Broken Kimber - Page 2

Broken Kimber

This is a discussion on Broken Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Tac Ultra II is at Kimber right now, being worked on. They are going to replace the slide for me, so maybe im getting ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Kimber

My Tac Ultra II is at Kimber right now, being worked on. They are going to replace the slide for me, so maybe im getting lucky and thats all she need, because frankly, other then some feeding issues, I love the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I have an original model of the Kimber Stainless Compact and know what you are talking about. I bought the gun "used", although in excellent condition, a couple of years ago. Each time I had a range trip, no matter how many rounds fired, I field stripped, cleaned and inspected (still do with every handgun-every trip) the gun and found that the guide rod had become partially unscrewed from the guide rod head. I emailed the Kimber CS department and was told that that particular assembly of guide rod was originally hit with a dab of lock-tite, and a cleaning of the parts and drop of lock-tite would solve the problem. Mine is the 4" compact that requires the "paper clip" take down tool, so it is very important to get the rod in the perfect position before application of the lock-tite... so I was told.

I did not do the lock-tite thing, but make sure to check thetightness of the guide rod occassionally during extended range trips. For everyday carry I have found the guide rod does NOT require any attention unless it's been shot quite a few rounds. So, in my non-professional opinion there is absolutely nothing to worry about for a carry gun if you give it the proper TLC anyway

surv
    Holy Smokes!!! Can you believe that you must use 'lock tite' on a pistol with that high price to maintain the most critical assembly of the gun!!!?????
    It occurs to me that Kimber should engineer a better assembly!!
    I'm not any sort of mechanical engineer type --- not by any definition --- but I certainly know 'crap' when I see it!!! A close inspection of this assembly would tell anybody that it would fail after continuous poundings from .45 Cal. ammo!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Saint77 View Post
    My Tac Ultra II is at Kimber right now, being worked on. They are going to replace the slide for me, so maybe im getting lucky and thats all she need, because frankly, other then some feeding issues, I love the gun.
    I found that any feeding issues I have had, (and there have been few), are resolved by purchasing Wilson Combat Magazines. In my experience --- they are the best!!!

JD
    Administrator
    Desperado, I made an OOPS, check your PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Holy Smokes!!! Can you believe that you must use 'lock tite' on a pistol with that high price to maintain the most critical assembly of the gun!!!?????
    It occurs to me that Kimber should engineer a better assembly!!
    I'm not any sort of mechanical engineer type --- not by any definition --- but I certainly know 'crap' when I see it!!! A close inspection of this assembly would tell anybody that it would fail after continuous poundings from .45 Cal. ammo!!!
    A few words on loctite if I may, there are three common types, keepign it simple and brief here, red, blue, and green. blue being most common. Its usually not the pounding that loosens it up, its heat. I wonder if Kimber uses the blue stuff.

I found that any feeding issues I have had, (and there have been few), are resolved by purchasing Wilson Combat Magazines. In my experience --- they are the best!!!
    Well, I thought of that when I had this issue, picked up a Wilson mag, and still had the same issues. I called Kimber up and talked ot Jimmy up there and he said go ahead and send it in, its under warranty. Which I was happy to do because it was a used gun when I bought it, and I dont know any local gun smiths whom I trust real well. Might as well be Kimber, and its on their dime. Anyway, Jimmy called me up today and said the extractor shelf was causign the problems and they are replacing the slide.

Isn't an H&K a DA pistol?? I can't go there. Just can't deal with DA vs. SA!!

H&K lem trigger v1 cocked and locked. like the 1911 minus the breaking part
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

All pistols seem to have their "issues" but it seems that I've been reading more and more about Kimber and their "issues".

It makes me think they may have more "issues" than some of the other manufacturers. I don't know. I do know that while I want a Kimber Warrior, I won't risk parting with my money foolishly and will buy something not made by Kimber.

Yes, I am in the market for a 1911 for "Range Use Only". I'll stick with the revolver or the double action "bottomfeeder" for the street.

Biker

Welcome to the world of over priced junk from Yonkers, get rid of it trade it on anything else, i've had three and every one had different problems.... Frankly they are good for nothing other then paper weights.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I do not and will not own a Kimber. Seen too many of them malfunction at numerous matches. Mostly FT Feed. Talked to the owners and all were broken in full size weapons. I'll stick to my pretty much plain jane Springfields which have given me very few problems. Let me claify this: My full size 1911 has NEVER burped since 1993 on anything I have fed it. My Champion doesn't like Winchester Silvertip HP's but will gobble up the 230 gr Winchester Rangers LE's, which are the rounds I carry. Also use nothing but Wilson 8 rd. mags. For the last 2 years I also use MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil for cleaning and lubing all my guns. This product is the cat's meow!!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Well --- here's the 'fix' for my current problem --- for now.

The dealer swapped my broken assembly for one out of a 'new' range gun. It appears to be sound. I'll give it a try. They sell a lot of Kimbers and were 'dumbstruck' about the problem. They'd never seen it happen before.

On Monday morning, I'll call Kimber and see whether they can give me a better feeling about the pistol. (Heck --- I might even give lock-tite a try). For now, I will carry the Colt 'Lightweight' Commander and run a bunch more rounds thru the Kimber. If heat is what makes it fail -- then heat it shall be!!

Thanks all, for giving me your comments and experiences!! If anyone runs across an aftermarket 'fix' I'd sure like to hear about it!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links