Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh...

This is a discussion on Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, a friend of mine is considering taking the CHL course with his revolver. Now, I have NOTHING against revolvers. If he wants to carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh...

Uh Oh! A challenge has cometh...

Well, a friend of mine is considering taking the CHL course with his revolver. Now, I have NOTHING against revolvers. If he wants to carry a revolver than thats cool. But, he is used to cocking the hammer on the draw. I was just passively saying that its an extra step for me to do that which is why I like Double Action revolvers and pistols. I like the 1911 because is already cocked and for me to disengage the safety comes more instinctively than cocking a revolver.

WELL, he got offended. Now, he wants to challenge me. My 1911 versus my S&W 66 (because he currently doesn't own his own revolver) on accuracy and speed. I don't want to hurt his feelings....

2. Remove Ads

Have your friend read Massad Ayoob.

Cocking the Hammer is a poor imitation of reality and set you up to be a patsy.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    A hammer on a carry gun is just another thing to catch on clothing.
    Best,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    There's nothing wrong with having a standard hammer on a CCW gun, just make sure you practice clearing your cover garment to where the hammer won't snag. I've done lots of draw practice with my Ruger SP101, and never had any snag problems. As for carrying a single action revolver, well some folks may be quick enough to actually pull the gun out, cock the hammer, and fire in less maybe 1.5 seconds, but for the average person, that's not going to work. For me I like double action revolvers, because its pull out the gun and pull trigger.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    I think this other guy has a bad technique, and needs to learn the truth. Going to the range to compare and improve your technique (or a friends) is not idiotic.
    Sometimes people have to see the truth before they can believe it. Once this guy sees how much time he could be wasting in a critical moment he may change his tune. On the other hand he may be fast enough and no change is needed. Going to the range and comparing is the only way to know for sure.
    Last edited by rocky; February 7th, 2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: removed quote from deleted post
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

This is one range report I will be waiting to read.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Sometimes people have to see the truth before they can believe it. Once this guy sees how much time he could be wasting in a critical moment he may change his tune. On the other hand he may be fast enough and no change is needed. Going to the range and comparing is the only way to know for sure.
    That is exactly why I agreed to the competition. We're just friends, it is a friendly competition between two gentlemen. If he proves that he is MUCH faster then cool. If he sees that I am just as accurate with my 1911 and maybe consider taking the course with a semi-auto, cool. There is no "I told you so" or "I am better than you".

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    Well, a friend of mine is considering taking the CHL course with his revolver. Now, I have NOTHING against revolvers. If he wants to carry a revolver than thats cool. But, he is used to cocking the hammer on the draw. I was just passively saying that its an extra step for me to do that which is why I like Double Action revolvers and pistols. I like the 1911 because is already cocked and for me to disengage the safety comes more instinctively than cocking a revolver.

WELL, he got offended. Now, he wants to challenge me. My 1911 versus my S&W 66 (because he currently doesn't own his own revolver) on accuracy and speed. I don't want to hurt his feelings....
    No problem for him to qualify with a revolver, but please remind him that if he does his choice for carry is limited to revolver only, Just remind him about the class of weapon he can carry if he qualifies with a revolver, if he qualifies with an autoloader he can carry any pistol in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    No problem for him to qualify with a revolver, but please remind him that if he does his choice for carry is limited to revolver only, Just remind him about the class of weapon he can carry if he qualifies with a revolver, if he qualifies with an autoloader he can carry any pistol in Texas.
    In CA, it's whatever is on the permit. I qualified with both a revolver (Ruger) and a pistol (Glock).

Your friend has a lot to learn and it's all about safety.

A revolver with the hammer cocked has a very light trigger. Accidental discharges with the hammer cocked are not uncommon. If the hammer is cocked you MUST keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot. The heavier/longer double action trigger pull of an uncocked revolver is designed to make the weapon safe to use. The double action firing is for self defense situations in which you fire off rounds quickly after drawing. Single action firing is for difficult to hit targets that require taking careful aim. If your friend is cocking the trigger at anytime before he is able to get the muzzel pointed downrange he is at risk of shooting himself in the leg.

I would also discourage any contest about who or what is faster. A lot of people have shot themselves doing that kind of stuff. The pros all say that the best defensive response is a relaxed unhurried presentaton of your weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    In CA, it's whatever is on the permit. I qualified with both a revolver (Ruger) and a pistol (Glock).
    the OP (origional poster) is from Texas, our laws allow you to carry any handgun if you qualify with a semi auto, but if you do not qualify with a semi auto you get the NSA handgun license meaning you can carry any revolver derringer, cane gun etc, but not a semi automatic, unlike some states you dont have to qualify with each weapon here, its a broad catagorization, so having NSA simply restricts your rights to carry, even if you are only planning on carrying a revolver you should qualify with a Semi Auto here, just so you are not limited in your choice down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Your friend has a lot to learn and it's all about safety.

A revolver with the hammer cocked has a very light trigger. Accidental discharges with the hammer cocked are not uncommon. If the hammer is cocked you MUST keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot. The heavier/longer double action trigger pull of an uncocked revolver is designed to make the weapon safe to use. The double action firing is for self defense situations in which you fire off rounds quickly after drawing. Single action firing is for difficult to hit targets that require taking careful aim. If your friend is cocking the trigger at anytime before he is able to get the muzzel pointed downrange he is at risk of shooting himself in the leg.

I would also discourage any contest about who or what is faster. A lot of people have shot themselves doing that kind of stuff. The pros all say that the best defensive response is a relaxed unhurried presentaton of your weapon.
    +1....watch out for NDs

Does he have (or use) a proper holster?

Has he practiced with a holster?

Slow is fast...fast is slow
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Many new shooters fear the perceived complexity of semi-autos, so they opt for revolvers. There is also the classic urban myth that semi-autos are "prone to jam." These things might also be factors here.

You can have the contest if you wish, no harm done, but what might be an even more effective strategy is to simply let him fire some semi-autos. For one thing, the greater speed in reloading might help to change his mind.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    The only time you should be cocking a revolver when you draw is if you are carrying a single-action!.....not many carry one these days. Doing so with a DA is just movie mentality.

If you're shooting in defense, or practicing shooting in defense with a DA revolver, you should be firing DA. The reasons have been posted above.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

No problem with a friendly competion. I'm sure your competion doesn't include him borrowing your gun, borrowing your holster, drawing, cocking, and firing a live round, right? Other than that, show him how you do it, and let him chose what's best for him. Hopefully, you guys have a good time at the range, and maybe you can both learn some new techniques.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links