broken Kahr?

This is a discussion on broken Kahr? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, my PM9 is sick. Long story short, the recoil spring jumped over the flange and held the recoil rod assembly compressed which resulted in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: broken Kahr?

broken Kahr?

Ok, my PM9 is sick.

Long story short, the recoil spring jumped over the flange and held the recoil rod assembly compressed which resulted in the gun not functioning and the slide being held back by about 1/8th an inch.

I "fixed" it by pulling the spring off and reassembled and test fired. No problems now. Checked at the local shop as I don't want this to happen again, I'm told to call Kahr and ask for a replacement recoil assembly. Kahr says they need my gun back, and I have to pay for shipping.

Does this sound like just a bad recoil assembly or is there something else wrong? Since the gun is new and only has about 6-700 rounds through it I shipped it back to be checked.

Not very happy now. Glad I was able to finish the day with my Glocks. Funny thing is that my buddies Beretta had several failure to feed jams.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Could consider buying a new assembly as it would be cheaper than shipping the gun back, but if you're not 100% confident it's the recoil spring/rod assembly, I'd send it back. We all hate to see something like this happen with a new weapon but better safe than sorry!

I really considered just upgrading to an aftermarket assembly but they way the slide got jammed up I can understand why they want the gun back to check it. Can't blame them, if it is something else that caused the spring to malfunction and I just switch out springs I could make it worse. It was only $25 to ship it back. Still not happy about not having my gun for 3 weeks.

I think it is poor customer service when you have a problem with a new gun and they expect you to pay the $$$ to send the gun back to them. I can see if it was a year old or second hand, but not on a new gun. I would have asked to speak to a supervisor, maybe it wouldn't have done any good but I would have felt better,lol!! I have other reasons for not buying a Kahr, but this sure adds to it.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Kahr tried to make me pay for shipping when I sent back my P45. I had put about 200 rounds through it (only took it to the range once). I told them that it was ridiculous to make me pay for shipping on something that is brand new and defective from the factory. It took a little convincing, but they sent me a check to reimburse me for shipping. Needless to say, I was a little ticked off that I even had to argue my point.
    So if your gun is new, I would definitely pursue trying to make them cover your shipping cost. Hope they find the problem and get it back to new for you.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Never owned a Kahr, but surely there is some sort of warranty on the thing. Kahr should pay the shipping BOTH ways on a nearly new gun. Also, 3 weeks is too long a turnaround for factory warranty. How long does it take to find out if the gun is defective? Just a few minutes?

kpw
    They should definately pay for shipping on a new gun. By and large, Kahrs are good guns but I've seen enough lemons to shy away from them. I'd send it in for a check up either way. The Beretta is the odd thing to me. I'm not a huge fan but I've rarely seen them sputter with factory mags.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Never owned a Kahr, but surely there is some sort of warranty on the thing. Kahr should pay the shipping BOTH ways on a nearly new gun. Also, 3 weeks is too long a turnaround for factory warranty. How long does it take to find out if the gun is defective? Just a few minutes?

might be 3 weeks behind cause they have so many other defective kahrs in front of him.

paying to ship the gun back to kahr is a rip off if the gun is new. i would have never went for that.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Where are you in PA?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Because of numerous problems with my MK9, it is now on its 4th trip back. After the first two voyages (FedEx overnight, 50 bucks), I made a point to specify that I would no longer pay for shipping so you may have some luck convincing them to cover it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reynrv View Post
    Because of numerous problems with my MK9, it is now on its 4th trip back. After the first two voyages (FedEx overnight, 50 bucks), I made a point to specify that I would no longer pay for shipping so you may have some luck convincing them to cover it as well.
    4th trip back?!?!? Oh, I would be so upset! Hate to hear about anyone having this many problems from a reputable manufacturer. Geez
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Geez! You guys are scaring me! I was going to recommend a Kahr to my daughter as her first carry gun.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Geez! You guys are scaring me! I was going to recommend a Kahr to my daughter as her first carry gun.
    On the good side, it seems that when they work from the getgo, they work well. If it's the best option for her, it's still a good choice. My father in law's PM9 has worked great for him for a couple/3 years now.

I have a Kahr PM9 that I bought used at the local gun shop. Never had any problems with it that a good cleaning didn't resolve. If I had a lot of trouble with it though, I'd just go find something else. I don't like that shipping back and forth stuff - it gets old.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    On the good side, it seems that when they work from the getgo, they work well. If it's the best option for her, it's still a good choice. My father in law's PM9 has worked great for him for a couple/3 years now.
    Agreed. To me, Kahr guns are like Volkswagons. Most of them will run forever. A few of them will have problems right from the start, and they may never be right. At least, that's been my experience in both respects.

I love my Kahr's, and so does everyone I know, -1. That 1, got a lemon and for all the trouble he had with it, I don't blame him for absolutely trash talking Kahr up and down the street six ways from Sunday.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links