1911 vs revolver

This is a discussion on 1911 vs revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im new to this forum and new to ccw i would like to know which is better a 1911 style pistol or a revolver this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs revolver

1911 vs revolver

im new to this forum and new to ccw

i would like to know which is better a 1911 style pistol or a revolver
    this would greatly help in making my decision for my first carry gun

also pics of some of your daily carry guns would also be helpfull

also how you ccw your gun would also be helpfull

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Which is better? I think it is a question of which is best suited for you. Pros and cons to both guns. I tend to favor autos due to higher capacity, easier reloading and slimmer proflie than a revo.
    I can handle either type gun , as I trained on revos. some others like revos better because of ease of use firing(no safety),no slide to manipulate, or they can just shoot them better than autos.
    Try both as find what works for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

1911 vs. revo was well answered by Rocky. A quick search will find a lot of stated opinions.

You will find a lot of posts of pictures of CC guns, just look in the Concealed Carry Gun forum : http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-carry-guns/

There is a great thread running with a lot of pictures on CC methods:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...concealed.html
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!

I'd have to agree with Rocky too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

which is better. apples or oranges?

personally i like semiautos more than revolvers, simply because i shoot them a lot better and thats what i started out on.
    out of the semiautos yea i like the 1911 the best. i love the trigger, i shoot them well, and i can conceal them great.
    i personally carry a kimber ultra aegis II. its a 3" 9mm 1911. (see my pic on left)

it all depends on what you are looking for in a gun and what you shoot well
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

It's all personal opinion ....hey I got an idea !!! Buy both because a revo is good in some situations or type of carry where a auto would work better in others ????? just a thought.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    which is better. apples or oranges?
    How can you even compare? Oranges. Obviously.

In all seriousness though, I have to agree with 45MINK. In my limited experience with big bore revolvers, I shoot them as well without training as I shoot auto-loaders with training (but I haven't tried speed reloads or basic handgun courses with a revolver). I have a 1911, and plan to own a revolver by the end of the year (probably a snub-nosed, but I doubt it would be my primary carry regardless).

Get out to a range that lets you rent handguns and try them both. You may find yourself considerably more comfortable with one or the other.

-B

I started shooting and carrying back in the 80's. I've shot and carried revolvers and autoloaders since then, still do today in fact.

For work it's an autoloader. On my own time I can most often be found with a pair of revolvers. One is a "full size" gun the other a "snubbie". Each weapon type has it's pluses and minuses.

All handguns are defensive weapons, and poor ones at that IMHO. Some are just "less poor" than others. What I notice about 1911 and revolver shooters is, they tend to hit what they aim at. The "Hi-Cap" crowd tends to point the gun in the general direction of the target and proceed to unleash a "hail of bullets" in the general direction of the target.

I realize the above is a "generalization" and doesn't apply to everyone. Heck, I carry a "Hi-Cap" and still manage to hit what I aim at, but I'm used to only having 5-7 rounds before needing to reload. Just remember, there is no one gun that is perfect for every situation. Having had to "clear leather" more than once I will say that for myself, I do not want anything other than a "Point and Shoot" type handgun. I used to carry a 1911 quite frequently, not anymore. Now that's just me, you may be different.

You will find the J-Frame "snubbie" easier to hide and carry than any 1911, especially an Airweight like the 642/442. However, you will probably find the 1911 easier to shoot well. The Double Action Trigger on a revolver is harder to "master" than a Single Action 1911 or even a Glock. It is also simpler to operate a revolver at 0300 HOURS when you hear a "bump in the night", but you will have less rounds at your disposal before needing to reload.

Everyone makes a big deal about "ammo capacity". IMHO this is a "moot point". Tactics are what wins gunfights. Badguys tend to "beat feet" when a civilian starts proving that their victim selection process was faulty. Study tactics, and get some good training and "ammo capacity" won't be as much of a concern.

In short, what is better? Niether one, they both have their pluses and minuses. I hope that helps.

Biker

kpw
    Not real sure on the which is better thing but I do wish I could shoot my pistols as accurately as I can shoot a K/L frame Smith with a nice, smooth trigger. If that were the only deciding factor, there is no doubt that I'd be carrying a 4" Md 19/66. Look at the pros and cons and choose for yourself.

Like all the above I have to agree that it all comes down to what works best in your hands. Have you tried firing both? Does one "feel" more natural to aim and fire for you? That difference should point you in the direction of a first carry gun.

One thing to remember whatever you get is train, train, train. Draw and dry fire a lot. You want your moves to be instinctive. Especially if you go the auto route! I've been shooting a 1911 long enough that when I pick up another gun at the range my thumb is looking for the manual safety from pure habit, that's a good thing. On a gun not equipped with one it seems strange but it's still better than having to think about it each time.

I also carry a snubbie at times. Very different gun and one which takes plenty of practice to shoot well. It's plusses are worth the effort though. They conceal and carry well and there are a multitude of ways to conceal them. Sometimes I carry both. Other times I think a second revolver would be nice! Don't be surprised when you just find yourself always thinking about one more gun for the collection.

BTW welcome to the club!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Both have merits

Quote Originally Posted by mloy2 View Post
    I would like to know which is better, a 1911 style pistol or a revolver - this would greatly help in making my decision for my first carry gun
    mloy2 - I notice that your avatar is a nice looking S&W model 66 snubby. If that is your gun, it is a pretty good choice for a carry gun.

I have both 1911s and a model 66 like yours, and have carried both. Each one has its pros and cons. But the model 66 is simple, reliable and fires a significant caliber. It also conceals a lot easier than you would think, due to its curved lines and narrow barrel and grip.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mloy2 View Post
    im new to this forum and new to ccw

i would like to know which is better a 1911 style pistol or a revolver
    this would greatly help in making my decision for my first carry gun

also pics of some of your daily carry guns would also be helpfull

also how you ccw your gun would also be helpfull
    Welcome to the forum, and you've come to the right place and have gotten good "straight shootin" info. Not too much for me to add.

I think it depends a great deal on how much current handgun skills you have now and how much time you can spare to train. Simply put autos are a bit more complicated than revolvers. You'll find that the choice of handguns, calibers, holsters, and how you carry ALL have trade-offs, so you have to pick what works best for you. Personally I cc a G27 in a belly band or pocket carry it, and that works for me pretty well, but wouldn't work for someone else.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I suppose I like carrying revolvers best of all as that's what I generally have with me. Do like the 1911 but used to carry it more often than I now do. Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers do it for me. The 1911...well, gotta throw in the Hi-Power are very acceptable choices in automatic pistols in my view.

Kind of hard to really compare them. I reccommend that you shoot both types and decide on which you like best.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Yep, I agree the choice is too personal to be made by even a group of "educated" others. I carry a full size 1911 IWB at about 4:00, but I also shoot competition with the same gun, and spend alot of time with it in my hand, practice etc. My father just bought a nice little S&W model 60 which he likes, and wouldn't carry a semi-auto on a bet.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links