Rohrbaugh owner hindsight questions

This is a discussion on Rohrbaugh owner hindsight questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, those of you that have carried the Rohrbaugh R9 models, could you please tell me if any of you went back to carring another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rohrbaugh owner hindsight questions

So, those of you that have carried the Rohrbaugh R9 models, could you please tell me if any of you went back to carring another brand of pocket pistol (like a Seecamp or NAA .380s ) after purchasing and carrying the Rohrbaugh?

I am trying to find out if anyone had found that perhaps a .380 tended to be more practical to carry due to size or perhaps because you could practice with a .380 more than you could with the Rohrbaugh. Whatever reasons you might have (if at all) I would appreciate the input so that I purchase the most practical pocket gun the first time around. The most difficult place for me to conceal carry is the front pocket of my not too tight blue jeans. I carry a S&W 340PD there now, so, these autos ought to be easier. I really like the idea of a Rohrbaugh but it is expensive so I do appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you!

I ran into some issues with my R9S after putting about 100 rounds through it. All of it turned out to be operator error, and a poor choice of practice ammo. As much as I love my Glock 36, the Rohrbaugh is the gun I carry probably 80% of the time, because it's just so easy to throw in a pocket.

The Rohrbaugh is like owning a Ferrari. Expensive? Yep. Likely to last 150,000 miles? Probably not. Still, if you do the factory maintenance and feed it the good stuff, ownership can be very satisfying. In any case, you wouldn't consider buying a Ferrari if what you really needed was an F150 pickup.

Here's what I've learned about mine:

1) The range of ammo that the gun likes is limited. Most owners either shoot defensive ammo (like Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points) only, or use Winchester white box for range ammo. DO NOT use cheap or reloaded ammo - the bulk of my problems were caused by using UMC ammo.

2) You really need to follow the factory guidelines for maintenance, which includes changing the recoil spring at 100 rounds. Not a big deal, as the spring can be ordered from the manufacturer and only costs $4 or $5.

3) There is a myth floating around that the gun will only last for a few hundred rounds. This is not the case, as there are Rohrbaugh owners with thousands of rounds through their R9s, with no problems other than normal wear. Still, if you're planning on shooting 500 rounds per week, the R9 is not the gun for you.

Every time I shoot it, I'm more and more impressed with the quality of the gun. Would I buy another? Sure would, since there is nothing else like it on the market.

Thanks UpOn2Wheels, that is very helpful. I have lurked on the Rohrbaugh forum and am not worried about the spring life, gun's life-span and so on issues like some. I think those of us that have shot enough to carry guns like a lightweight 9mm or .357 don't have to worry about practicing several hundred rounds per month with a specific pocket pistol. I mean my cumulative practice over 30 years or so and my regular practice with other guns makes me feel proficient with any gun that I carry as long as I shoot it a little per range session.

I like the Ferrari analogy, it makes me want the Rohrbaugh more!

Thanks for the input and keep it coming please!
    Last edited by PShooter; February 9th, 2008 at 04:15 PM.

I will keep mine....wonderin how much practice is needed for a 5-8yd shot,,,,it's not a range gun.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I have not had my r9 long enough to know yet but I can tell you its a awsome gun. It's high price will be forgotten as soon as you have your hands on one. Infact I have ordered a second one because I like the first so much.

Looking at the pics, how are the grips for holding,,look to be a tad slippery,, haven't seen one up close whats the size comparison to the Secamp???

None of the dealers will order one unless its bought before hand

At the SHOT Show I talked to Chris, owner of Alumagrips. He's now making his great grips for Rohrbaugh. If you want something unique, (not that your pistol isn't aready) give him a call!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Rohrbaugh R9s

I carried my Rohrbaugh R9s all summer long. The smaller size was nice. I carry IWB and could hardly tell it was there.
    I do not worry about the spring, its cheap, easy to get and the firearm comes apart easy enough. The grips are just fine too no need to change them.
    No ftf,fte, or problems at all. I only shoot the recommended ammo for practice and carry corbon or golden sabers.
    I am very happy with my R9 and carry it in my vest as I ride my H-D
    In colder weather I carry a Kimber Ultra carry with slim grips IWB
    I would not hesitate to purchase another Rohrbaugh in the future.

