Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh... - Page 2

Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh...

This is a discussion on Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would not want to play quick draw with an inexperienced shooter. He'll probably shoot himself in the foot, or worse. What if he tries ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh...

I would not want to play quick draw with an inexperienced shooter. He'll probably shoot himself in the foot, or worse. What if he tries to twirl the gun before he re-holsters it? I'd stay away from this ...

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Go have the contest if you wish. Be certain to take along a really good First Aid Kit. Your friend is apt to need attention for that newly formed hole in his leg/foot.

seems to me that compareing his revolver draw to your semi draw is comparing apples to oranges. It would seem to make more sense to compare his revover draw and accuracy to HIS semi draw and accuracy.

Also seems like a recipe for disaster to allow a "novice" (I'll assume this since he doesn't own his own revolver)to rush his draw in SA to prove a point to a group who already knows what the answer is

Hopefully he changes his mind.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    ....Now, he wants to challenge me. My 1911 versus my S&W 66 (because he currently doesn't own his own revolver) on accuracy and speed....
    Tell him that will be fine, but it is gonna be a low light shoot that involves multiple reloads...
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Okay, this is my fault for not being clear. He is not an inexperience shooter. A bit thick headed on certain things, but eh....He USED to carry a S&W 66 back in Oklahoma, it used to be his duty weapon. Personally, as far as quick draw, I thought were going to do that on dry-firing and then proceed to load the weapons and challenge each other on accuracy combined with multiple loading and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by What the? View Post
    I would not want to play quick draw with an inexperienced shooter. He'll probably shoot himself in the foot, or worse. What if he tries to twirl the gun before he re-holsters it? I'd stay away from this ...
    I am a huge safety freak; I will NOT shoot with untrained newbies and generally ask folks who use our local private range about their training.
    I know folks who do the cowboy thing safely and well, but I'd back away from an untrained shooter who wants to do the fast draw thing with someone else's pistol. I'd be a bit concerned about liability, too, for lending my pistol to such an event.

Bahhh....not for me.

Me and Grady shoot together all the time. Sometimes we agree on certain scenarios, ammos, carry guns, all that stuff...sometimes we don't.

One thing we NEVER do is try to one-up each other in our shooting practices or defensive weapon draws...we watch each other and help out by lending a different perspective or correcting a stance here or there, or just learn from each other as we go. It's all about both of us surviving to shoot again tomorrow, not about challenging each other to find out who the badass is.

We each watch the other pretty carefully when we are shooting, because if I can make Grady a better shot, the better my chances are if he's ever the guy that pulls when the SHTF right behind ME. He knows the same is true with me.

It's never a competition. EVER.

At my CWP class the attendees were offered the use of a Revolver as part of the class. Including ammo.... HOWEVER.... they were all required to shoot the qualification from Double Action only. Not cocked.

Your buddy may be too hot headed and stubborn to have a CWP...

VIP Member
    I sure hope you friend learns just how dangerous it is to draw a revolver and then cock the hammer in a defensive scenario before he starts carrying.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    At my CWP class the attendees were offered the use of a Revolver as part of the class. Including ammo.... HOWEVER.... they were all required to shoot the qualification from Double Action only. Not cocked.
    I also remember my instructor mentioning that, with the exception of the 1911. You're right, in order to prove that you are proficient with a handgun, you must be able to operate the firearm within its scope (something like that). Double Action trigger falls under that. He must able to properly manipulate the double action trigger and still make a passing score on the shooting test. On the other hand, I think he'll learn something new when he takes the course.

I think I just found something to help my case.

VIP Member

Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh...

I wouldn't do a challenge.
    <
    <
    <
    Get real gents, there is nothing wrong with planning to shoot DA or SA. It is just a matter of practice and the situation one finds himself in.

Instead of a one on one challenge like you are suggesting, go to an IDPA match and compare score after it is over. Oh, and since I've had stages where the revolver guys have a different number of shots on target, make sure you both have to shoot the same number of shots on target so you can really compare.

The only way to really quantify which is fastest would be to use a timer and do a few repetitions where he cocks the hammer, and a few where he fires D/A.
    Or, get a copy of a LE qualification course and have him run it both ways staying in the time limits and then check accuracy.

Regardless, I don't think cocking the hammer on the draw is the best choice. If it was my friend I'd probably just laugh at him and tell him not to get his panties in a wad.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links