor training and practice on my part, maybe. But I'd rather it happen when I'm shooting at a clay bird, and not when my life may depend on it.
    Grady, I agree. It's not steel and wood, but we're not looking to win a beauty contest either. I'll be checking out the subcompacts and the 4", when I can hit some more stores, most the local guys are closed on Monday.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    kpw, I agree that turning the safety on/off should be instilled through repetition and training, and become second nature. That being said, I shoot trap 1-2 times a week, and although it doesn't happen often, there are times I forget to release the safety. Poor training and practice on my part, maybe. But I'd rather it happen when I'm shooting at a clay bird, and not when my life may depend on it.
    Exactly, that's the good part of an XD design, you don't have to "remember" the safety.

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    Grady... I'll be checking out the subcompacts and the 4", when I can hit some more stores, most the local guys are closed on Monday.
    If you don't find what you're looking for, maybe we can meet for lunch or after work and you can take a look at my subcompact. If my coworker comes to work (flu this weekend), he'll likely trade me his service for my BUG for a night and you could take a look at his XD also, if you're interested. I work near Chesterfield and live not far from the Blanchette Bridge.

I'd be more than happy to help spread the XD addiction.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    First let me say that the XD is a fine weapon. I would love to have one in my collection. That being said... I was in the same position you are now. I don't care for the Glock grip angle so I checked out the XD's and the M&P's. I like both and both performed admirably, but the M&P just felt better in my hand.

Do a little research into both guns and then just stick a M&P in your hand and see what you think. You be the judge. You will not make a bad choice either way.

My finger is my safety.

Here's mine.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Links