On the other hand I also own the seecamp 380, this gun is very painful on my trigger finger to shoot, I have some arthritis in my hands and am thinking of selling the seecamp because it hurts so much. shoots fine no problems, but too small of a trigger guard for me.

Griz

Had one, sold it, was ok but heavy in the pocket and not for me ultimately. small guns are hard to fight with but as for a bug i prefer a J/small frame revo. I actually have a small frame in 9mm, bought it for $300.00. i think the R9 was $1,100.00. In the end, $1,100.00 is to much for a pocket paper weight that is rarely shot that you may or my not be able to depend on.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

too much for my budget
    Jack dog

I had one, but sold it. The ammunition requirements were too strict for my taste. When it was new, I had FTF's and FTE's. I had to send it back to Rohrbaugh for repair (that seems to be a common occurrence with this handgun - sending it back to Rohrbaugh that is, but the company stands behind it). When it was returned, I had learned more about it; I had no FTF's if I used Speer Gold Dot ammo. But after about 20-30 rounds, my hand was aching. I subsequently returned to my PM9 and MK9.

There is a forum dedicated to the Rohrbaugh:
    The Rohrbaugh Forum - Index

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    there is nothing else like it on the market.
    not sure how you mean that.

R9s
    OVERALL LENGTH: 5.2 INCHES
    OVERALL HEIGHT: 3.7 INCHES
    SLIDE WIDTH: 0.812 INCHES
    BARREL LENGTH: 2.9 INCHES
    WEIGHT: 12.8 OZ
    6 + 1
    "DO NOT LOAD WITH +P OR +P+ AMMUNITION"

PM9
    OVERALL LENGTH: 5.3 INCHES
    OVERALL HEIGHT: 4.0 INCHES
    SLIDE WIDTH: 0.90 INCHES
    BARREL LENGTH: 3.0 INCHES
    WEIGHT: 14 OZ
    6 + 1
    fires +P

PF9
    OVERALL LENGTH: 5.85 INCHES
    OVERALL HEIGHT: 4.3 INCHES
    SLIDE WIDTH: 0.88 INCHES
    BARREL LENGTH: 3.1 INCHES
    WEIGHT: 12.7 OZ
    7 + 1
    +P not for 'continuous use'

The Rohrbaugh is unique in that it was first and is still smallest, but IMHO today the R9 faces increasing competition, copmpetition that will grow as other manufacturers 'go small' for 9mm. So the Rohrbaugh R9 is no longer alone in its class -- except in price.

Rounded, out the door, YMMV:
    $300 gets a KelTec
    $600 a Kahr
    $1200 a Rohrbaugh

I like my R9 but it is rather heavy for pocket carry when wearing light weight pants, (like for a suit). It works great with jeans and heavier weight kahki pants.

NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

$300 gets a KelTec
    $600 a Kahr
    $1200 a Rohrbaugh

Pretty much right on with pricing but with all three there are issues with reliability with Keltec being the #1 POS on that list with the Rohrbaugh taking second due to how expensive it is and being unreliable out oif the box and majorly picky with Kahr a not so distant third in disappointment.

If any gun cannot stand up to a day of use in an 8 hour, 800 rd training class and ask for more I don't want to carry it. I don't care if it's a bug or not.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

The recoil on my R9 is very tolerable, but I do not shoot 100's of rnds with it each practice. I shoot a couple of mags of the Win white box (easy to get and cheap at Meijers or wally world)
    I trade off and shoot a Bersa 380 CC no sights for point shooting practice.
    Oh Yea I paid 900.00 and change for my R9 NIB at my local gun show.
    Yes a bunch of bucks, but my R-9 is not a plastic POS I have had NO problems.
    Its like everything else, you either get a good one or you don't.
    I love my Kimbers as well I have two, no problems at all.
    On the 1911 forum, kimbers get bashed all the time.

To each their own I guess
    Last edited by Josey Wales; February 10th, 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links