Defensive Carry banner

Range Report

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  firefighter4884 
#1 ·
So...I got my pistols last week, and everyone kept asking me to post my range results. I finally got the the range today.

I was at Targetmaster in Delaware County PA. Very very nice range...and they'll let you do holster work, after you clear it with the range officer. Ammo isn't too bad, and you can rent different pistols and rifles, including some full auto stuff :).

Anyway, I took my USPc in .40 and my Ruger 22/45 Mrk. III. My buddy, who's not sure what he wants to purchase yet rented an XD 40 Subcompact (he thinks he wants a glock 27...) and then a S&W 1911 .45 :)

I also had my NS put on my USPc. So while I was waiting for that to happen, I was breaking in the Ruger. I put about 50 rounds through it before the USP showed up from the armorer :) I was having minor issues with the magazines feeding reliably into the Ruger, the round was getting caught between the bolt and the bottom of the ramp into the chamber. Not sure what's causing it, but I think it might have been a magazine problem. I'm going to work my way through it tomorrow.

The 22/45 is a single action semi automatic. I got mine with the 5.5" stainless bull barrel. The pistols is not quite a tack driver, but it is definately much much more accurate then I'll ever be. Shooting it was such a pleasure. Groups tended towards 3 to 4" freehand at 10 or 15 yrds. That's me, it's definately not the gun.

After my friend got done putting 100 rounds through the XD, he put about 100 through the 22. He loved it so much he's decided he's buying one whenever he buys his full size too. That's a pretty good endorsement huh?

I purchased two boxes of Remington ball ammo for the USP. Put all 100 rounds downrange with no failures of any kind. The USP is not as accurate as the Ruger, but I would expect that. The barrel is just over half the length of the Rugers, and it's built to be a service pistol, and not a target pistol.

Despite that, the groups were decent, and very repeatable, however I think my sites aren't lined up quite right, so I'm going to spend some time this week at the local range working to get them set up correctly. (IE, shooting from rest and stuff...)

I'm very pleased with both, and wish that I could CCW legally. As it is, I'm planning on ordering a Fobus Holster later this week, along with a mag carrier for around the house.

:)

--Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
No dont get a Fobus.. yuck there junk

The usp will start grouping better the more you shoot mine did anyways .

Course after my exp with a 1911sc Smith cant reccomend them either

On the issues of the 22/45 feed problems lube up the bolt a little more and that usually solves it.. If that dont switch ammo.

Stay away from Winchester xpert had super bad problems with Leading same with Winchester Dynapoints

Golden Sabers from remington are good but most people i know have misfire issues i have to al least 30-40 a 550 box

For my money the Federal lightings are the best Shoot the cleanest and no lead at all.

#3 ·
Agree with Bud on the Win Expert - yuk! I shoot steel plates with Fed Champion - very reliable and $10 a brick from K-Mart.

One very good move IMO - for 22/45 - and MkII's - fit a Volquartson extractor - it is just a tad longer and sharper - seems to help a huge lot. And yeah - keep bolt/slide well lubed but - because of that expect crud to build so - clean from time to time - particularly bolt face and chamber area - that slot where extractor claw comes to rest is good at getting full of crud.

USP will/should benefit from much shooting tho - yeah - shoot from rest and get sights closer to what you want.

Thc for report Jim - all in all - good result eh! :smile:

#4 ·
Chris

Definately very very happy with both of them :) I think the Ruger might have been mag problems, not ammo. Every round I had went off without fail, after I got them loaded.

I think the problems were happening with one of the mags, but not the other, going to work on eliminating that stuff tomorrow.

Other then the work I have to do, I'm very happy with both of them.

Bug, I'm getting the Fobus, not for carry (NJ it's almost impossible to get a CCW permit), at least not carry outside my house. I'm looking to get a custom set of gun leather sometime around Christmas time, but I'm not sure, at least not sure of a time frame.

When I get the custom leather, I'm looking to get an IWB and an OWB for the USPc, probably with the OWB first, because I'm not allowed to carry in NJ :(.

--Jim

#5 ·
Jim, re 22 - if you can - measure across feed lips on ''good'' mag and then compare with the other - sometimes just a very few thou can make a difference. Small and careful tweak with needle nose pliers can put that right. make sure too follower is real free to move along whole travel.

True tho too - if slide/bolt is inadequately lubed (don't over do lube tho!) then sometimes round won't go quite finally into battery. You'll soon get used to that all and it'll be better probably after another coupla bricks shot thru too :smile:

#6 ·
Going to a different (Smaller) range tomorrow. Hopefully more family feel, less like business...ie...

Hopefully gonna put a full brick down range w/ the 22 tomorrow as well as site in the USP.

#7 ·
firefighter4884 said:
Not sure what's causing it, but I think it might have been a magazine problem. I'm going to work my way through it tomorrow.

Lots of times .22's need to be broke in, and are really ammo sensitive. Buy some diffrent brands and see what cycles the best thru your gun.

The USP should be plenty accurate once ya get it broke in too. Glad ya enjoy your new guns, thanks for the range report.

#8 ·
Sorry P95, but IMO advising a new shooter to take pliers to a new magazine is silly. Not trying to be contentious, but......

If you are smart, you will ignore the advise concerning pliers and magazine. If the gun is new, and mag is the problem, Ruger will take care of it, if used, selling dealer should take care of it.

On the H&K, let an experienced shooter check the sights to be sure it is the sights, not the shooter. It could be something you do not know you are doing, that is easy to correct.

#9 ·
KC point taken - I mention that as an engineer with some experience in metal work but for sure, it would not necessarily be way to go for all. I am after all referring to adjustments of odd thou or two.

For sure, if a mag can be returned for tweaking or substitution so much the better.

Probably wise you pointed that out - it would not be way to go for many, tho I do it and have done it.

#10 ·
KC...

I'm going to ask the owner / armorer at the local range loose on the sites, see if he can get them lined up so that I know it's me and not the sites.

As far as modifying the Ruger mag, it's something that I probably could do, but I'm going to try the mags again at the range, see if I can determine that it definately is the magazine.

I'll contact Ruger about the mag, but the fix is actually something I could handle (I am studying to be a mechanical engineer, and do play with metal and tools :)

--Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.