Bar-Sto?

Bar-Sto?

This is a discussion on Bar-Sto? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question about these barrels. I am considering putting one in my Glock 23. Are there any advantages to doing this? I am ...

Thread: Bar-Sto?

Bar-Sto?

I have a question about these barrels. I am considering putting one in my Glock 23. Are there any advantages to doing this? I am pondering this as I have heard that .40 S&W chambered Glocks could KB. Is it even worth considering? Looking forward to your responses. Thank you in advance for your input.

The only reason I would consider one, would be to convert
    my 23 over to 19.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Assistant Administrator
    Main advantage seems to be ability to safely use cast bullets.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    One of the main reasons for switching out your barrel to a conventional rifling design is to allow you to safely shoot reloads out of your glock. The stock polygonal rifled barrel has the risk of KB with reloads.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    The only reason I would consider one, would be to convert
    my 23 over to 19.
    +1 or go .357 SIG however they still don't make a conversion in .41 GASTON yet.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

My training partner Troy has a G23 with BarSto 9mm barrel that has over 20,000 rounds through it. Never a problem that I am aware of.

Shoot - probably more like 25k actually...
    Tony Siciliano
    Senior Instructor
    LMS Defense - East Coast
    tonysiciliano@lmsdefense.com
    www.lmsdefense.com
    Join us on the LMSD Forum

I might consider Bar-Sto if I wanted to shoot cast bullets. Plus there there are a couple of less expensive barrels on the market like Lone Wolf, and EFK Fire Dragon.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

It's an excellent choice if you choose to switch bbl's. I have a Bar-Sto in my G17 and it honestly made a pretty big difference with mine. Plus, add the benifits stated above in this thread and you can't lose. Some will say it's not needed and I agree with that to an extent but it depends on what you are wanting to do with the gun as well that makes the decision for me.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Ive shot reloads in my Glock barrels for years with no problems whatsoever; The reason they say this is because they are trying to limit their liability just in case you do have a KB. I guarantee you that their barrels use the same steel everybody elses' barrels do, they just get colored and treated differently.

As far as Bar-Sto is concerned, some of the best barrels out there are made by Irv Stone and Bar-Sto.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I guarantee you that their barrels use the same steel everybody elses' barrels do, they just get colored and treated differently.
    Sort of; Glock barrels use polygonal rifling and are nitride coated. They have a much higher surface hardness than traditional barrels, and form a tighter seal.

Administrator
    The factory Glock barrels are excellent. Their QC is quite amazing.
    It is really unbelievable the great production pains that they take producing their slides and barrels.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

they are good barrels, i have one for a glock 19. but i like the efk fire dragon and kkm barrels better. they are drop in and the price is better/lower. to shoot cast lead in any glock you need an after market barrel..... to shoot reloads in any glock 40 s&w you need an after market barrel.. the factory glock 40 s&w barrel does not give full case support. in useing reloads this is were the kb's can come into play. now the above named barrels after market brands give better case support than the factory 40 s&w barrel. now here it comes,,,, some will say it does not matter and they use the factory barrel.. take a factory 40 s&w barrel,, drop in a round and you can see where the barrel does not support the case. do the same with a after market barrel and you can see the different. take a fired case from a glock factory 40 s&w barrel and you can see the different at the head space area of the case. one side where the barrel does not support the case. re sizeing the brass makes it round again,,,,,but it will be weak in the spot. will it hold up the next time in an unsupported barrell????? or will it blow??? i will not take that chance,,,that's way i use after market barrels in all three of my glocks 40 s&w.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links