Ruger sp101 iwb?

This is a discussion on Ruger sp101 iwb? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone out there daily carry a ruger sp101 iwb? I am looking into a new edc and kinda want an old school revolver. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger sp101 iwb?

Ruger sp101 iwb?

Does anyone out there daily carry a ruger sp101 iwb? I am looking into a new edc and kinda want an old school revolver. I don't like pocket carry, and am seriously considering a ruger sp101. Most threads on here talk about 1911s, and bottom feeders, not too many iwb revolvers. Does anyone out there carry an sp101 iwb, and if so, how does it conceal, and what holster do you use? I am torn between an sp101, sig 239 and an xd sub. I am leanng more toward the revolver, and just want some input, both for and against, from the revolver people out there.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My daily carry is an SP101 for the past 10 years or so. I'm a big guy and the weight doesn't bug me. My holster is a simple soft leather IWB with one clip. All of the gun is covered except the grip.

The gun itself is great. It is accurate and packs a good SD round.

Drawbacks... It is wider that most other carry guns and only has 5 rounds. I haven't fired the Sig or a sub XD (just a full size .40).
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I carry a Smith and Wesson Model 642 every day, mostly IWB in a holster I made or in my right front pocket.

I looked at Rugers and found them to be too heavy for what I wanted, i.e. a gun with no excuse to leave it home.

Any reputable holster maker will make you an IWB for the SP101. I am fond of Kydex for stainless guns, and now make my own.

Depending on your body size/shape you will have no problems whatsoever concealing a small revolver in just about any holster either IWB or OWB. Ruger's are just "healthy" small revolvers.

Central NC? Do you ever get to the Tidewater area of VA? I would make you a holster to your spec for the cost of materials if you can get me the gun. It'll only take an hour or so to make but would have to be on a weekend.

CPTD

Thanks for the info. I am currently "shopping" for my new edc. Went to a gun show last weekend and was fondling a ported sp101. I shot one a while back, non-ported, and remembered how enjoyable a revolver is to shoot. I am buying a new edc in the next month or so, and am slowly whittling the prospects down. I went from 10 or so possibilities down to the 3 I mentioned. I like the extra rounds of the semi autos, but a good revolver, some moon clips and lots of practice, and I doubt I would feel under-armed. I actually like a heavier weighted gun. I am currently carrying a full stainless mk40, I doubt the ruger would be much heavier if at all. The 101s are very nice revolvers and have no trouble standing up next to s&w when it comes to quality wheel-guns. Unfortunatley it seems revolver users are way outnumbered compared to the semi guys, and I need help in my decision, lol.

CPTD,
    I am in south central NC but really don't get up to VA much at all, thanks for the offer though.

It's my BUG with the 2 1/4 inch barrel in 357. I pocket carry in a Galco pocket holster.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

SP101 in 357 w/2-1/4 bbl, usually in a HighNoon Split Decision IWB/tuckable (or a couple other holsters depending on wardrobe/occasion). No problems with concealing with a good holster. Maybe a little heavy for pocket carry, but I've carried that way, too. Goes bang when you pull the trigger, and the SP101is heavy enough to dampen recoil for follow-up. I don't feel under-gunned even with 5 shots, though as an old sheriff once said "If I knew for sure there'd be trouble, I'd bring along a shotgun".

I carry an SP101 in .357 magnum IWB in a DM Bullard Leather "Dual Conceal Carry" everyday that dress allows. When it doesn't, a 642-1 in the pocket takes over SD duties.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I don't carry it all the time now but I do carry the 3" version of this weapon in an IWB holster I bought from AKJ Concealco leather. Since the cylinder creates enough thickness, I didn't want anything more between the belt and gun. Some IWB holsters build in a strip of metal in the mouth of the holster to keep it open for one handed re-holstering. I personally would avoid that! I've had holsters like that but that band at the mouth of the holster was thicker than it appears and made the total package uncomfortably larger than any semi. The Concealco holster still allows for one-handed re-holstering but in a different way. It's comfortable, has adjustable cant, and was affordable with only a 4 week delivery period.

