Broken Kimber

Broken Kimber

This is a discussion on Broken Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, I attended a 'Defensive Shooting' class. We fired 300 rounds over a 6 hour course. About 150 rounds into the class, my Kimber 'Ultra ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Kimber

Broken Kimber

Yesterday, I attended a 'Defensive Shooting' class. We fired 300 rounds over a 6 hour course. About 150 rounds into the class, my Kimber 'Ultra CDP II' threw a guide rod assembly. The gun has had about 600 rounds through it since purchased.
    The rod separated from the guide rod head. Upon close inspection, I really have doubts that Kimber's method of attaching these two, very critical pieces is sound!! Although the gun shop where I purchased the pistol very graciously replaced the assembly, I have real trepidations that this may occur again!!! I have lost a great deal of faith in this otherwise, very well built pistol!!!
    Has anyone else had this same experience???
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

JD
    Administrator
    No, but I've had quite a few other issues with three other Kimbers.

JD --- can you expand on that?? Can I expect additional problems??

JD
    Administrator
    You might, you might not. I've been 50/50 on them.

I had a CDP Pro II in .40 that needed about an extra $200 and 3 months of worth of work, including recutting of the feed ramp on the barrel, replacing the extractor, mag catch, ejector replaced and throating the barrel....on a custom shop gun.

I didn't even bother sending it to Kimber, if that is what they called a Custom gun and it passed QC and left the factory, I don't trust them. I sent it to EGW to get fixed well enough to sell it at a horrible loss.

Had a Stainless Ultra Carry pre series II, that needed almost the same work.

Oh I forgot, I had a batch of Kimber .40 mags that were marked wrong, the mags were actually 9mm mags and the

feed lips were jacking me up.

And the wife has a CDP Ultra pre series II, that when you tapped the slide from the muzzle end with the palm of your hand, you could force the slide in between the area where the thumb safety meets the frame, pushing the slide back about 1/8th of an inch, locking the slide out of battery. She found that out when she dropped it, she didn't notice it until she got home, good thing she didn't need it, other wise the gun wouldn't have fired. The piece of crap MIM safety got replaced with a steel Wilson safety.

We bought the CDP Ultra in a rush for some other reasons, the wife needed another gun to replace the POS Stainless Ultra Carry, and we figured a pre series II would be ok, took me 3 days to find one used, and other than the safety issue, it's been a worker.

I had a CDP Compact pre-series II and it ran flawless.

WOW!! That doesn't give me much confidence!!

I love this little pistol and it certainly has many really nice features for 'carry'. After last evening however, I don't feel that I can trust it. Especially after having a good, close look at what failed.
    I am a 1911 guy. I can't stand a DA trigger of any sort and I hate plastic, wide body guns!!! Perhaps I should stay with my Colt 'Lightweight' Commander. Although it's a 4" gun, it does not have a 'guide rod' and I've never had a problem with it -- but for magazines that didn't feed well. (Now use only Wilson Combat Mags.)
    Darn it!!!!! I really like the Kimber!!!!
    Thanks for the additional information!
    PVR

I own a Kimber Ultra Raptor, Pro Raptor II, Grand Raptor II, AegisII and Stainless Target.
    I have not had any more issues with them than with my Combat Commander, Wesson Bobtails, SA guns, too many to list here..
    You sometimes get a firearm that has issues, bottom line. Yes, for the price, one would not expect that, but, it is what it is.
    Read any forum on 1911's and you will find ALL of them have issues. Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

JD --- reading your reply again, it seems all the trouble you had was with pre- series II pistols. Do you have any faith that the 'series II' guns got better??? (Grasping for some hope here!!)

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    I own a Kimber Ultra Raptor, Pro Raptor II, Grand Raptor II, AegisII and Stainless Target.
    I have not had any more issues with them than with my Combat Commander, Wesson Bobtails, SA guns, too many to list here..
    You sometimes get a firearm that has issues, bottom line. Yes, for the price, one would not expect that, but, it is what it is.
    Read any forum on 1911's and you will find ALL of them have issues. Luck.
    Yes --- I know you're right. It's all about finding the pistol you can stake your life on. I have a couple of those but they just don't have the 'carry qualities' this Kimber has. I'm obviously frustrated that I think I have found the perfect 'carry gun' and suddenly discover it may not be reliable!!!!

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I have read on various boards that Kimber's QC the last few years has gone to hell in a handcart. You might get a great gun, you might get crap. A bit too much much of the later for the price, you ask me.

Trade it on a H&K and don't worry!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Yes --- I know you're right. It's all about finding the pistol you can stake your life on. I have a couple of those but they just don't have the 'carry qualities' this Kimber has. I'm obviously frustrated that I think I have found the perfect 'carry gun' and suddenly discover it may not be reliable!!!!
    If it is mechanical, guess what, it can and WILL break, just a matter of when. I have owned, shot and played with more guns than most will in their lifetime like many here. Want something you can bank on, go with a Glock, all though I don't like them, or, Sig, which I do have a love for....or....you get the idea.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Trade it on a H&K and don't worry!
    Isn't an H&K a DA pistol?? I can't go there. Just can't deal with DA vs. SA!!

JD
    Administrator
    Actually, the one with the worst of the problems WAS a series II.
    Like I said, you may have more problems you may not, I got hosed 2, well almost 3 times out of 4, maybe I just have bad luck. Plenty of others have good Kimbers.

If it's still under the one year warranty, send it in if you have any further problems.

In all honesty, I'll probably never buy another Kimber again.

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    If it is mechanical, guess what, it can and WILL break, just a matter of when. I have owned, shot and played with more guns than most will in their lifetime like many here. Want something you can bank on, go with a Glock, all though I don't like them, or, Sig, which I do have a love for....or....you get the idea.
    You know ---- my Colts always have run very well. Rarely ever have any issue with them --- and I've had them for many years!!! This Kimber is such a fine pistol with great features ---- sadly it may have to pass through my hands because of manufacturing issues that Kimber QC could have spotted. I think I just can't trust it. Probably will have to dress appropriately to carry the Commander. That's a gun I know I can trust!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have an original model of the Kimber Stainless Compact and know what you are talking about. I bought the gun "used", although in excellent condition, a couple of years ago. Each time I had a range trip, no matter how many rounds fired, I field stripped, cleaned and inspected (still do with every handgun-every trip) the gun and found that the guide rod had become partially unscrewed from the guide rod head. I emailed the Kimber CS department and was told that that particular assembly of guide rod was originally hit with a dab of lock-tite, and a cleaning of the parts and drop of lock-tite would solve the problem. Mine is the 4" compact that requires the "paper clip" take down tool, so it is very important to get the rod in the perfect position before application of the lock-tite... so I was told.

I did not do the lock-tite thing, but make sure to check thetightness of the guide rod occassionally during extended range trips. For everyday carry I have found the guide rod does NOT require any attention unless it's been shot quite a few rounds. So, in my non-professional opinion there is absolutely nothing to worry about for a carry gun if you give it the proper TLC anyway

surv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links