Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm?

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Although my original thinking was to get a 1911 in the conventional .45ACP, given the constantly increasing cost of ammunition, my need to practice a ...

Although my original thinking was to get a 1911 in the conventional .45ACP, given the constantly increasing cost of ammunition, my need to practice a lot to become familiar with the 1911, and my personal comfort with the 9mm as a defensive round, I started thinking about the possibility of getting a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm.

However, it is my understanding that the 1911 was originally designed for the .45ACP round, and I was wondering whether there are increased reliability issues caused because of the need to convert the 1911 model from the .45ACP to 9mm. Does anyone have first hand experience or information on this question?

I have not made a final decision yet, but would like to have this as an option, but only if I will not be creating potential reliability issues.

Thanks.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

JD
    Administrator
    It's funny, I was actually looking at one today.

The main problem I've come across in non-.45ACP 1911s, is the magazine seletion, Tripp Research is now making full size Tripp Cobra Mags for 9mm 1911s, IF I were to buy a 9mm 1911, those would be the only mags for me.

As long as you buy new, you should be ok, if there is a problem after the 500 round break-in period, Kimber will fix it, just remember, they only offer a 1 year warranty.

The only things different in a 9mm 1911 are the slide stop, slide (smaller breach face), the mag (uses a spacer to keep the cartridge in the right place, and the barrel.

Lower cost alternatives?

Ron: You mentioned practice ammo cost (9mm vs. .45) and reliability concerns in connection with your consideration of a Kimber Pro Carry in 9mm for CCW.

I have a Kimber Pro in .45 and it has been reliable for me. I have no experience with the 9mm version of this gun, however.

A Kimber Pro in any caliber is a fairly expensive gun, probably running between $750 and $900 new, depending on which model you buy. There are certainly cheaper 9mm alternatives in the market, and if ammo cost is a consideration you might want to go with a 9mm gun that will save you some money and is priced in the $500 range. You could also find a gun that is smaller and lighter weight than a Kimber Pro, which is about 28 ounces empty and has a 4 inch barrel and long grip, making it a little harder to conceal.

I have a couple of 9mm guns that I have used for CCW, a Glock 19 and a Kahr MK9, and both are smaller, lighter and cheaper than a Kimber Pro. I bought the G19 used for $350 a few years ago, and the MK9 used for $500 last year. The G19 holds 15 +1 rounds and weighs about 22 ounces empty, and is more compact and easier to conceal than the Kimber Pro. The Kahr MK9 (6+1 rounds) is all steel and heavy, about 24 ounces empty, but is so small that it conceals better than almost anything else I have. Both the G19 and the MK9 have been 100% reliable for me and are adequately accurate.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

JD
    Administrator
    I do tend to agree with Pogo one this one, if I wanted another single stack 9mm, I'd go with a Kahr or a Sig 239.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Ron: You mentioned practice ammo cost (9mm vs. .45) and reliability concerns in connection with your consideration of a Kimber Pro Carry in 9mm for CCW.

I have a Kimber Pro in .45 and it has been reliable for me. I have no experience with the 9mm version of this gun, however.

A Kimber Pro in any caliber is a fairly expensive gun, probably running between $750 and $900 new, depending on which model you buy. There are certainly cheaper 9mm alternatives in the market, and if ammo cost is a consideration you might want to go with a 9mm gun that will save you some money and is priced in the $500 range. You could also find a gun that is smaller and lighter weight than a Kimber Pro, which is about 28 ounces empty and has a 4 inch barrel and long grip, making it a little harder to conceal.

I have a couple of 9mm guns that I have used for CCW, a Glock 19 and a Kahr MK9, and both are smaller, lighter and cheaper than a Kimber Pro. I bought the G19 used for $350 a few years ago, and the MK9 used for $500 last year. The G19 holds 15 +1 rounds and weighs about 22 ounces empty, and is more compact and easier to conceal than the Kimber Pro. The Kahr MK9 (6+1 rounds) is all steel and heavy, about 24 ounces empty, but is so small that it conceals better than almost anything else I have. Both the G19 and the MK9 have been 100% reliable for me and are adequately accurate.
    Pogo, your point is well taken. I, too, have a 9mm in a smaller and lighter package that has been 100% reliable through over 1,000 rounds. It is a Walther P99c. No problem with it at all. It is just that, like many of us I have become enamored with the 1911, and thought that it would be a nice addition. But, I suppose that if I am going to get a
    1911, since I already have a nice 9mm semi-automatic, it probably makes more sense to stay with the .45.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I've been a range officer for years and shoot my Kimber 9mms every week. I have only great things to say about Kimber 9mm 1911s. I currently own the Ultra and Pro Aegis II 9mm Kimbers and both have worked flawlessly. I carry the Ultra Aegis stoked with 124 gr. Speer Gold Dots (for short barrel pistols) in an IWB Milt Sparks VersiMax II. I'm totally confident with this choice. Dennis

I have been contemplating a smaller 1911 platform in 9mm for carry. I have two Government model 1911's and a CCO. The Kimber mentioned by DennisE - Ultra Aegis and the Springfield EMP are the two great choices. I had the opportunity to get a EMP in my hands for the first time the other day. Fit and finish are top notch and those on this forum who have them speak highly about the pistol.

Links