I would avoid any porting on an SP101 for defensive use. I love mine and replaced the main spring with a spring I bought off the internet. Took 5 minutes to change and make the trigger pull a lot better.

A company called Gemini Customs makes some front sights for the SP101 called Wonder Sights. They can be red or green fiber optic, gold bead, or a night sight. I believe these are wonderful additions.

The 2" will conceal just the tiniest bit better than the 3" version but I personally like the balance/feel of the 3".

Having said all of this, you can buy a lot of other weapons that will conceal easier, give you more rounds, and reload faster. All very important considerations, however, I for one feel that a 5 shot SP101 is fine for most CCW needs provided you practice with it and are proficient with it to include reloading with speed strips or reloaders.

I think forums on Concealed Carry tend to draw folks who feel more comfortable with higher capacity and I know that crimes with multiple perps are on the rise but I still think the 5 shot snub is going to be more than adequate for most civilian encounters.

If you want to see how beautiful the SP101 can really be, go check out Gemini Customs web site!

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    If you want to see how beautiful the SP101 can really be, go check out Gemini Customs web site!
    Funny you should mention Gemini. The exact sp101 I am considering purchasing is their Nightstalker, or Red Dragon packages. I have been thinking about an sp101 for a while now. The wife ok'd a budget for a "high end" gun purchase for my birthday, and I love the Gemini's. I am not a big fan of porting, but it seems like it would be nice to have for the range, and in an SD situation, I have heard arguments both for and against. My honest opinion, is that any blowback, or flash from posting an sd would be somewhat minimal. I am still hunting down my new edc purchase. I may go high end for a Gemini, or get an xd sub and spend the money saved on "other big boy toys", but that Gemini is calling my name.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well the Gemini package is very very attractive. I'll do it shortly with mine but I can't decide on whether-or-not to bob my hammer. I do think the porting looks GREAT and I believe it would be fantastic for the range but I've read a lot about it for SD and it seems the vast majority of those who would seem to know what they're talking about are firmly against it. I know if you had to use it to save your life in a SD situation you probably wouldn't care too much if you lost some hearing or got a nasty burn but,...well, it's a tough call and I still sometimes think I'd like to get it.

My problem is that I like my SP101 for carrying in the woods hiking, fishing, camping, etc. and getting a nice bead blast finish and bobbing the hammer doesn't fit that scene very well.

Such agonizing choices!! Perhaps I should get two????

I have a 2 1/4 inch sp101 that I carry when I am working. I work miles from civilization and by myself, so I am not expecting multiple perps. Maybe an angry sow with cubs though, but 5 rounds should take care of it.

It is a great little gun, but is only a few ounces lighter than my xd40, and shooting full power .357 mags are not fun after the first 3. On the bright side, the muzzle blast will most likely knock over anyone within a 10 foot circle or at least make their eyes bleed.

If you want a tough as nails and never fail revolver, its the way to go.

I carry a 2 1/4" SP101 and use a "Clipdraw" that is working out very well. I tried a couple of holsters and they didn't work for me. The Clipdraw is comfortable, easy on/esay off and reasonably priced. It doesn't add any thickness of leather or Kydex between you and the waistband.

I put a Trausch grip on mine and bobbed the hammer. Shooting .357s is no problem for me with the Trausch grips. I like my SP101!

Cloudpeak

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    My daily carry is an SP101 for the past 10 years or so. I'm a big guy and the weight doesn't bug me. My holster is a simple soft leather IWB with one clip. All of the gun is covered except the grip.

The gun itself is great. It is accurate and packs a good SD round.

Drawbacks... It is wider that most other carry guns and only has 5 rounds. I haven't fired the Sig or a sub XD (just a full size .40).
    Is your SP101 a 2 1/4" version or the 3" version?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I don't carry it all the time now but I do carry the 3" version of this weapon in an IWB holster I bought from AKJ Concealco leather.
    Same set-up for me. A very comfortable rig.

Yep, carry one, like it, use it... Concealco works great, a full review attached...
    It is thick, only holds five rounds, is not exactly light... my MK40 carries 6 and is smaller....BUT it is not a revolver now is it?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...intensive.html
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links