Olympic Arms 1911 reputation?

This is a discussion on Olympic Arms 1911 reputation? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am torn between two pistols for my virgin venture into CCW. This site has been a nearly bottomless well of opinions, knowledge, and advice ...

Thread: Olympic Arms 1911 reputation?

Olympic Arms 1911 reputation?

I am torn between two pistols for my virgin venture into CCW. This site has been a nearly bottomless well of opinions, knowledge, and advice for me and I can't tell you how much I apreciate it!

My question has to do with one of my choices, the 1911. I've been trying to look at all the 1911's out there and choose one that is not too pricey but reliable, and with a good reputaion to back up the suposed reliability(every gunmaker CLAIMS to have the miracle cure gun that beats all). I had settled on a Taurus PT1911(more bells & whistles for a cheap price) or a Springfield 1911 G.I.(possibly a more reliable, bare bones gun). But then I stumbled on the most beautiful gun I've ever laid eyes on(prepare to laugh at me in 3..2..1...), the Olympic Arms Westerner 1911 with a 6" barrel. Boy am I hooked! I've never seen a case hardend 1911 before & I love it. Now, I'm aware that a 6" barrel is pushing it for CCW so I would be getting the 5" version. As much as I love the looks of the gun, I'm not willing to carry a peice of pretty junk. It's Concealed Carry Weapon, not Concealed Carry Crap! So I need to hear if anyone has an Olympic Arms gun and what they think about them. Good? Bad? Definetly NOT ugly!

Olympic Arms, Inc. - Westerner Series

Pic added by QKS

So, whats the reputation of Olympic Arms?

Thanks- John

PS- I case your wondering the other gun I'm thinking about is the Glock 29(10mm).
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 8th, 2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added link....

2. Remove Ads

I like it except for the grips.
    Texas Citizens Defense League©

http://txcdl.org/

I agree with Impax. I really like the look. I'd have to check on the rear sights. They look high and sharp in the picture. Most important...Will it fire, first time...every time? Good Shooting.

My Springfield GI is plenty pretty.

Going for the latest fad, or a gimic coating is fine and all in an iPod. But i suggest going for reliable first in a carry weapon.

Just my 2 cents.

I have owned and shot many Safari Arms/Oly Arms guns in my day.
    Very accurate, nice quality for the money. I personally would have no issues with them. I have looked at the one you are looking at in person, and yes, it is sexy for sure. Luck..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I thought the same thing about the sights. Does anyone know about the durability of the case hardend finish? I'm not familiar with it. Also, can a person get a gun that is, i.e. blued, finished that way? Like if I bought a G.I.(awesome G.I. by the way, LOVE the grips!) can I get it case hardend by a gunsmith? I really like the look.

Thanks! -John

I don't know about Olympic's reputation with 1911s - I didn't even know they made them. As far as AR-15s are concerned they are considered the worst by many. I have no personal experience with them - I don't trust them based on their reputation. JMO

Austin

Oly and Safari used to be the "cool" guns years ago, I didn't know they were still being produced. I spend a lot of time on the 1911forum and haven't heard a peep about them. Case hardening is not a coating or finish, it's a heat treatment involving oil. I've got a couple old case hardened pocket knives that look brand new after years of abuse.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacJack View Post
    I thought the same thing about the sights. Does anyone know about the durability of the case hardend finish? I'm not familiar with it. Also, can a person get a gun that is, i.e. blued, finished that way? Like if I bought a G.I.(awesome G.I. by the way, LOVE the grips!) can I get it case hardend by a gunsmith? I really like the look.

Thanks! -John
    Some threads regarding 1911 case hardening, some Oly specific, some not.

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Color Case Blueing on a 1911 ?????
    The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Westerner
    Color Case Hardening... - 1911Forum
    Color Case Hardening on a 1911 slide? - 1911Forum
    Olympic Arms color case hardened 1911's - 1911Forum

I never knew that they made a 1911.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links