Defensive Carry banner

Oh no... the day is coming

4K views 41 replies 39 participants last post by  DOGOFWAR01 
#1 ·
I turn 21 in a week. I've saved up 1,000 dollars to spend on gun, holster, belt and some ammo. I know i want a gun that will eat anything and that is super reliable. I'm pretty sure I want .40 cal, or do i want 9mm (i shoot .45 just fine, but $$$$$$$) I can't decided between Glock 23 and XD40 4" or a Sig or save up a bit more and get an HK. If you guys were just turning 21 and were buying your very first EDC gun, what would ya get, and why. I've shot em all, now the hard part is making up my mind... didn't think it would be this hard.

#2 ·
Hmmm, I'd buy a G19 or a 229 in 9mm.

Why? Proven. Easy to get and plentiful parts. Tons of holster and other aftermarket choices. Carries easy, but you still have plenty of ammo on board and fullsize ability. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and you will need to shoot a lot and should be enrolling in some advanced training, and nobody is going to convince me a heavier caliber is needed.

#13 ·
+1

I agree with everything you said Sixto. When it is a budget consideration, the 9mm is a good bet. The only thing I would add is that a good alternative to the G19 or the Sig 229 is the Springfield XD9. The XD9 will save a few bucks and is also very dependable. I have all three of these guns in my personal arsenal and each of them is a keeper.

#3 ·
I'm a firm believer in dryfire practice, and the Sig is your only DA option listed (that I'd consider, HK is nice but too much $$), so I'd go with the sig to practice dryfire, including cycling and practicing clearance drills with dum-dums. My first EDC was a Beretta and having the DA option really helped me get fast.

#4 ·
That's really a question only you can answer. There are so many good CCW's available. :wink:

If you're concerned about ammo prices then I'd stick to 9mm.
You'll need some more loot if you go SIG so prolly one of the plastic guns like a Glock 19 would be a good start.

What have you tried? Maybe it would help you to go shoot some of the guns you think you like? :yup:

#5 ·
I'm way over 21 but I was in the same situation last year. January of 2007, I decided to get a gun for home defense and plinking. I was looking at a USP compact in .40 but eventually went home with a Sig P229 9mm. I bought the Sig, which I paid over $900 with night sights and tax and $5 NICS call-in (what the hell was I thinking????)

Anyway, my point is that I went in there really decided on the USP compact but went home with the P229 coz I really felt better in my hand and it shot like a dream. Make your decision based on what feels good to YOU, in the end you are the only one who can tell which weapon is right for you. I would strongly recommend renting the test firing before making your purchase.

However, based on your post here's what you can get for $1000. A HK is really not outside your budget if you get it from the right place. CDNN seems to have the best prices on HK's so far.

H&K:
P30 - $730 from CDNN (around $35 for the FFL transfer fee to your local dealer)
Holster - around $80 - $120 from reputable holster makers (Milt Sparks, UBG, etc.)
Belt - approx. $70 from the Beltman
Total: around $955 (the rest you can but 200 rounds or 9mm from Walmart)

A Sig P226 or P229 would run you close to this amount. Again, these are just suggestions, go with what feels good to you! Good luck and have fun! :)

#6 ·
I bought a Ruger P95 secondhand before my 21st birthday and a Springfield Mil Spec 1911 for my birthday. I stumbled onto the Ruger, but I picked out the Springfield.

#7 ·
Listen to what sixto said. Starting with the 9mm in a Glock would be a wise choice. If you stay interested in guns chances are you are going to want a 9mm at some point. So you might as well start there and have affordable ammo to learn with. You can start adding other calibers later as funds become available. I suggest the Glock over the Sig. Not because it is a superior weapon but because you can get into the Glock cheaper and have a very dependable weapon to learn with plus cash for the added accessories you will need. Good luck with your choice and stay safe.
Mike

#9 ·
+1 for 9mm. Also, if you start shooting and find that you really like it you might want to look into a single stage reloading press. If you're shooting 250+ rounds per month, every month the reloading equipment will pay for itself in just a few months. Plus it's a great hobby. The savings will multiply if you ever add additional calibers to your gun collection.

#10 ·
oh no the day is coming

I would also second the renting of different types and calibers. I was dead set on a Beretta, rented it then rented a Sig 229...sold. Now I carry a Sig 220 .45 . As far as Glocks, 90 percent of the people in my League use them and they have zero problems. Plastic or no, they are dependable as are my Sigs. Combined, my 3 Sigs have about 8,000 trouble free rounds. Good luck and enjoy your search....

