Oh no... the day is coming - Page 2

Oh no... the day is coming

This is a discussion on Oh no... the day is coming within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 19 for all the reasons everyone said. With the money left over (after gun, holster, belt, magpouch) get some extra mags, night sites, ammo ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh no... the day is coming

Glock 19 for all the reasons everyone said. With the money left over (after gun, holster, belt, magpouch) get some extra mags, night sites, ammo and buy some training.

Rent until you find one you feel good with, then buy a new one.

I'd get the Sig 229 with the DA/SA trigger.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hmmm, I'd buy a G19 or a 229 in 9mm.

Why? Proven. Easy to get and plentiful parts. Tons of holster and other aftermarket choices. Carries easy, but you still have plenty of ammo on board and fullsize ability. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and you will need to shoot a lot and should be enrolling in some advanced training, and nobody is going to convince me a heavier caliber is needed.
    +1

Also, if you happen to be military you can get the Glock Certified Dealer discount. Which will get you a Glock 26 or 19 I beleive for about $398. Someone correct me on the pricing if I am wrong.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My take on it is that you could go with a SA XD9...hi cap mags.........Pistol pak, which gives you two extra mags, mag pouch, holster and loading tool, for about between 450.00 and 585.00.....then get a Ruger 22/45 5 1/2 inch MKIII pistol.. in 22LR..for about 250.00........You say you enjoy the 1911, and the XD and Ruger fit the bill for ergonomics in their frame... the XD brings the best of the 1911 grip safety, the glock striker/trigger/polymer frame as well as the Sig takedown lever.. this way you'll get a great 9mm gun, plus a 22 you can shoot the dickins out of, and save yourself a few bucks in the end..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

BAC
    SilenceDoGood, you've got me beat by a few days.

Since I was feelin' a 1911, I went that route and figured I'd put a little of each paycheck aside for ammo and training money. Right now I'm only holster-hunting, but I have a feeling I'll be needing a second handgun for when attire is required that doesn't support concealing a 5" 1911. Which is fine, since it gives me an excuse to strap on my PA-63 (I love that little gun) until I can get a P239 or another smaller, more easily concealed weapon.

I recommend the gun that fits you best that you can carry most comfortably. In Florida our options are concealed and concealed only, but I believe open carry is alright in Arizona, so size and printing aren't as big issues as they would be elsewhere.

-B

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I went out and shot the XD 9 4" today. Sold. THanks for the ideas guys! Is hydrashok 9m an okay defensive round?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I went out and shot the XD 9 4" today. Sold. THanks for the ideas guys! Is hydrashok 9m an okay defensive round?
    You're a smart man
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I remember purchasing a pistol on my 21st birthday. I have a long memory as that was 30 years ago. It was a Colt 1911 .45 which I still have.

Glad you've "arrived". We need more like you.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hmmm, I'd buy a G19 or a 229 in 9mm.

Why? Proven. Easy to get and plentiful parts. Tons of holster and other aftermarket choices. Carries easy, but you still have plenty of ammo on board and fullsize ability. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and you will need to shoot a lot and should be enrolling in some advanced training, and nobody is going to convince me a heavier caliber is needed.
    This is spot on advice!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I have two XD's, a 4" .40, and the 3" sub-compact .40. I really like them as they fit my hand well, shoot well, and have fairly simple manual of arms. Before deciding on the XD's, I tried several Glocks (didn't like the fit in the hand), a S&W 3913 (single stack - small grip - didn't fit well), as well as any others I could get my hands on. SIG's and HK's were out of the budget, but I do have my eyes on a SIG P250 modular for sometime in the future.

Enjoy the XD, mine have eaten 2,250 rounds combined without so much as a hiccup.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I have an XD 45 and a G19, I was going to suggest you try out a XD 9 and a G19, that you would probably like it, but I see your right on track.

I feed mine with Hydrashok for defensive rounds, its pretty good stuff and has never given me any problems.

I turn 21 in a week. I've saved up 1,000 dollars to spend on gun, holster, belt and some ammo. I know i want a gun that will eat anything and that is super reliable. I'm pretty sure I want .40 cal, or do i want 9mm (i shoot .45 just fine, but $$$$$$$) I can't decided between Glock 23 and XD40 4" or a Sig or save up a bit more and get an HK. If you guys were just turning 21 and were buying your very first EDC gun, what would ya get, and why. I've shot em all, now the hard part is making up my mind... didn't think it would be this hard.

I have a number of different auto pistols, and I recently bought my first Sig. I tell you, this Sig is the best pistol I've ever shot or owned. So I'd go with a Sig if I were you. But like some others are saying, it's really what feels and shoots good for you. The Sig just happens to do it for me. Regarding caliber, this new Sig was also my first 45 auto. My others are nines and 380s. So I'd go with a 45, since you said you handled it ok. 40 s&w would be my next choice, followed by 9mm last. Nothing wrong with 9mm, but it's a pipsqueak compared to the 45 auto. Regarding price, I paid $750 new for my Sig p220. Regarding ammo prices for practice, 9mm is cheapest, but then you have to decide if you want to carry 9mm vs. 45. So in summary, Sig + 45 auto = perfection. But in the end, whether you end up with a 9, 40, or 45, they're all good. I'd hate to be staring down the business end of ANY of them !

Yes, Hydrashok is good defense ammo. You should probably check out Remington Golden Saber. I think it's a little better, more modern, more effective design. The expanded bullets look a little better than the hydrashocks in gelatin and water jug tests I've seen. I know some PDs carry Golden Saber, as they do Hydrashoks as well.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    SilenceDoGood
    You made a good choice. Now practice, practice, practice
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links