Which Color Fiber Optic do you like?

This is a discussion on Which Color Fiber Optic do you like? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At some point I'm sending an SP101 in for some work. I've struggled a long time trying to decide on which front sight to have ...

View Poll Results: Which Front Sight on an SP101 or CCW gun?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Fiber Optic

11 17.46%
  • Green Fiber Optic

19 30.16%
  • Night Sight

29 46.03%
  • Gold Bead

4 6.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Color Fiber Optic do you like?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Which Color Fiber Optic do you like?

At some point I'm sending an SP101 in for some work. I've struggled a long time trying to decide on which front sight to have between a gold bead, night sight, red, or green fiber optic. I started a thread a long time ago on this but can't find it. I won't beat the dead horse but, one last time, between red and green, which fiber optic sight do you prefer? I'm still not decided which way I'll go but I'm probably leaning towards night sight (all my carry guns have them). I liked the idea of a gold bead because in 50 years when my grandson is shooting my ruger it'll still be a gold bead instead of a dead night sight

But if I go with the fiber optic, I'm struggling to pick a color. I have a green fiber optic on my bow and like that but I've never had a red fiber optic, so between the two, which would you pick?

If you've struggled with choosing a front sight option for your SP101 I'd love to hear what you chose and why!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Fiber optics are less than desirable for a defense gun. They are a little brittle. I would go with a Trijicon front sight and a plain black (for autos) rear sight. Have the smith pin the front sight in so that it can be changed when it winks out.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I hear Green is easiest to pick up by the eyes quickly.... but... I dunno where that comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I hear Green is easiest to pick up by the eyes quickly.... but... I dunno where that comes from.

It also captures more ambient light.

I prefer green myself, but I just paint my front sight with luminous green paint every couple of months.

Biker

TruGlo makes a front and rear sight they call the TFO. It is a fiber optic/tritium sight combo, best of both worlds. I'm not sure what guns they cover however. I'm sure they have an informative web site.

Shabo
    Molon Labe / Ron Paul prez '08

Administrator
    I kinda like a green fiber optic on my clays or bird guns, but I would never put one on a carry gun. I would go with a regular night sight, or more likely the good old fashioned bead.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd go with TruGlo TFO's if available for your gun.

Between the thread title, your post at the begining of this thread and the poll, you really are asking more then one question, but in the spirit of the thread title, I'd go with the green fiber optic for the front sight. If you are also going with fiber optics on the rear, mix the color for contrast, red in back-green in front.

Now if you are asking if you should go with fiber optic or night sight......well if it's a carry gun, you'd probably be better of with a night sight, or as mentioned the Tru-Glo TFO's if available.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

The TFO's offer combinations. I plan on green rear and yellow front. The TFO's will give you the best of both worlds, very bright sights at night and still very visible during daylight.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

From my experience with my bowhunting/archery equipment, I can tell ya to forget the red. It is the first color you will loose as daylight fades. I even replaced all of the red fibers on my archery sights!

IMO, green is the best color in fiber optic material. Yellow comes in second.

And, FWIW, I'd put night sights on the handgun.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    And, FWIW, I'd put night sights on the handgun.
    i'd have to agree..seems less fragile

my beretta has Trijicon front and rear sights.nothing like looking down at your gun in its holster and seeing green dots glowing up at yah while in low light conditions..

(not sure how well fiber optic sights are in low light conditions..)
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

I imagine you are talking about the Gemini customs small wonder sights. They are very fragile, good for a target/range gun, but I myself would be scared to death of breaking them whenever I unholster and reholster the gun, which for a carry gun is daily. The sights are very nice, but even on the gemini website, none of the guns pictured with the holters have the small wonder sights on them. I am ordering the night stalker package from Gemini at the end of the month and won't be putting these sight on them due to their fragility.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Green fiber light truly out shines the other color fiber lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    I can tell ya to forget the red. It is the first color you will loose as daylight fades.
    +1 That's exactly why many fire trucks etc. are now painted yellow- to make them more visible in low light. Yellow changes to white as the ambient light fades.

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I imagine you are talking about the Gemini customs small wonder sights. They are very fragile, good for a target/range gun, but I myself would be scared to death of breaking them whenever I unholster and reholster the gun, which for a carry gun is daily. The sights are very nice, but even on the gemini website, none of the guns pictured with the holters have the small wonder sights on them. I am ordering the night stalker package from Gemini at the end of the month and won't be putting these sight on them due to their fragility.
    Jaystekan; do you think all of their wonder sights are cheap or just the fiber optic? I guess I could call Marc and ask him about the night sight he uses. I did check out the TruGlo TFO's but they don't make them for the SP101 and this is a front sight only setup.

Well the pole is clear! Range gun; green, carry SD gun, night sight!! So night sight it shall be! I did see where one fella put a Big Dot night sight on his but he had to drill it.

Thanks for all of the input guys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links