#11 ·
Glock 19...extremely reliable; simple manual-of-arms; consistent trigger-pull; easy to conceal; high capacity; accurate; widespread availability of parts, service, and gear (holsters, sights, etc.); cheap magazines (hi-caps for around $16-17); and cheapest ammo in a defensive caliber.

and like SIXTO touched on, I am unconvinced that there is a significant enough advantage to the larger calibers (.40 & .45) to justify the added cost, greater muzzle flip, and reduced capacity.

#14 ·
Glock 23 was my first at the same age. But Sixto makes a valid point at 9mm. The new ammo out there is nothing to be worried about for "stopping " power. I do really like my 14 rounds of 180 gr. Gold Dots though.

#20 ·
My take on it is that you could go with a SA XD9...hi cap mags.........Pistol pak, which gives you two extra mags, mag pouch, holster and loading tool, for about between 450.00 and 585.00.....then get a Ruger 22/45 5 1/2 inch MKIII pistol.. in 22LR..for about 250.00........You say you enjoy the 1911, and the XD and Ruger fit the bill for ergonomics in their frame... the XD brings the best of the 1911 grip safety, the glock striker/trigger/polymer frame as well as the Sig takedown lever.. this way you'll get a great 9mm gun, plus a 22 you can shoot the dickins out of, and save yourself a few bucks in the end..

#21 ·
SilenceDoGood, you've got me beat by a few days. :biggrin2:

Since I was feelin' a 1911, I went that route and figured I'd put a little of each paycheck aside for ammo and training money. Right now I'm only holster-hunting, but I have a feeling I'll be needing a second handgun for when attire is required that doesn't support concealing a 5" 1911. Which is fine, since it gives me an excuse to strap on my PA-63 (I love that little gun) until I can get a P239 or another smaller, more easily concealed weapon.

I recommend the gun that fits you best that you can carry most comfortably. In Florida our options are concealed and concealed only, but I believe open carry is alright in Arizona, so size and printing aren't as big issues as they would be elsewhere.

-B

#24 ·
I remember purchasing a pistol on my 21st birthday. I have a long memory as that was 30 years ago. It was a Colt 1911 .45 which I still have.

Glad you've "arrived". We need more like you.

#26 ·
I have two XD's, a 4" .40, and the 3" sub-compact .40. I really like them as they fit my hand well, shoot well, and have fairly simple manual of arms. Before deciding on the XD's, I tried several Glocks (didn't like the fit in the hand), a S&W 3913 (single stack - small grip - didn't fit well), as well as any others I could get my hands on. SIG's and HK's were out of the budget, but I do have my eyes on a SIG P250 modular for sometime in the future.

Enjoy the XD, mine have eaten 2,250 rounds combined without so much as a hiccup.

#28 ·
I have a number of different auto pistols, and I recently bought my first Sig. I tell you, this Sig is the best pistol I've ever shot or owned. So I'd go with a Sig if I were you. But like some others are saying, it's really what feels and shoots good for you. The Sig just happens to do it for me. Regarding caliber, this new Sig was also my first 45 auto. My others are nines and 380s. So I'd go with a 45, since you said you handled it ok. 40 s&w would be my next choice, followed by 9mm last. Nothing wrong with 9mm, but it's a pipsqueak compared to the 45 auto. Regarding price, I paid $750 new for my Sig p220. Regarding ammo prices for practice, 9mm is cheapest, but then you have to decide if you want to carry 9mm vs. 45. So in summary, Sig + 45 auto = perfection. But in the end, whether you end up with a 9, 40, or 45, they're all good. I'd hate to be staring down the business end of ANY of them !

#31 ·
Congragulations on a fine firearm. I wonder how much money I have spent in search of the "ultimate" sidearm. Dont be surprised to find yourself wanting The Next Best Pistol. I have settled on Glocks and 1911s for myself... but then there is always the Sig.... and Beretta... Well I still have some searching to do.:redface:

#33 ·
With a $1,000...you're off to a good start.
But asking what kind of gun to buy is like asking what kind of dress shoes to buy...everyone will have an opinion.
That's why I'm not going to suggest a Kimber Ultra, or a Glock-36...

Get thee to a gunshop and handle the little fellas'...one will begin calling out your name.:yup:

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.