P-3AT vs. Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on P-3AT vs. Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard of a lot of happy p3at owners but yet everyone seems quick to jump to the ruger... How about a list of flaws ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P-3AT vs. Ruger LCP

P-3AT vs. Ruger LCP

I've heard of a lot of happy p3at owners but yet everyone seems quick to jump to the ruger...

How about a list of flaws with the keltec that you hope the ruger took care of? (or wish that keltec would)

2. Remove Ads

Most obvious difference I can see is a slide catch on the Ruger. However, I'm 100% happy with my p3at.
    -Biker

I like the idea of the slide lock but am not interested enough in the type to bother with trading my P3AT to buy the Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I like the idea of the slide lock but am not interested enough in the type to bother with trading my P3AT to buy the Ruger.
    That's the point exactly. I shoot mine enough to know it works and I know it's there if I need it. If I didn't have a p3at, I'd look at the Ruger.
    -Biker

I've had two P3ATs, a 1st gen and 2nd gen. I sold the 1st gen to a friend that wanted it and used the cash to buy the 2nd gen. I've never had a single FTE/FTF, period. I trust this pistol to do what its supposed to do when needed.

I'll probably check out the Ruger, but doubt I will buy it. I have a problem with buying a new Ruger and when the company decides to sell the 20 and 30 round magazines for the Mini14/30 to the general public, as well as addressing the "no honest man needs more than five rounds" crap, then I'll consider buying a new Ruger.
    NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

Are the new Rugers out yet? If not does anyone know a release date?

With Ruger's being built like a tank, I'll check it out as second BUG.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Bullet Setback or smilies and broken hammer springs have been my main problems

The website says they'll be out in mid march.

They looked nice at SHotshow.

I don’t know about you, but I only shoot my nosey cricket enough to know it works and like the ammo I have in it.

So far my 2nd generation P3 AT works like a champ and has never given me a minute’s problem. Sure I would like a side lock but not enough to pay the bucks to trade.

I'll wait for the review...also, there will be quite a few on the Kel Tec site who will purchase the Ruger...compare the two and will be willing to give an inpartial review. Looks like the metal slide is a bit heavier on the Ruger and the barrel is a tad bit longer; the trigger poundage is higher as well...not sure why Ruger did that.

Naw...I'm waiting for Ruger's copy of the S&W 642 coming out in Titanium and chambered in the .327 magnum. Now...that will be a snubby I wont pass up on.

I have a P3AT and have had NO TROUBLE with it! All the complains came from the frist generation. I have gone to the range many times and shot with both hands and one hand and never had any thing go wrong.

I would still like to check out the ruger just to hold it but I am keeping my P3AT.
    Last edited by Mongoose; February 8th, 2008 at 05:59 PM.

I like my P-3AT, haven't had any problems with it during the 2 yrs I've owned it and recommend them to anyone looking for an easy to conceal, affordable personal defense gun. Still, I can't understand all the animosity by a lot of K-T owners towards Ruger for "building a better mouse trap"? Nobody is saying K-T can't build (and we can't buy if we choose) their gun or that Ruger will now be the only maker of affordable, reasonably powerful pocket pistols. Competition is good for the consumer and what's wrong with having a choice. Even if the new gun is a copy of the P-3AT, Ruger seems to have refined it and added several useful features... something K-T has failed to do. Why? Probably because there HASN'T been any real competition for K-T for the past ten years! K-T has had a captive audience, so to speak, therefore there was no incentive to upgrade or improve. OTOH, there are at least a dozen builders in the US of 1911 style pistols, who knows how many builders of AR style rifles and as many makers of "clones" of Col. Colt's revolvers, yet I don't hear a big cry of "rip-off" from original, Colt built, gun owners.

Form follows function and Ruger has decided to fill a spot in the gun world that until now, K-T and their P-3AT had a monopoly on... a small, AFFORDABLE, easy to conceal pistol in a caliber of reasonable size/caliber. If this new Ruger is as reliable as their other pistols, add to it the fact it has both a slide lock/release and a second strike ability that the P-3AT currently does not and will sell for about the same price as the P-3AT, K-T may soon find itself with a LOT of pistols sitting on shelves unsold!

If Ruger can build - essentially - the same gun, along with the added features already mentioned, at around the same price and with typical Ruger reliability then more power to them. Competition has been the cause for improvement in most of the things we buy and us consumers/users can now pick the model, features and price that suit each of us.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I was wondering how long it would be until this would come up. lol.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links