SP101?

This is a discussion on SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Still being a bit torn between an auto and a revolver for a carry gun I've decided to resolve the issue by buying both! The ...

Thread: SP101?

Question SP101?

Still being a bit torn between an auto and a revolver for a carry gun I've decided to resolve the issue by buying both!

The auto will be a Glock 23 and the revolver will be a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag. My only decision left is whether to get the 2 1/4" barrel version or the 3 1/16" barrel. I like the idea of the longer sighting radius of the 3 1/16" barrel, but being new to CCW I'm wondering if there's any real difference in the ability to conceal the 2 1/4" version versus the 3 1/16"?

Recommendations appreciated!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Not much of a difference, but a lot depends on how you plan on carrying it. I prefer the 3" myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not much of a difference, but a lot depends on how you plan on carrying it. I prefer the 3" myself.
    Preferably IWB if possible. How do you carry yours?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I use the 2 1/4 for a BUG.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I much prefer the 2 1/4 carried in an IWB holster. Actually I carry a S&W model 442 with a 1 7/8th inch barrel. Much lighter than the Ruger but still very controllable especially with the new ammo coming out for snubnose revolvers.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have and carry the 3" and love the looks, however, for carry the 2" might be a tad easier to conceal if you're going to carry OWB. That extra inch pushes the rig down a bit lower so if your cover garment isn't long it can show easier.

If you're going to carry IWB then it's not as significant. I'm assuming this won't be pocket carried due to weight but If that is the case then a 2" bobbed hammer version would be preferable.

Take a look at a web site called Gemini Customs and look at what they can do with an SP101 (I love doing that!)

CEW: I carry a 3" SP101 in a Don Hume Jit Holster(OWB) along with a Don Hume gun belt. A very good combo and very comfortable. Just wear a longer t shirt and you are in business. Good luck

I don't think you'll find the SP101 any harder or easier to conceal vs. your Glock 23.

I have a Glock 19, but my back up gun is a j-frame. I had an SP101, but it was too heavy for pocket carry. It was a 3". To do it again, I would buy the 2" spurless model.

Talking

You know, I'm really loving this forum. There is such a wealth of information here from people who always seem eager to help! I'm really glad I found this place!

I also signed up for Glock Talk but always end up here instead.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

CEW58...I like the way you resolve 'gun buying' issues...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    CEW58...I like the way you resolve 'gun buying' issues...
    It seemed like the only reasonable solution!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    I heard a rumor that there was a new SP101 coming out that has a bobbed hammer and a melt job. You might have to get one of those too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a G23 and an SP101 carry both occasionally. The SP101 actually gets more use these days as I have an IWB for it. The Glock rides OWB and is more difficult to conceal that way. I have to agree though, the size of the two makes little difference in concealing... I would have got the 23 first and still got the Ruger... you got to have options...

I have a full write up on the ruger holster here...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...intensive.html

Teasers below! CEW58, you will be starting a nice collection... some desktop pics to keep you motivated...

Last edited by Prvt. Toter; February 7th, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: kan't spelt
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

2 1/4 is a nice piece.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The Ruger SP101 is a great little revolver, and I wouldn't even consider getting rid of mine. Five potent rounds of 357 Magnum will be a bad day for any potential threat (except maybe a 600 lb bear). I have the 2.25" model, and I can get 2-3" groups at 15 yards if I aim carefully. I practice with my Glock 19 more than I do with my SP101, because I carry the Glock most of the time. As for the G23, its a good gun, but I personally can't shoot it as accurately as I can the 19. Anyway, great choices on both guns, and hope they serve you well!

Edit: Can't forget the eye candy!

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Links